What's new

Best stick for a stick noob?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I've thus far only been a pad player for all MK games, injustice, etc., but I am interested in getting a stick. I'm trying to figure out what type of stick people would recommend as a first purchase for someone that has never used one before.

Second part of my question is whether the existence of the block button makes sticks any less viable for MK than they are for other games without the block button such as street fighter, etc. This is an important question for me in deciding whether to get a stick. On the pad I press R2 so much that I have a callous on my right pointer finger. What finger do you use to block on the stick and does it cause a shitload of discomfort given that MK requires you to use that button so much?

Thx!

Vaiist

Noob
I've thus far only been a pad player for all MK games, injustice, etc., but I am interested in getting a stick. I'm trying to figure out what type of stick people would recommend as a first purchase for someone that has never used one before.

Second part of my question is whether the existence of the block button makes sticks any less viable for MK than they are for other games without the block button such as street fighter, etc. This is an important question for me in deciding whether to get a stick. On the pad I press R2 so much that I have a callous on my right pointer finger. What finger do you use to block on the stick and does it cause a shitload of discomfort given that MK requires you to use that button so much?

Thx!
I cannot recommend the hitbox enough. The inputs are so clean and nice, you really can't get that level of efficiency out of anything else.

www.hitboxarcade.com

It's a very strange concept at first and for a lot of people it seems to out there, but the truth is that any stick will feel weird if you've never used one before. Like anything, we adjust. It just takes time. And no, I don't think having a block button affects the stick vs no stick argument in any way. Personally, I keep mine bound to the bottom right button. I find that I can keep my pinky anchored there at all times and moves my other fingers independently without any issue.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I'd say if you're trying to jump into something new and you wanna play mainly MK, Hitbox is probably the absolute best way to go, but if you don't wanna go hitbox and just want a test out stick check out the Qanba Q1 that they have on their site. It works for PS3/MKX on PS4/PC and it's relatively cheap while being well enough built to know if you'll like stick after trying it out or not. It doesn't have like top of the line parts but I have one that I got for SFIV and it works perfectly well, especially if you're just trying to try it out for the first time.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I cannot recommend the hitbox enough. The inputs are so clean and nice, you really can't get that level of efficiency out of anything else.

www.hitboxarcade.com

It's a very strange concept at first and for a lot of people it seems to out there, but the truth is that any stick will feel weird if you've never used one before. Like anything, we adjust. It just takes time. And no, I don't think having a block button affects the stick vs no stick argument in any way. Personally, I keep mine bound to the bottom right button. I find that I can keep my pinky anchored there at all times and moves my other fingers independently without any issue.
Cool, thanks. did you find that your hands got stiff after the first few tries and then you had no discomfort after that? Also, Hitbox looks interesting to me, but having four buttons laid out like that for the directions seems odd to me. I wish there was a way I could test a stick out before buying, but pretty much everyone has said you have to either know someone who owns one (which I don't) or take the risk and buy one online.

Matix218

Get over here!
As far as the question regarding block button there was a specific "mk" arcade button layout that had the block button in the middle iirc. I know the mk9 sticks from pdp had that layout. I know countless players for mk9 and mkx use a conventional button layout as well and they don't seem to have any issues blocking. I think it is just all about whatever you get used to. I dint think there is a best "starter" stick for new stick players. It is going to be a tough transition from pad to stick no matter what stick you choose because it is just so different specifically getting used to movement/dashing etc. A good first sick would be a cheap used sick imo because that way if you end up not liking it you are not out as much money lol

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I'd say if you're trying to jump into something new and you wanna play mainly MK, Hitbox is probably the absolute best way to go, but if you don't wanna go hitbox and just want a test out stick check out the Qanba Q1 that they have on their site. It works for PS3/MKX on PS4/PC and it's relatively cheap while being well enough built to know if you'll like stick after trying it out or not. It doesn't have like top of the line parts but I have one that I got for SFIV and it works perfectly well, especially if you're just trying to try it out for the first time.
Thanks, I'll take a look at both of those options.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
As far as the question regarding block button there was a specific "mk" arcade button layout that had the block button in the middle iirc. I know the mk9 sticks from pdp had that layout. I know countless players for mk9 and mkx use a conventional button layout as well and they don't seem to have any issues blocking. I think it is just all about whatever you get used to. I dint think there is a best "starter" stick for new stick players. It is going to be a tough transition from pad to stick no matter what stick you choose because it is just so different specifically getting used to movement/dashing etc. A good first sick would be a cheap used sick imo because that way if you end up not liking it you are not out as much money lol
Yeah I should just try a cheap one first, makes sense. I need to find someone that has one in the Boston area so I can test it out, but if its less than $100 I could just buy it and keep it as a damn souvenir if I don't end up using it that much :p

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I play MKX on both Stick and Hitbox. A hitbox is by far the better option for Mkx, however learning how to play on a hitbox is a greater challange. What i mean with that is your inputs may be easier, but learning how to handle moving around, blocking, jumping, etc. in a real match is a bit tricky in my opinion.
Personally i use my stick more in MKX that my hitbox because i'm just more comfortable with it.
I recommend getting a Mad Catz TE2 if you plan on going the stick route. Its a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for with it. Easy to mod and fix and feels great to play on.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I play MKX on both Stick and Hitbox. A hitbox is by far the better option for Mkx, however learning how to play on a hitbox is a greater challange. What i mean with that is your inputs may be easier, but learning how to handle moving around, blocking, jumping, etc. in a real match is a bit tricky in my opinion.
Personally i use my stick more in MKX that my hitbox because i'm just more comfortable with it.
I recommend getting a Mad Catz TE2 if you plan on going the stick route. Its a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for with it. Easy to mod and fix and feels great to play on.
is the shifting of the entire thing in your lap ever an issue? Does it move around in your lap a lot or does it stay fairly stable (and is there any difference between the sticks you mentioned in that regard)?

FlappyDaniel

Yeah I should just try a cheap one first, makes sense. I need to find someone that has one in the Boston area so I can test it out, but if its less than $100 I could just buy it and keep it as a damn souvenir if I don't end up using it that much :p
The Q1 stick I am talking about is 70 bucks. As for shifting the more expensive ones are heavier and usually have a kind of low slip surface on the bottom.

FlappyDaniel

That's how I felt. I was like 'I have an actual job.... I wanna try stick. a 70 dollar stick is nothing" and honestly, for 70 bucks it's a solid little stick. like I said before, it's very barebones but for just making sure you actually wanna make the transition before upgrading to something nicer it's pretty perfect IMO.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
is the shifting of the entire thing in your lap ever an issue? Does it move around in your lap a lot or does it stay fairly stable (and is there any difference between the sticks you mentioned in that regard)?
My Stick doesnt shift because its a pretty hefty stick. I will say my hitbox did from time to time because its much smaller, so not when i play on it, i have it sitting on my desk instead of my lap.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'd recommend a q1 to start if you don't go with a hitbox. Cheap to buy, very nice and the next step up. The q4, is AMAZING.

Now I don't have a hitbox, but if you're primarily playing mkx, that would be the route of go to be honest.

Vaiist

Noob
Cool, thanks. did you find that your hands got stiff after the first few tries and then you had no discomfort after that? Also, Hitbox looks interesting to me, but having four buttons laid out like that for the directions seems odd to me. I wish there was a way I could test a stick out before buying, but pretty much everyone has said you have to either know someone who owns one (which I don't) or take the risk and buy one online.
Would my hands get stiff after the first few tries? No. However, I do get weird things going on with my fingers from time to time. Altough, I wouldn't say it's because of the hitbox exactly, more just that time gets away from me and I have marathon sessions where I forget to sleep and eat ;-)

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Would my hands get stiff after the first few tries? No. However, I do get weird things going on with my fingers from time to time. Altough, I wouldn't say it's because of the hitbox exactly, more just that time gets away from me and I have marathon sessions where I forget to sleep and eat ;-)
Lol, yeah I'll say that one of the reasons I've hesitated to get a stick up until now is that I have not wanted to be a resident of Arthritis City.

Vaiist

Noob
Lol, yeah I'll say that one of the reasons I've hesitated to get a stick up until now is that I have not wanted to be a resident of Arthritis City.
I didn't want to scare you off like that. What I'm talking about isn't so much arthritis, or even pain, it's more like phantom itches to press button patterns after living and breathing this game since launch day :confused:

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.

www.hitboxarcade.com

THIS. Learning stick motions can take a month or so to adjust completely. Learning hitbox? About...an hour. Then you're lightning.

Hmm...can you plug a keyboard into your console and set it as the controller? If so I used to rock lefthandy style on KoF Roms and its pretty close to hitbox save the jump button wasn't set to the thumb.

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
i actually have arthritis and lupus, and honestly. it feels so much better to play on a stick. the pad hurts my joints, where i can leave my hands on neutral on the stick. if you have any questions or tips to prevent joint soreness just pm me. good luck

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
YO! I'm selling a stick, and am in the boston area. It's a Madcatz TEs dual modded for ps3/360. It was the second stick I owned and used it all through the injustice era. I'll gladly bring it saturday to GU if you wanna try it out, regardless of purchase. PM if you've got an questions or concerns we could work out a deal, that price is negotiable.

Personally it only took me about two weeks to get my stick play on par with my pad play in training mode, after about a month I was so natural on it I didn't even notice.

Shamelss plug for the stuff I'm selling: http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/chatterbox-selling-trading-stuff-dual-modded-stick-360-and-games.53896/

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
THIS. Learning stick motions can take a month or so to adjust completely. Learning hitbox? About...an hour. Then you're lightning.

Hmm...can you plug a keyboard into your console and set it as the controller? If so I used to rock lefthandy style on KoF Roms and its pretty close to hitbox save the jump button wasn't set to the thumb.
Do most people use their thumb to jump on hitbox (e.g., the jump input is below the other directional inputs like down on a D-pad)? That seems disorienting, and would either make my fragile brain explode or permanently leave me in the state that Jason creates when he makes the world go red in Relentless. But I will take your word for it that it is not a rediculous learning curve

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
YO! I'm selling a stick, and am in the boston area. It's a Madcatz TEs dual modded for ps3/360. It was the second stick I owned and used it all through the injustice era. I'll gladly bring it saturday to GU if you wanna try it out, regardless of purchase. PM if you've got an questions or concerns we could work out a deal, that price is negotiable.

Personally it only took me about two weeks to get my stick play on par with my pad play in training mode, after about a month I was so natural on it I didn't even notice.

Shamelss plug for the stuff I'm selling: http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/chatterbox-selling-trading-stuff-dual-modded-stick-360-and-games.53896/
Cool man, I'll take a look. Won't be able to make it to GU this saturday, but definitely next time or
could even play casuals somewhere else. I'll pm you if I needed further info

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face

Keyboards are pretty awesome. The only reason I didn't go full keyboard once I got MK9 on PC is so that I would have the same execution skills when I play on consoles with my friends.

I played on keyboard for a month or two before I got a pad and I got pretty good at it. I already had experience from playing MK4 on PC a long time ago so it didn't feel weird.

Also MK9's negative edge inputs were so freaking delicious on keyboard lol.