What's new

Batman Trait Management

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
In order to get some discussion going on in these forums again, and to help newer players get a grasp on Batman's trait, AND to assist more seasoned players on finer points of Mechanical Bats Management, I've decided to make this thread to talk about it. I should mention that I am, by no means, a great Batman player. I have however, been playing the character since the game released and would very much like to share all that I've learned.

So here are a few general uses for Mechanical Bats:

Safe Jumps/Cross-ups: The idea here is that you release trait, sometime dashing forward, and what happens is that the opponent is forced to block the bats. Because they are blocking the bats, a cross-up j2 is nearly unblockable. It is not a true unblockable set-up though, just in case you were wondering.

Whiff-Punishing: With proper spacing, Batman can release his trait to capitalize on a whiffed move. Again, spacing is crucial here as the timing for different punishes varies, but on hit Batman can get a full combo just from releasing trait after a whiffed move. Solid stuff.

Pressure: One of the most common uses for Batman's trait. During block strings, in the middle of his many block-string gaps, you can release Bats to continue pressure. Take 113 for example. The gap in 113 is 11(HERE)3. So you could do 11, release trait, and continue with another string. Or you could release the trait and try for a cross-up. A lot of this is timing/spacing dependent, but it is very viable. You can also cancel bats during most of his strings and be at enough advantage to follow up with various strings that are uninterruptable. Things like 1,2 xx trait cancel grant huge advantage, and the varying options after have been discussed at length in other threads. The best Batman trait cancel strings are: 1,2, 22, b11. Trait cancelling after these strings is a guaranteed follow-up.

Zoning: Mechanical Bats do basically nothing on block and very little on hit. The only time Zoning with Mechanical Bats is a good idea is if you have a tremendous life-lead, if you're punishing a whiffing jump-in, or if you're just trying to close out the round. The only other time would be for characters like Hawkgirl, where using trait can get her out of the air and into a position you're more comfortable with. Not the recommended use for Bats. I should recant by saying that this does have its use and purpose, especially in certain match-ups, but ONLY in my opinion, zoning with bats is a match-up specific thing. To addendum: Zoning with Bats can be useful if you're trying to position them in a specific way, or keep them blocking for a dash-in, or other spacing-related things.

Anti-Air: While my feelings on Batman's d2 have changed recently, Release Bats is by far his absolute best anti-air option. It can grant a full combo, the tracking definitely helps, and the threat of doing this is enough to stop an opponent from jumping at all. The timing can be very tricky though, so it requires practice.

Ending combos: Batman can release trait at the end of his combos and follow-up with a MB Grapple for a standing reset of sorts. There are all sorts of options and tech involving what to do after a MB Grapple, so I won't delve too deeply into that here. Not a bad way to use Bats, but not the best.

Extending combos: When doing certain strings (F23, as an example) that normally do not combo, releasing trait can allow you to create a combo opportunity where there was none previously. A satisfactory usage of trait.

Defense: There are times when you will be heavily pressured. Bane, Wonder Woman, The Flash, all these characters have very strong pressure games. It is because of this that Batman can hold onto his trait and use them at the right moment to interrupt pressure and turn the mometum around. The most difficult part of this is knowing when to release trait at what situations, and the timing thereof. Now, it is my understanding that you cannot release trait during block stun. If I am incorrect, I will hold all of the dats. You can also release your trait in the middle of string gaps and allow yourself a full-combo punish that other characters cannot.

Well, thank you all for reading. This isn't everything and I will admit that my own understanding of trait and its uses are limited, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling in a discussion about THE MOST important part of playing Batman.

Last edited:

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
You should also include mixup abilities as well. B2 call bats B1 is a great mixup to catch people with when they're trying to block the overhead. Also for pressure, cancelling some strings like 12 into bats can provide great frame advantage to continue pressure.

Ive been playing batman for quite some time and im finally starting to get it. I just wanted to throw in a few things that are the most useful to me right now. If you have a bat out in footsie range, you can release the bat and throw out a back 3 or forward 3 if you time it correctly. if the b3 hits, great. If they block it however, you are at +8 or +10. this gives you a free mixup to condition your opponent. b23 is uninterruptable except by armor, so once they respect the option, you can start crossing up or going for other mixups and options. mixing b3, f3, j2, b3 charge cancel into dash and so forth covered by bats becomes a great mixup situation. 112 canceled into bats seems to give great block advantage as well, b11 bat cancel is super useful, b2 bat cancel, f2 bat cancel aint bad for a bit more range which batman can struggle with a bit. I should also point out the problems im having, which are characters that can easily slip under bats like wonder woman with her d3, catwoman's b3, GLs b1 string and so forth. Also aquaman players will usually try to d2 between bat pressure or armor or d1. If the opponent does this a lot you can use armor of your own or just switch to j2 to prevent getting poked out of naked b3 and stuff. hope this helps.

RM Truth

Ive been playing batman for quite some time and im finally starting to get it. I just wanted to throw in a few things that are the most useful to me right now. If you have a bat out in footsie range, you can release the bat and throw out a back 3 or forward 3 if you time it correctly. if the b3 hits, great. If they block it however, you are at +8 or +10. this gives you a free mixup to condition your opponent. b23 is uninterruptable except by armor, so once they respect the option, you can start crossing up or going for other mixups and options. mixing b3, f3, j2, b3 charge cancel into dash and so forth covered by bats becomes a great mixup situation. 112 canceled into bats seems to give great block advantage as well, b11 bat cancel is super useful, b2 bat cancel, f2 bat cancel aint bad for a bit more range which batman can struggle with a bit. I should also point out the problems im having, which are characters that can easily slip under bats like wonder woman with her d3, catwoman's b3, GLs b1 string and so forth. Also aquaman players will usually try to d2 between bat pressure or armor or d1. If the opponent does this a lot you can use armor of your own or just switch to j2 to prevent getting poked out of naked b3 and stuff. hope this helps.
The only issue is that midscreen B3 pushes them too far away to get anything going. B23 is pretty much guaranteed, but jump ins are pretty easy to react to and against Aquaman or Sinestro that's just giving him free damage. You might get away with a F3 after B3 sometimes, but it's also pretty easy to react to and blow up with a D2 if its good enough. I used to do the same thing until people caught and would blow up all my options lowering my pressure ability. When you're releasing bats for pressure, honestly your best bet is jump in 2 and continue pressure from there.

Rude

This is all very good stuff. I will update the OP tomorrow with what has been provided.

Also, I'd like to start talking about some match-up specific uses for trait as well. One problem I have is with characters with small hitboxes. Specifically, I find that, more often than not, if an opponent crouches during my pressure or d1s a lot, my bats will fly over their heads. I'm sure this is some kind of timing issue, but it's something I'd like help with.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I disagree with the zoning bit:

It is a very powerful way for batman to control the screen. You shoot a homing projectile that doesn't interfere with your movement allowing for crossups, pressure, or to further his already good zoning. (batarangs lbsh) I get that they do shit on chip and shit on hit. They also put someone in hitstun for 2 years so he gets a free combo from anywhere on the screen. IMO its not about the damage the bats cause from hitting the person by themselves, but the damage/pressure you're stuck in from getting comboed or being forced to block them.

BlastX21

Noob
Yeah, Batman definently cannot release bats during blockstun. If he could, that would be broken as hell, lol.

Condescending Wonka:

Oh, your string puts you at +10 on block?

...no bottom caption necessary

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
From what I've seen... if you fuck up, release your bats. If you feel like pressuring, call your bats. If you feel like pressuring after you've called your bats and haven't fucked up, then release your bats. Always have one bat charging. Bats.

Rude

I disagree with the zoning bit:

It is a very powerful way for batman to control the screen. You shoot a homing projectile that doesn't interfere with your movement allowing for crossups, pressure, or to further his already good zoning. (batarangs lbsh) I get that they do shit on chip and shit on hit. They also put someone in hitstun for 2 years so he gets a free combo from anywhere on the screen. IMO its not about the damage the bats cause from hitting the person by themselves, but the damage/pressure you're stuck in from getting comboed or being forced to block them.
I can definitely see your point, but I think that zoning with Bats is a very match-up specific thing. Against a character like Hawkgirl, I have no problem using the mechanical Bats tracking to nullify some of her shennanigans. However, there are characters that WILL get in on you, and you need those bats to interrupt their pressure and generally defend yourself.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I was wondering. Do we have concrete #s on the frame advantage of strings cancelled into call-bats? As I am not able to locate it if we do. And if not, does it seem realistic to be able to attain the information through the old school methods? I think it would be pretty useful to know the exact frame advantage on any normal or string canceled into bats.

The only issue is that midscreen B3 pushes them too far away to get anything going. B23 is pretty much guaranteed, but jump ins are pretty easy to react to and against Aquaman or Sinestro that's just giving him free damage. You might get away with a F3 after B3 sometimes, but it's also pretty easy to react to and blow up with a D2 if its good enough. I used to do the same thing until people caught and would blow up all my options lowering my pressure ability. When you're releasing bats for pressure, honestly your best bet is jump in 2 and continue pressure from there.
Yeah the pressure situation has serious holes no matter what, but ive pretty much figured that if you mix it up enough with some meter and bat cancels you can keep them honest while actually mixing it up. In a situation where b3 is blocked the best options are pretty much b23, b2 bat cancel into b112 or b23(or f2 cancel which has no real advantage but still scary to trifle with),or b2 bat cancel into crossup which can be easy to anti air, but the point is to force them to respect all of it. The main event for batman either way is meter burn batarangs. 113 confirmed into grapple on hit or mb batarangs is one of the bestways in. Also i dare a lot of people to mess with 112 bat cancel into f3. Its actually hard to deal with and when blocked puts you at good range with bats out to release and crossup almost totally safely. There are a ton of ways to open people up as long as you condition them to respect guaranteed options. It aint perfect especially after the bat nerf. It helps to keep one bat charged to maximize cancel opportunities. As far as the footsies situation goes, it is what it is. Obviously j2, b23, mb b3/f3, j1, scatterbombs arent bad but bats are the most important footsies tool to revolve around. What i do when im in dire straights is end combos in mb grapple into n j2 giving huge advantage for guaranteed crossup into a confirmable 112 into bat cancel or mb batarangs on block. Just thought id mention those.

Rude

I was wondering. Do we have concrete #s on the frame advantage of strings cancelled into call-bats? As I am not able to locate it if we do. And if not, does it seem realistic to be able to attain the information through the old school methods? I think it would be pretty useful to know the exact frame advantage on any normal or string canceled into bats.
No, we don't, but that doesn't mean I can't figure it out. What method do you suggest?

Rude

Another question: Do any other Batman players here struggle to keep trait when moving in against zoners? Specifically, characters like Killer Frost, Sinestro, and Zod, I have a lot of trouble keeping my trait. How does the Batman community think we should move in with trait active against strong zoning? Simply dashing and blocking doesn't always seem to work. Lately, I've been trying to walk in and block, but I've been having mixed results. Specifically against tracking projectiles like Frost's ground glacier.

RM Truth

Another question: Do any other Batman players here struggle to keep trait when moving in against zoners? Specifically, characters like Killer Frost, Sinestro, and Zod, I have a lot of trouble keeping my trait. How does the Batman community think we should move in with trait active against strong zoning? Simply dashing and blocking doesn't always seem to work. Lately, I've been trying to walk in and block, but I've been having mixed results. Specifically against tracking projectiles like Frost's ground glacier.
I honestly don't activate trait in situations like those unless I'm just outside of footsie range. By that point, they would be too scared to throw out a projectile.

Something to note is that bats have ZERO blockstun, it's the fact that the bats hit the blocking opponent while you're moving around that make it seem plus on block.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I tend not to activate trait with heavy zoners until I'm in. usually for pressure cancelling or whiff punishing

coolwhip

Noob
You should also include mixup abilities as well. B2 call bats B1 is a great mixup to catch people with when they're trying to block the overhead. Also for pressure, cancelling some strings like 12 into bats can provide great frame advantage to continue pressure.
I feel that with time, this won't work as much. It's pretty negative. Once people start get used to blocking Batman more and more, they should interrupt after B2 into call bats before Batman can follow through wit the low. I use it now because it keeps catching people off guard though.

BlastX21

Noob
I feel that with time, this won't work as much. It's pretty negative. Once people start get used to blocking Batman more and more, they should interrupt after B2 into call bats before Batman can follow through wit the low. I use it now because it keeps catching people off guard though.
While it can be punished, the window is so small that its still pretty difficult to interrupt it on reaction. Even when Forever King and Gamerblake had their mirror at Weekly Scraps, king just went for blocking the low instead of interrupting it. Maybe people will stuff it every now and then as time goes on, but overall I don't see it not being viable in the long term.

coolwhip

Noob
While it can be punished, the window is so small that its still pretty difficult to interrupt it on reaction. Even when Forever King and Gamerblake had their mirror at Weekly Scraps, king just went for blocking the low instead of interrupting it. Maybe people will stuff it every now and then as time goes on, but overall I don't see it not being viable in the long term.
I think it's a matter of getting used to it and conditioning yourself to do it. If you can react fast enough to block low, then why not D1? Most D1's are faster than Batman's 9 frame B1 anyway, and given that B2 into trait is negative, the window to D1 is even greater. Keep in mind, I can't do it now to save my life, and I still fall for it. So I'm not saying people should be able to do it now. But I do think as the game progresses and people get better at fighting Batman, we'll be seeing it more often, at least from the top players. That doesn't mean it's not viable mind you. Just that it might not work as much as it does now.