What's new

Strategy Best Alt. for Kung Lao?

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
I've been looking into this for quite some time now. I'll go ahead and make a list of my comfort level with the cast.

Chars i'm most knowledgeable about: Cage, Mileena, Jax

Chars I have some field experience with: Kitana, Reptile, Sektor, Sub Zero, Kabal, Raiden

Chars with Bnb's i've tried out: Cyrax, Freddy, Sonya, Smoke, Kenshi

My main concerns as a Lao player are obviously characters like Sonya and Cage. Atm i'm confident enough to go solo with Lao for a while, but by the time Evo hits i'm sure the metagame will evolve to a point where that might not be as viable. I'm sure I have time to get any character to a high level before Evo, but I made the list to let you guys get a feel of what i'm lookin' at right now.

Who do you guys feel is the best alt for Lao? Any input would be appreciated, an explanation of why you think I should alt "x" character is ideal, but not necessary. Also, at the moment i'm looking at Freddy. Thanks!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
My best choices for an alt would be Kit, Cage, Freddy, Sonya, Kenshi, Reptile.
Its in my opinion that these characters handle KLs tougher MUs in an easier way, either through zoning or better pressure than KL has.

Obs_SmSwag

My best choices for an alt would be Kit, Cage, Freddy, Sonya, Kenshi, Reptile.
Its in my opinion that these characters handle KLs tougher MUs in an easier way, either through zoning or better pressure than KL has.
Which one specifically would you suggest? I do like the way Reptile and Kit play, but they both have problems with Cage and Sonya as well.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Yeah man, freddy's lookin' like a pretty good right now. I put 2 days into him so far, I already knew his bnb's from a while back.
That's pretty much 3 matchups (Cage, Kitana, and Sonya) that turn into your advantage and Cyrax is somewhat better, just have to dedicate your time to a zoning game.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I don't like using obnoxious video game language, but Cage and Kitana are EZZZZZZZZZZZZZ if you use Kenshi. Sonya requires more caution but its still EZ, without the extra Z's.

My only worry would be you being forced to adapt to Kenshi's turtly, mobility-less, big-hitbox, 400 pound body after playing with someone fluid like Kung Lao. I use Cage and Jax and try to use Kenshi for my bad MU's, but his big hitbox and 400 pound body make that transition difficult. If you're up to it though, then you pretty much have all MU's covered except one extremely broken yellow robot.

Obs_SmSwag

That's pretty much 3 matchups (Cage, Kitana, and Sonya) that turn into your advantage and Cyrax is somewhat better, just have to dedicate your time to a zoning game.
I feel you man, I'm not really worried about Rax at all. I'll go Jax if he's too much to handle, also I have no problem going Freddy vs Rax lmao. Tons of meter, tons of breakers.

Obs_SmSwag

I've put a descent amount of time into Kabal, but the execution you have to have in order to succeed with him isn't something I want to deal with. You could play out of your mind for 4 sets, and then drop inputs during 1-2 games and be out of the tourney.

I could never use Kenshi... I'd feel like a bastard, especially with a Lao on the side. Also, Kenshi counter-picking is a little trite i.m.o. Nobody takes pocket Kenshis seriously.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I've put a descent amount of time into Kabal, but the execution you have to have in order to succeed with him isn't something I want to deal with. You could play out of your mind for 4 sets, and then drop inputs during 1-2 games and be out of the tourney.

I could never use Kenshi... I'd feel like a bastard, especially with a Lao on the side. Also, Kenshi counter-picking is a little trite i.m.o. Nobody takes pocket Kenshis seriously.
Obviously Freddy is logically the better choice but Liu Kang makes Sonyas, Cyraxs, Kitanas and Cages go 5-5, but I feel they're extremely winnable 5-5s which Kang can easily control. (Krayzie said Kang Rax is 6-4 Kang I believe)
Ever thought about him on that basis?

Obs_SmSwag

Obviously Freddy is logically the better choice but Liu Kang makes Sonyas, Cyraxs, Kitanas and Cages go 5-5, but I feel they're extremely winnable 5-5s which Kang can easily control. (Krayzie said Kang Rax is 6-4 Kang I believe)
Ever thought about him on that basis?
Oh absolutely, I forgot to mention I know a descent amount about Kang. And you're right, a Kang Kung team would be godlike. The only thing is, Denzell used to main him and M.I.T mains him now I think. Idk man, Liu just doesn't feel right. That could easily change with a bit of Lab work though.

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
i honestly dont think you should need an alt if you main lao because his worst mus are 4-6s but if you really wanna alt kenshi would be you best bet because kung laos hardest match ups(still not hard at all really) are cage, sonya, and kitana kenshi beats all three and 2 of them(cage and kitana) he has 7-3 at minimum against them. so i personally think you shouldnt worry about an alt and i think it will benefit you alot more if you just keep working on lao and make him your number one priority

Obs_SmSwag

Kenshi is a great alt, i've looked into him. He doesn't solve the rax problem though, and he's been downloaded by majority of the top players. I'd have a long road ahead of me.

I'm not too worried about an alt at the moment, but I going to be at Evo this year and by that time i'm sure 4-6's will feel worse than they do now.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Yea, Kenshi seems to cover his "bad" MUs.

Liu Kang does alright, though it's vice-versa. Lao covers his bad MUs lol.

I'd say Freddy.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Unless you're Perfect Legend, good luck with that #kappa
well i main reptile, Lao, And Kitana, AND i have a Kabal in the works and its shaping up to be pretty damn good so far :p

also, yeah i think freddy definitely covers Lao's few bad mu's. He beats Cyrax, Kitana, Cage, Sonya (altho i personally believe sonya is a 5-5 for lao) and freddy does quite well vs kabal too.

Obs_SmSwag

Yeah Freddy is a descent match for Kabal i.m.o (I base this solely off of watching Cat vs Scar, never really tried the MU). I'm not even worried about Kabal, or anybody really besides Sonya. Doesn't Sonya lose to Freddy worse than she loses to Kenshi? Or are they both like 4-6/7-3?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Kenshi is the best possible alt for a Kung Lao main, trust me I have been thinking about alt Kenshi for a long time now. Oh Cage gives you problems with Kung Lao? Kenshi fucks Cage up. Oh Sonya gives you problems when your using Kung Lao? Kenshi fucks Sonya up. I heard Kitana gives Kung Lao a hard time too... oh yeah Kenshi fucks her up really bad too