What's new

Best qualities of a good Reptile player?

Migaluch

Double Dasher
I think I have reached the point in my progress as a player that I know a lot about what Reptile can do in certain situations, when to elbow dash, reliable BnB combos, canceling into acid hand and slide in combos and d4, et cetera, and I can't seem to find much to work on to improve my game. I know that I can get better somehow, or else I would be winning all the time online and I wouldn't be looking for help. Anyways, what do you guys think are the best skills that a good reptile player has in a match? I'm not sure how much I can elaborate, but I guess an example would be knowing how to get into opponents and safely comboing (which I think I need help on). Anything I could possibly use to work on to be more effective in a match is appreciated!

sLeeK

Noob
I think I have reached the point in my progress as a player that I know a lot about what Reptile can do in certain situations, when to elbow dash, reliable BnB combos, canceling into acid hand and slide in combos and d4, et cetera, and I can't seem to find much to work on to improve my game. I know that I can get better somehow, or else I would be winning all the time online and I wouldn't be looking for help. Anyways, what do you guys think are the best skills that a good reptile player has in a match? I'm not sure how much I can elaborate, but I guess an example would be knowing how to get into opponents and safely comboing (which I think I need help on). Anything I could possibly use to work on to be more effective in a match is appreciated!
Now that's crazy I was going to post a thread like this exactly like yours lol. I have been wondering the same thing.

I know for me I need to work on reading my opponent. Now I'm not talking about when the opponent is going to teleport or not. That plays a part in a game, but I'm talking about when is he going to apply pressure/cross me up and countering that. One of the biggest things that I am lacking right now is using the elbow dash to escape getting crossed up.. lol stupid right? I always mess up the input/timing. Also I have a really bad habit with only hit confirming the 321 string and not using 122 string as much, I am always trying to get flashy with reptile and honestly I need to stop that.

As for "would be knowing how to get into opponents and safely comboing" the first thing that comes to mind is putting a SFB or ex SFB on the screen and dashing in d+4 acid hand etc and always ending your combo's with a SFB/ex SFB. I also like using invis on the darker maps. You could then end your combo's with F+3 1+2(they have to block) for a nasty reset.

I know I'm not the best reptile user in the world, but I've gotten a hell of a lot better, thanks to THTB/teef. Shit I play detroitballin quite often and at least take a couple matches. So I have to be doing something right. You should also try to do that. Look for high caliber players and ask them to critique you. Hope this helped you out some what.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Reptile is a counter attacker. Not many characters in the game are as much of a threat in standing netural as Reptile. In other words, stay roughly half screen from your opponent and do not commit to anything, react and then punish. Reptile in standing netural at half screen is a bad thing for most people. He has a lot of tools to punish your missed attack. Reptile is one of the best punishers in the game use his counter attack techniques to exploit this.

retic

Noob
frequent reptile player over here.

What often cost me my matches is my impatience; because of this, I tend to dash straight into spears, clones, rockets, nets, hat spins, you name it.

I USUALLY win MORE often if I relax a bit, and play the zoning game and then punish accordingly. I lose (horribly) more often if I get a bit too "dash happy".

Reptile NEEDS to use the dash in order to win...but don't dash stupidly. :)

Until then, try not to repeat my mistake in being impatient and ending up dashing straight into an ice clone. hahahaha :D

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!

What often cost me my matches is my impatience; because of this, I tend to dash straight into spears, clones, rockets, nets, hat spins, you name it.

I USUALLY win MORE often if I relax a bit, and play the zoning game and then punish accordingly. I lose (horribly) more often if I get a bit too "dash happy".

Until then, try not to repeat my mistake in being impatient and ending up dashing straight into an ice clone. hahahaha :D
This is a more specific playstyle of what I was saying. Counter attacking. In other word what he is saying is that when he is aggressive he losses more than when he is patience. Patience and counter attack.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Good Reptile players good at balancing out both their zoning and rushdown game, baiting out attacks and punishing them accordingly, a lot of the time with full combos.

Theme

Noob

This is me. I always for some god damned reason, I always wake up with either a slide or a dash. Its by instincts, something I need to get rid of. If I was taken down, I usually wakeup attack most of the time, and it'll be blocked or anticipated, and I'll be eating 30%. I still do it on reaction and its killing me. God damnit.