What's new

Basic Dead of Winter Variation Question

Hey all,

I was toying around with Sub-Zero for the first time last night, and I choose his Dead of Winter Variation. Can I confirm that this Variation has two Special Moves only, his Ice Ball (which can be amplified) and his Shoulder Slide; nothing else?

I ask because I haven't seen a character with so few Specials in the game before, and I'm curious if I've encountered an odd bug.

Thanks.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yep, that's all it's got. Big reason I don't care for Sub in this game. 2 specials in 1 variation and 5 in the other, 2 of which a very situational and 1 that sucks.

Pretty lame.

Yep, that's all it's got. Big reason I don't care for Sub in this game. 2 specials in 1 variation and 5 in the other, 2 of which a very situational and 1 that sucks.

Pretty lame.
Okay, thanks, I'm glad it's not a bug.

I actually liked him, in the short time I played with him. I didn't like how he played in Mortal Kombat XL, and I was lukewarm on him in Mortal Kombat (2011), but he felt pretty solid to me here. I think I'll toy more with him a bit down the road.

Which of his Special Moves are situational, and which suck in Thin Ice (I think that's the other Variation's name)?

I main Kitana (both Variations) and was going to pick up Shao Kahn and Jade. Might be adding Sub-Zero to the list.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Okay, thanks, I'm glad it's not a bug.

I actually liked him, in the short time I played with him. I didn't like how he played in Mortal Kombat XL, and I was lukewarm on him in Mortal Kombat (2011), but he felt pretty solid to me here. I think I'll toy more with him a bit down the road.

Which of his Special Moves are situational, and which suck in Thin Ice (I think that's the other Variation's name)?

I main Kitana (both Variations) and was going to pick up Shao Kahn and Jade. Might be adding Sub-Zero to the list.
The ice wall projectile is situational because it's suuuuper slow start up and shrinks in size the further across the screen it goes.
The air axe is great but doesn't have the speed or arc of say kabal's air saw or jade's glaive.

The one that sucks is death cicle barrage. It's super unsafe and basically only useful for end of round chip damage to blow up last breath. If you do it after a blockstring or something it's death (for you) lol.

Ice ball (but you can't ex it cause... reasons) and Slide are the other 2 and they are obviously very useful.

Yeah. Ex ice ball takes up two slots because it is very very good. You know have the ability to combo off his overhead, essentially giving sub-zero a 50/50 vortex.

So you can look at this variation as a rush down mix up kit, while his other variation is more of a neutral zoning variation