What's new

Question Best way to use the ice clone?

Hi I was wondering how to make the most use of ice clone in term of placement and best time to use if anyone could help me it would be appreciated,, thanks

JYM60

Noob
Best used as a defensive tool basically. If an opponent jumps in with an air attack Ice clone is a great counter. It will make him weary of jumping in, constantly. Good for zoning and keeping distance between you and your opponent too.

I don't know any logical offensive uses for it, others might though.
It can be used for showy moves like ex slide into Ice clone, and uppercut combos. But in a match, those are stupid.

Zedox

Noob
Thanks for the help I'm still having troubel w/ other zoners with subby though any advice?
It really depends on the character. If the zoners projectile can be ducked, duck the first one dash then block the second, then slide to get closer. I wouldn't recommend always sliding though because it's punishable on block. Kabal for instance, he can take away he air and the ground from you. You have to be careful. Kabal is a character you want close, as a Sub player.

Oh and I wouldn't want to use clones to keep distance, I would use clones to get closer to corner them.

Kryplixx

Noob
People give you a lot of shit because of this move. "Ice clone fucking pussy".

And I'm not full screen hiding behind it.... I use it rather close to keep pushing them to the corner.

I've been having some success using it to control space. You can cancel a dash to create a standing clone, which covers you against most air attacks. Subzero's hitbox seems to be higher when he dashes than when he stands normally, I've had a lot of really silly approaches get frozen. Also, if you drop a clone then stand in front of it you can completely shut down teleporters.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
I don't know any logical offensive uses for it, others might though.
It can be used for showy moves like ex slide into Ice clone, and uppercut combos. But in a match, those are stupid.
No disrespect but, whyd you say its stupid to use it in match? Damage % is low?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Ice clone is best used in conjunction with his other tools to get the opponent to the corner. If you can set it up properly, you effectively cut off space from the opponent and force them into the corner, where clone becomes even more dangerous than it is at midscreen.

JakubDi

Noob
IMO spamming d,b+1 far from the opponent is not such a bad tactic since it build your Super Meter (slowly, but still).

Apart from that I like using the clone after d+1 which leaves it at point blank.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
question about the ice clone, i observed that the ice clone doesnt work when you are near your opponent? Do I have to keep a distance for the ice clone to work? Thanks

JakubDi

Noob
It doesn't work at range zero since it'd freeze your opponent immediately. If you want to do it close from your opponent, try d+1~d,b+1.

the :bp:fp:bp string is nice to pop a clone near the oponnent. With him cornered, he cant even move. And if he takes a slide while in there, he will be frozen by the clone while in the air, allowing you to perform a 40% combo w/o :x , so you can test his reflexes using :r: bk + slide or the slide alone. Im really new to the game, so there must be a lot of ways to move out of that w/o teleports. At least I hope so, coz if after the clone you time another :bp:fp:bp string well enough, you can start it before the first clone ends and cancel it onto new clone, and keep repeating that.

this is the best pic I could get with my crappy phone:

I just found out that the slide trick is char specific. It works against Ermac, dont work against kunglao and scorpion, Havent tried anothers chars yet.

Ice Clone is amazing and I got a theory on corner raping.

So I woke up today with an idea on how to corner rape non TP characters hardcore. Basically tiger knee ice clone (u, d+b 1). Now you may be thinking what the hell is this guy talking about considering I'm sure this increases recovery not decreases it but if done right. Stryker cant use his rolll bf 4 which that crap goes under so much and he cant jump out of it either. I would actually go as far as to say its worth doing EX ice clone when using this set up.

If the person is close to the corner but not quite there I use 214 to put them in the corner. Sure its weak but by not doing the slide it gives you more time to set up the ice clone and commence the wall rape. Another idea I had was while their in the corner with ice clone there is do db 3. Yes the move is slow and yes if they jump it nothing happens but basically it will get them to start panicking. If they start to panic and you stay calm you can start bending the opponent to your will.

A couple other ice setups I use is 22(max distance) db 1 this will stretch out his body so it pretty hard to get around and when done at the right distance ice clone will actually come out after 22. Last ice clone set up I use of whom I got this from is "Im Molsen" is d 4, db 1 yes this is probably the lowest to the ground clone you'll see but it streches out the clone gets you away from sweeps and if they try to jump in and attack you block it the opponent falls on it. In theory this sound fine and dandy but I have yet to test all this out in a real match.

Use ice clone to corner, and while they are cornered. When they are cornered they can either wait til ice clone gets out or jump above. If they are blocking, just run in and throw. Corner trap with Ice Clone. Throw an ice blast at em. See what they do. Then counter that next time.

SubZ's slide is a better wakeup opttion, but it suppose it's situational.
I like to use Ice Clone as a jumping counter. I wanna try Ice Clone> See if they are ready to block and ice blast, if they are blocking, just go for a slide :)

I find that a lot of people get super defensive if you have a clone out as there are a lot of characters that the clone can completely mess up (rushdown characters with no teleport especially come into mind.)

Sometimes you can get a free throw on while they sit there and block. A lot of the guys I play with will sit in block a dash away on the other side of the clone so I get right behind it dash in quick and throw. Once they get use to that you can start with the 22 freeze after the first dash instead of double dashing in to throw.

The main thing I like to use it for is to make people play defensively and then punish them for that and push them further back and cut off more screen by putting another clone. You will inevitably push someone into the corner with it as there is little to be done unless they have teleport.

If people have a teleport I use it more sparingly but find myself trying to get in front of it so it can watch my back while I try to get in on them.

SLASH

Noob
I find this useful and true as well.
I find that a lot of people get super defensive if you have a clone out as there are a lot of characters that the clone can completely mess up (rushdown characters with no teleport especially come into mind.)

Sometimes you can get a free throw on while they sit there and block. A lot of the guys I play with will sit in block a dash away on the other side of the clone so I get right behind it dash in quick and throw. Once they get use to that you can start with the 22 freeze after the first dash instead of double dashing in to throw.

The main thing I like to use it for is to make people play defensively and then punish them for that and push them further back and cut off more screen by putting another clone. You will inevitably push someone into the corner with it as there is little to be done unless they have teleport.

If people have a teleport I use it more sparingly but find myself trying to get in front of it so it can watch my back while I try to get in on them.

Don't always just put the clone out there to be safe, no one will run into it and then after it breaks putting up another one is riskier. Instead, abuse the threat of the ice clone itself by walking towards them and potentially doing a random ice clone at any time. If they dash up at the wrong time you get a full combo, and if they jump in you can still anti-air ice clone. Walking in front of your ice clone is rather dangerous specifically because you can't make another one for anti-air and Sub's uppercut is good but not great.

ando1184

Noob
looked around but cant find any info on it but: Has anyone else noticed if ur standing on ur iceclone and u throw it will interrupt the throw and the freeze? basically u dont get the supposed throw dmg and u dont get a frozen opponent. What's up with that glitch and is there any word if NRS know of it and will try n fix it?

I thought I would chime in with my experience with playing sub zero. I have been watching a lot of tom brady and started to understand using ice clones can be used multiple ways.
People use clones to zone people. This works great for fighters that can't teleport. When I am faced with non tele fighter I use the clone to bait them and to also restrict THEIR movements. I take control on the zoning issues. Cornering them is the best method when controlling a fighter. Make them squishy and watch their blocks. Catch them off guard with a slide, hit them with ice balls to build meter, or take a dive and try to get them with a jump punch. If you catch them in air with the ice clone, get close to them and do the combo b1,2 2,2,2 or b1,2 2,1,2 which ever you prefer (i use 2,2,2 because i know i can spam the 2 without messing up the combo)
When fighting tele fighters I use an ice clone as a defense. I try and trick them into my clone, or hide in front of it to catch them with their tele. But when you fight Smoke DO NOT hide in front of it, throw the ice clone and immediately block. 9/10 times the smoke fighter will try to get you off guard when you clone with a tele, but since smokes tele hits from both sides it doesn't matter where you stand near the clone, it will freeze them as long as you block. (my friend actually pointed that out in a king of the hill match when I playing so Kudos to him).
Using the clone as a spacer against ranged fighters is kind of trick. Knowing how close and where to place the clone is difficult. Try sliding or iceballing to catch them off guard, or bait them to get close to you but stay away from their ranged attacks.
The only person I have problem with is a skilled Ermac fighter. Most Ermacs are slow and dont have the timing correct when performing their grabs. I spar against my friend who the best Ermac I ever fought and the moons and stars need to be aligned just right for me to even beat him in a round. So no advice on him, but you must know every fighters moves so you know how and when to place the clones. You also must (quickly) find out how that fighter is going to play (offense or defense).

Also I read somewhere on this thread somewhere that doing fancy moves like enhancing your slide to throw them into a clone is just for show. Actually if you can pull it off, and you need to get a quick combo in to beat them that move ROCKS. Thats a very fancy but smart tactic, especially for an Ermac :p

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
It really depends on the matchup. I've lamed it out so hard with the ice clone before but you have to be careful because one mistake can cost you a round and possibly a game you're trying to close out in this way. The thing with Sub is the ice clone allows you to dictate the pace of the game against a lot of characters. Against somebody like Johnny Cage, I'll quite often use the clone very predictably and safely until I decide to change gears and test him out. In those matchups, I use the clone to set up what I think of as raids, and then I retreat behind it again to try and draw the mistake. I use it in the same way against other Sub-Zeros.

The ice clone can be your best friend for defense and offense. Aside from always putting out a clone in the corner, it's just knowing your own patterns and not becoming too predictable.

Kwon

---->----
Against aggressive rushdowners, i use the clone as wake-up, otherwise i use the slide as wakeup.

Sometimes i plant a clone in the air while jumping just to test the opponent, but mainly i use the clone offensively to push the opponent into the corner.

Against Teleporters i usually just place the clone and push forward applying pressure.

D3 and Clone, Jump in punch and 2,2,4 Clone etc

Push the enemy back with either 2,1,2Clone or 2,2,4Clone.

Then when the opponent is in the corner, i plant the corner right in front of him and then do 2,2 or throw. Sometimes when i feel frisky, i even throw down a puddle on the turtle in the corner.

I only use the Puddle when i feel i have a lock on the enemy in the corner and he is turtling in fear.