What's new

Best midnight release ever, and my first tournament!

NightTrauma

Kung Fu Treachery
Granted, I've only been to three. Fable II, Skyrim, and now Injustice.

For the prior two, we had to wait outside until just before midnight, then we walk in, buy the game, go home. Most people were with their friends and not very talkative with everyone else.

Injustice was a totally different experience. They had the full game set up on Ps3 inside for us to play while we waited. There were about 20+ people there and everyone was super friendly and hyped. Talking with everyone about comics and fighting game tech.

Then shit got real and one of the Gamestop employees asked if we wanted to do a tournament. I was hoping for this, so my hand shot up immediately. 10-12 of us joined in, including the two Gamestop guys.

This was the first tournament I had ever participated in outside of my friends and I doing ones among ourselves. There isn't really a scene anywhere near me.

Anyway, I was unsure if I wanted to play Batman or not since I felt cheap because I've been playing him in the demo for two weeks. But, then I saw my friend was going with Wonder Woman and another guy was going Lex. So, I figured what the hell. Play to win.

I pretty much bodied everybody I went up against until the grand finals between myself and an Aquaman player. (Shout out to Zach(sp?) you were awesome, dude!) Who, despite only playing him for two hours was pretty awesome with him.

It wasn't no Evo, Chris G, PL, 16Bit, Slips, other name drops, high level match, but it was hype as hell! People were yelling, getting excited when he hit combos, all that good stuff. By the end I had about 10% health and walked away with my first ever (albeit, small) tournament victory.

My reward was a hilarious golf clap from everyone in the store, and I got to be first in line automatically to get my copy.

If you took the time to read this, thank you! TYM is an awesome community, and I really wanted to share my experience with you fine folks. I would have taken pictures if I would have thought about it!

Also, if any of you are TYM members, shout outs to everybody at the midnight release in Corinth, MS! I was your humble champion and the guy wearing Aquaman shoes and a Scorpion t-shirt.

Do you guys have any awesome stories from your Injustice midnight release?

Awesome victory, man.

I also went to a midnight nearby and was surprisingly able to take home the victory with my Lex. Had to go up against a pretty nasty Flash for the final. First tournament here, as well - I have essentially no Mortal Kombat experience AND we were playing on PS3, when my main system is a 360. I actually don't remember the last time I played a game on PS3. The energy was awesome, and while I know the majority of the tournaments I go to won't be anything like this (as in not every single person being positive, there being some booing, etc.) and I may not do nearly as well, it would still be fun just to be there. I'd say there were about 30 people there with roughly half of that being in the tournament.

I won a free season pass (giving it to my friend since I actually bought the season pass before the tournament. Didn't think I'd win.) They gave me a poster as well, and the most awesome thing I got:

Justice League #1 signed by JIM LEE and GEOFF JOHNS.
The funny thing about that was before entering the tournament, I thought the prize was just a season pass and a gift card. Man am I glad I was wrong.

Long post is long. But yeah, they told me that winning that netted me a spot in another tournament, District Finals Tournament. Didn't get any information except that it'll be in two weeks (Not an exact date, time, place, etc.) I'm hyped.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My GameStop didn't have a tournament, but if they did, I would have won it for free. I got there at around 10:55pm. They had 2 set-ups of the game. It was "play until you lose" type of thing. I played until they shut down the machines, lol! One guy came close with Aquaman, and this other guy who I've played before at GameStop tournaments was decent with Batman. By Midnight, no one wanted to play me.

I told some of them about this site, maybe we'll see them!

NightTrauma

Kung Fu Treachery
Awesome victory, man.

I also went to a midnight nearby and was surprisingly able to take home the victory with my Lex. Had to go up against a pretty nasty Flash for the final. First tournament here, as well - I have essentially no Mortal Kombat experience AND we were playing on PS3, when my main system is a 360. I actually don't remember the last time I played a game on PS3. The energy was awesome, and while I know the majority of the tournaments I go to won't be anything like this (as in not every single person being positive, there being some booing, etc.) and I may not do nearly as well, it would still be fun just to be there. I'd say there were about 30 people there with roughly half of that being in the tournament.

I won a free season pass (giving it to my friend since I actually bought the season pass before the tournament. Didn't think I'd win.) They gave me a poster as well, and the most awesome thing I got:

Justice League #1 signed by JIM LEE and GEOFF JOHNS.
The funny thing about that was before entering the tournament, I thought the prize was just a season pass and a gift card. Man am I glad I was wrong.

Long post is long. But yeah, they told me that winning that netted me a spot in another tournament, District Finals Tournament. Didn't get any information except that it'll be in two weeks (Not an exact date, time, place, etc.) I'm hyped.
Thanks, and congratulations to you as well! I am super jealous of your signed Justice league #1

My GameStop didn't have a tournament, but if they did, I would have won it for free. I got there at around 10:55pm. They had 2 set-ups of the game. It was "play until you lose" type of thing. I played until they shut down the machines, lol! One guy came close with Aquaman, and this other guy who I've played before at GameStop tournaments was decent with Batman. By Midnight, no one wanted to play me.

I told some of them about this site, maybe we'll see them!
That is awesome! Hopefully they'll come on here and learn a thing or two. :)

After a fight we would just ask if anyone else wanted to play to give everyone a good shot. If it was play til you lose, I wouldn't have left the setup either. I tried to help out and teach people the game as much as I could when I was fighting though. It was a really cool experience.

Briyen

Noob
gj! you are the champion of Corinth ! :)

my gamestop i preordered at didnt have a midnight release so i went to another one and won the game and the season pass, havent slept since, so funn

JLG

Noob
Congrats, man. It sounds like your midnight experience was a lot of fun. I had kind of a similar night when MK9 first came out, but I had to wait, unfortunately, for Injustice to come out at 10 a.m. I do wish there had been a tournament, but I'm pretty sure my community will hold some in the near future. Congrats, again! Oh, and who are you playing now?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
for injustice we had a tournament sponsored by WB in greece, got 2nd out of 93 people and the game was mine almost a week ago