What's new

Best and Worst Matchups: Johnny Cage

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm attempting to gather good information for my "How to Defeat Any Character" thread. You're going to see this exact post in each of the character threads. If you would like to share your information, ideas, and comments please stick to the format outlined below. This will help speed up the process of rooting out the pertinent information and putting it to good use. Thanks for your support!

*The information in the example post was written off the top of my head and not meant at all to convey actual match information. It serves only as a guide to influence future posts.

Post Format (based on Kano):

Best Matchup: Kano's best matchup is probably against Quan Chi. Quan Chi's 1 wakeup attack, the Sky Drop, just isn't able to break up Kano's awesome offensive game. Kano can keep him at range with zoning tactics that have enough recovery to block and punish the Sky Drop. Quan Chi should be unable to control almost any aspect of a match with Kano.

Worst Matchup: Kano's worst matchup is definitely against Sub-Zero. Ice Clone completely nullifies Kano's Air Ball, and with no teleport Kano can have a very difficult time getting in to inflict decent damage. His only real option is to hang back and zone with Knives hoping to bait and punish Sub-Zero's slide. However, since his Knives can be crouched completely, if Sub-Zero has the damage advantage he can just run down the clock to force Kano to come to him.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Best Matchup: Sheeva. She is wayyy to slow for cage. Most of her moves can be easily dodged and punished by cage.

Worst Matchup: Kabal. Kabals zoning techniques and the ability to dash cancel can really throw Cage off. ANY miscalculation playing as Cage will be punished severely.

leek

Noob
Best Matchup: Sheeva. She is wayyy to slow for cage. Most of her moves can be easily dodged and punished by cage.

Worst Matchup: Kabal. Kabals zoning techniques and the ability to dash cancel can really throw Cage off. ANY miscalculation playing as Cage will be punished severely.
I actually find Sheeva a strange matchup. I begin jumping too much, worrying about the ground pounds and end up getting fireballed or tele-smashed.

As for Kabal, I can't say much besides I've never won a match against a skilled Kabal.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I find the hardest matchups to be CSZ and Kitana....can someone help me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

CHouse

Noob
Reptile's hitbox can cause problems, really messes up the ex-fireball strings. Jumping in on him can be annoying as well.

leek

Noob
I find the hardest matchups to be CSZ and Kitana....can someone help me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Those are naturally bad matchups. Kitana you just have to get in before she does and check her flying thing with a flip kick/high arcing forceball. If you begin to take fans, dash block to crouch as the fans go over your head if you just crouch without blocking.

As for CSZ... I have no clue :rant3: his dive-kick takes me out close to fullscreen and parry messes up the flow of pressuring him, since you have to sweep it. His bombs aren't much to worry about because if you can bait two bombs, on start up of the second you can Shadow kick/EX shadow kick depending on distance. He seems to cross over a lot from all the matches I've played and you could just uppercut that I guess.. but for me that matchup is the worst along with ermac imo.

leek

Noob
Reptile's hitbox can cause problems, really messes up the ex-fireball strings. Jumping in on him can be annoying as well.
I've never used his ex-forceballs.. what's the string for those? if you don't mind.

Do Kitana/Jade/Mileena/Quan Chi give you issues in that aspect as well?

CHouse

Noob
I've never used his ex-forceballs.. what's the string for those? if you don't mind.

Do Kitana/Jade/Mileena/Quan Chi give you issues in that aspect as well?
Cages fireball string, which is f3 3 ex-fb, is unreliable since the second hit of the ex-fireball whiffs on reptile on stand block, Reptile is the only character I know of that this happens to. I tend to use this string a lot on other characters when I have them in the corner but with reptile it feels like he has an easier time than most getting out of my corner pressure.

Kitana and Mileena both give me problems, the other two I can't really comment on as I haven't fought anyone exceptional. The hitbox issue definitely comes in to play against Mileena, but there are other issues I need to iron out against her as well, namely a reliable punish on blocked teleport kicks. I was thinking b3 could work but I haven't been able to test it yet. With Kitana it's the usual fan pressure that gives me problems, not so much her hitbox.

Edited for clarity.

leek

Noob
Cages fireball string, which is f3 3 ex-fb, is unreliable since reptile can just duck out of the ex-fireball at the end. I tend to use this string a lot on other characters when I have them in the corner but with reptile it feels like he has an easier time than most getting out of my corner pressure.

Kitana and Mileena both give me problems, the other two I can't really comment on as I haven't fought anyone exceptional. The hitbox issue definitely comes in to play against Mileena, but there are other issues I need to iron out against her as well, namely a reliable punish on blocked teleport kicks. I was thinking b3 could work but I haven't been able to test it yet. With Kitana it's the usual fan pressure that gives me problems, not so much her hitbox.
Well yeah I meant for the forceball string more or less, because kitana jade etc etc have smaller than usual hitbox's. Quan Chi's is normal width but shorter.

As for Mileena, do you know if nut-punch hit's high enough to punish tele-kick? I'venever really faced Mileena to be honest.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Best Matchup: Anyone not named Sub Zero, Noob, Cyrax Ermac, Kitana. Once Cage gets in on someone... he shouldn't lose. His frame traps can melt away health and build meter fast.

Worst Matchup: The names above. They all have tools to keep Johnny out... or get him off of him.

I think Kabal is a 5-5. He has tools to zone... but the armor given to cage can get him in... and Kabal really can't get him off. Really Ermac is probably in this case too... as he has trouble with jump crosses... but his ex stuff has armor... and push away.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Well yeah I meant for the forceball string more or less, because kitana jade etc etc have smaller than usual hitbox's. Quan Chi's is normal width but shorter.

As for Mileena, do you know if nut-punch hit's high enough to punish tele-kick? I'venever really faced Mileena to be honest.

2,1,F+2 dash 4,4~Nut Punch.
If that is too much... just 1,1~nut punch. that will reset her and give you a free cross up.

CHouse

Noob

There's probably a simple answer for the right punish on a blocked teleport kick, I've already seen one mentioned since my post, although I could've sworn 2 1 f2 doesn't work. It was online though so who knows.

The main problem I have with Mileena is the ex teleport kicks. It feels like she has advantage when I block the air sais after the tele kick and all I can do is block. When her string is done she usually goes into another ex tele kick and I'm stuck in it again. It could just be a case of me not knowing where the break is and when I'm supposed to down poke out of it. It was online as well so that could be another factor. Nonetheless it feels hard to stop her once she gets going.

leek

Noob
2,1,F+2 dash 4,4~Nut Punch.
If that is too much... just 1,1~nut punch. that will reset her and give you a free cross up.
For whatever reason it's ridiculously hard for me to punish a blocked teleport by Mileena. must just be me then, but nah I'm alright with doing combos. although i have trouble timing the 2,1,F+2 dash 44... i always come up short to hit 44.

NariTuba

disMember
Best Matchup: Anyone not named Sub Zero, Noob, Cyrax Ermac, Kitana. Once Cage gets in on someone... he shouldn't lose. His frame traps can melt away health and build meter fast.
I dont think Cyrax is a bad match for Cage. Once he gets in there is no way for Cyrax to escape reliably. Wake up air throw will ocasionally work, tho an experienced Cage player will lock him down again. Ex teleport will work but its hard to combo after for Cyrax and if blocked its back to lockdown pretty fast. Ex ragdoll is the only guarranteed escape but it does small damage and uses meter. Cage can counter with a well timed Ex flash kick to get back in there and its back to square one with equal meter expenditure for both players.

I agree on Sub, Noob and Kitana. Havent really played good ermacs but i understand how he could be a problem (as well as Kenshi maybe?)

A well played Sektor can also be troublesome for Cage. His b1 is a fast repellent with great range. When interchanged with flame thrower to prevent anti air he is able to maintain safe rocket distance. Also Sektor can suddenly dash in on Cage with his low starter into high damage combo to catch him trying to dash in. Sektor also has one of the fastest uppercuts in the game, as well as a very fast 1,1 and d1. He can actually poke out into cross-up jump into safe punch string if Cage doesnt maintain consistent smart pressure. Sektor can also teleport uppercut on reaction to Cages fireballs so dont attempt any exchanges from 3/4 to full screen.

Strategy for Cage would be to get in and keep your pressure non repetitive. Use crossover jps set ups more often to maintain mid screen pressure. f3,3 Exfireball works well on Sektor. Id advice to use d1 to poke between strings as he will beat your d3 with his d1. Sektor´s Ex teleport is safe so do be careful. Punish any whiffed regular teleport uppercuts with b3 starter into combo.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
at a close distance with cyrax if someone throws a net/bomb its punishable with a shadow kick. One mess up though its gonna hurt like a mofo.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Kabal, Kitana, Sub-Zero, Sonya and Shang Tsung are all very tough match ups. Sub-Zero is definitely as bad as it gets for Johnny.

Belial

Noob
Almost all characters with armor have chance against JC, also advancing specials help.
Stryker is good against Johnny - great spacing and advancing special w armor is good in this matchup.
Shang Tsung on the contrary is very bad against JC. He can only escape half of his traps w his Soul Steal b/c of slow armor startup AND you have to be very precise w input (also b/c of slow armor startup on SS). Terrible Wake up atacks also fail him. Normally JC wouldnt want you down, where some other characters can try to jump, get hit and then mixup otg, Shang is deprived of this, you fall down, you have a heavily limited options. Yes, Shang can zone, but cant shake Jhonny pressure off, his only option is breaker, which you need to save mana for and shang being heavily bar-reliant character, he needs mana elsewhere - juggles, ex-steal - all deplete it fast.
Sub Zero is definitely a bad matchup for JC, although he has trouble escaping pressure - recovery roll -> clone or slide are usually enough to shake away pressure.
Kitana is also difficult for obvious reasons.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Almost all characters with armor have chance against JC, also advancing specials help.
Stryker is good against Johnny - great spacing and advancing special w armor is good in this matchup.
Shang Tsung on the contrary is very bad against JC. He can only escape half of his traps w his Soul Steal b/c of slow armor startup AND you have to be very precise w input (also b/c of slow armor startup on SS). Terrible Wake up atacks also fail him. Normally JC wouldnt want you down, where some other characters can try to jump, get hit and then mixup otg, Shang is deprived of this, you fall down, you have a heavily limited options. Yes, Shang can zone, but cant shake Jhonny pressure off, his only option is breaker, which you need to save mana for and shang being heavily bar-reliant character, he needs mana elsewhere - juggles, ex-steal - all deplete it fast.
Sub Zero is definitely a bad matchup for JC, although he has trouble escaping pressure - recovery roll -> clone or slide are usually enough to shake away pressure.
Kitana is also difficult for obvious reasons.
If you put REO's Cage up against Detroits Shang I am willing to bet REO would lose almost every time. Just because the match up looks good on paper doesn't mean it is.

Loot

the special effects
If you put REO's Cage up against Detroits Shang I am willing to bet REO would lose almost every time. Just because the match up looks good on paper doesn't mean it is.
Sounds like a money match

ITS MAHVEELLLL BABYYYYY

Belial

Noob
If you put REO's Cage up against Detroits Shang
Jesus Christ, its not one of those "Superman vs Batman" stuff is it? And you're trying to call me a threory fighter? Get a grip of yourself already.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Jesus Christ, its not one of those "Superman vs Batman" stuff is it? And you're trying to call me a threory fighter? Get a grip of yourself already.
No, I'm trying to say that there are not very may people pushing these characters to their full potential. Match ups shouldn't be based on an the average player vs average player.