What's new

Best PS3 settings to reduce lag on HDTV?

ELC

Scrublord McGee
What are they? I've been toying with the settings on my system, but there is still a noticeable lag when hooked up to my HDTV in Game (User) mode. Even reset my pad and hooked it up to the console for good measure.

What are the key settings I should change, and what should they be?

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
What do you mean by lags? Are these when X-Ray animations slow down? (Specially with Sub-zero's)

What's he talking about is is response time between when you put in a command, and when the action is displayed. HDTVs can be really bad for this, since they're made with watching non-interactive media in mind

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
What's he talking about is is response time between when you put in a command, and when the action is displayed. HDTVs can be really bad for this, since they're made with watching non-interactive media in mind
Thanks. Is this common in HDTVs? Ive been using an HDTV ever since I got a PS3 and have never experienced lags like that.

Noob
First, let us know your brand/model of TV.

Almost all PS3 games are native in 720p, so if you have your TV set to 1080p, the TV is trying to upscale which takes time(creating more lag).

-Set PS3 display settings to 720p
-Set TV resolution to 720p(most HDTV's have a native resolution of 720p)

This should reduce any input delay down to the lowest possible response time that your TV gives. The most common these days is 5ms, with 2ms being pretty much the standard for fighting games on HDTV's.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Actually figured out was wrong: should have used an HDMI cable instead of SCART

aj1701

Noob
Actually figured out was wrong: should have used an HDMI cable instead of SCART
So using an HDMI resolved the lag? What TV do you have? I have a KDL-46Z5100, set to game mode, also connected with HDMI.

Almost all PS3 games are native in 720p, so if you have your TV set to 1080p, the TV is trying to upscale which takes time(creating more lag).
Right, but the box says 1080p, so if you have a 1080p monitor, is there any gain from turning it down to 720p?

DFogz

Noob
So using an HDMI resolved the lag? What TV do you have? I have a KDL-46Z5100, set to game mode, also connected with HDMI.
Does setting your TV to game mode help with lag any? I thought it was just a visual thing (backlight, color, contrast, etc.)

Noob

Right, but the box says 1080p, so if you have a 1080p monitor, is there any gain from turning it down to 720p?
Yes, you gain less delay.

aj1701

Noob
Does setting your TV to game mode help with lag any? I thought it was just a visual thing (backlight, color, contrast, etc.)
I dont think I've seen a difference. There's an Auto setting for the mode, so maybe it was figuring out to turn on game automatically anyway. Unfortunately I've only ever played on this TV, so I might be having lag and not realizing it as I have nothing to comare to.

TVs that have a game mode though usually use it to disable extra processing that you'd want for movies / TV, but not for games (as the processing incurs lag).

Yes, you gain less delay.
I'll give it a shot and see, I guess I assumed the PS3 had enough horsepower to render 1080p just fine. Does it matter if its a 240Hz TV?