What's new

Baraka General Discussion

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Been really excited to play my main man Baraka in a new MK game, especially one that seems to be giving him a lot of sauce!

Already, we can tell that he's gonna have a overhead/low mix out of the gate. I don't really have frame data calculated, since I don't know if going frame by frame on Youtube is an accurate way to show how fast/slow these moves are. But anyway, he has a standing low stab that might be part of a string, but that move looks really fast, maybe nigh unseeable, and we saw that Baraka could go into a launching EX special after landing it, or into a kameo.

We also saw he has a launching overhead, kinda like his B2 from MK11, only now it launches. This move looked pretty slow, almost around 30 frames before it connected, which might also be the speed of his B2 overhead from MK11. However, it launches on hit, and it should hopefully give Baraka a decent combo with and without the use of kameos.

He also has a string which includes a two hit move into a launcher, and the first part of that string is a kick that hits twice, with the second hit being an overhead, I believe. In that above match vid, you can see at 2:48 that Shao crouch blocks the first hit of that string, but then gets hit by the second hit, which leads me to believe that it's an overhead. You might be able to combine this with a kameo like Stryker who has a low hitting assist, for a tricky OH/low mix.

More importantly to me, is that he has a new special, which is this crazy looking anti-air special. One of Baraka's more interesting moves in MK11 was his spine launch(db+3), which was this insane anti-air. It looks like that's one trait that NRS wanted to carry over from MK11 Baraka, so they altered it in a way. On the ground, it's this two hitting special that knocks down; you can see it at 2:57 of that above vid. However, if this special hits an aerial opponent, it causes an attack-throw animation where Baraka stabs you above his head. This move looks like it could have a crazy hitbox, just look at that effect trail left with the move.

So, I've been pondering using that anti-air special with kameos. Cause normally, Baraka can't combo off of it, it's an ender. But, maybe, just maybe it can be a combo starter with the right kameo. Right now, I'm thinking it can synergize with Goro and Cyrax; both of these kameos have ambush anti-air kameos, Goro's being the MKX raise the roof normal and Cyrax's being the heli-chopper, which you can do either vertically straight up or slightly horizontally forward. Since these are ambush kameos, you can call them as Baraka hits an airborne opponent with that anti-air special, and depending on the hit reaction, I'm thinking Baraka can combo off of this. If he can combo off this special using kameos, he will absolutely control the air.

Otherwise, it's all a matter of seeing his other strings, specials and frame data. We know he has the spark(or, "blade launch" in this case), blade charge and blade rush/slices from MK9, which when EX'd is a launcher! Blade charge is probably his armored reversal. MK1 Baraka in my opinion is shaping up to be the best Baraka, and I'm hoping so!

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Hard to fully theiry craft obviously when havent seen full moveset/frame data.

But in my head at the min its either going to be find a strong ambush to loop chip (what cage was doing in beta with string-upppercut special,kano ball)

Or that in the orginal trailer shown a combo had insane corner carry so maybe jax/cyrax could be useful for corner setups.
Seemed to have good oki from moves shown so maybe even frost bomb be useful for him

Even though we havent seen his 3rd move maybe sub zero would be a useful kameo pick with his projectile armor.

Im also wondering since blade charge likely his armor attack will he be able to use a kameo be combo off it before the last hit knocks them down.

Thursday cant come soon enough to get him and mileena into practice mode and see whats what

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Very excited to finally play the new Baraka! I've been pondering some kameos to use for our main Tarkatan, and I've got these particular Kameos in mind, with a little explanation as to why I think they would work for him:

Sub-Zero: One of the couple anti-zoning kameos. Zoners have given Baraka some trouble in the past games, and right now, we know that Sub-Zero has the ice-armor assist that grants you projectile immunity(ala Jade's glow) at ambush speed. But aside from that, he also has a freeze assist to start or extend combos, and kold shoulder as a possible wakeup reversal or string ender to make certain blockstrings safe.

Motaro: One of the other anti-zoning kameos. Motaro comes equipped with a teleport and an advancing projectile reflect, both of which are handy anti-zoning tools, and in the case of the teleport, we've seen that it can be used to extend combos in very specific circumstances. Perhaps Baraka could use the teleport similarly. Otherwise, he has a low projectile that knocks down and a triple projectile that costs your entire kameo bar. The triple projectile can be used as both a pressure and combo tool, while the low projectile could help with low/OH mix, which we know Baraka seems to have.

Goro: There's one particular reason why I'm considering Goro as a main kameo for Baraka, and that's due to the MKX u+2 assist. Baraka has a new anti-air special in MK1 that has a special attack-throw animation if it hits airborne opponents. Since Goro's u+2 assist is an ambush, it can be used when Baraka lands this special as an anti-air. I'm thinking that Goro's u+2 would hit the opponent as they're caught in the attack-throw, and depending on the hit-reaction, Baraka might be able to actually convert off of this anti-air special that he normally wouldn't be able to convert off of.

But aside from that, Goro has MKX punch-walk, which can possibly be used as both a wakeup reversal and as a blockstring ender. He also has that launching throw, which I'm not sure if it's a low hit or an actual throw, but that could be a good tool for Baraka's low/OH mix, and finally there's the classic stomp. Baraka's blade charge causes a sliding knockdown, and since stomp is an ambush, I feel you could call in the stomp assist at the end of that move, and time it in such a way where it would catch the opponent even if they delay wakeup. Further testing will be required.

Cyrax: Cyrax I am considering for the same reason as Goro, and that's mainly for conversions off of Baraka's anti-air special. Cyrax also has an anti-air assist: the heli-chopper. This assist has two versions: one that goes vertically up, and another that goes slightly forward. Baraka could catch a jumping opponent with the anti-air special, call the vertical Cyrax heli-chopper, and maybe be able to convert into a combo after.

Otherwise, he has the classic Cyrax net, which I forget if it restands aerial opponents or not, but if it does, Baraka could use that for resets at the end of combos, or to extend combos like the Sub-Zero kameo. And then there's the self-destruct, which we know can be held to delay the explosion. That's one assist that I'm not sure how to utilize at the moment. This assist I think doesn't have a wakeup reversal, so keep that in mind.

Stryker: This combination was showcased in the last Kombat Kast. Stryker could work pretty well with Baraka, as he allows combo extension and mix potential. Stryker's handcuff assist grants you a standing reset with frame advantage, and Baraka has a standing low/OH mix that leads into a combo if either one hits. The grenade assists can help extend combos, as well as to control space in neutral, and the low/OH baton assists could help with 50/50s on block. Without knowing more about Baraka's strings, I'm not sure how effective Stryker's low/OH baton assists are for him.

Kung Lao: This assist is one I'm considering purely for the teleport assist and low hat assist. Low hat assist is lightning fast, based on the first Kombat Kast showcasing it, and the teleport is a movement option at ambush speed that I think Baraka can use in some interesting ways. I'm thinking that you could tiger knee his aerial blade spin special, and call the KL teleport assist to perhaps continue pressure or convert into a combo. He also has spin, which could possibly be used as both a combo extender/wakeup reversal.

And, that's all the ones I've been eyeing for Baraka. Sonya, Kano and Jax kameos also may have good potential with Baraka, but the above ones I'm thinking might be the most synergistic with him.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Cyrax: Cyrax I am considering for the same reason as Goro, and that's mainly for conversions off of Baraka's anti-air special. Cyrax also has an anti-air assist: the heli-chopper. This assist has two versions: one that goes vertically up, and another that goes slightly forward. Baraka could catch a jumping opponent with the anti-air special, call the vertical Cyrax heli-chopper, and maybe be able to convert into a combo after.
Cyrax looks appealing to me as well. Mustard pointed out on his stream that one of his strings into the blade dance special could do an obscene amount of chip, in the range of 10-12%. I imagine if you call Cyrax helicopter to cover the gap, you could push them towards the corner and maybe even follow behind him with some advantage

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Haven't played online yet, just labbing Baraka & kameos. Early observations:

Baraka gets crazy corner carry. From round start position, he can get to the corner with a one meter B&B.

It is possible to get a combo from his DB+1 special(anti-air attack throw), but it's very dependent on the kameo and very hard to time. The easiest I've found is using Scorpion fire breath assist, as it gives you enough time to convert even after getting knocked down from the attack throw animation.

Cyrax is probably going to be Baraka's best assist. Horizontal heli-chopper is a stupid assist; it allows Baraka safety, and crazy chip sequences(something around 15-20% chip on a blockstring, and that might not even be optimal). I also think Scorpion might be a good assist for him, if you want to play more of a defensive neutral game. Haven't unlocked Motaro yet, that's another one I want to test.

I don't think he has any threatening mids. Fastest one was a 12f F4, I think? He does have a 7f D1, so there's that.

Damage is high, I'm getting around 50% with a round-start-to-corner 1 bar B&B using Cyrax as kameo to extend the B&B.

I think he's fun! More labbing may be required to see what else he has, plus more kameo synergies.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Double post, but wanted to share a couple of vids with Baraka & kameos.

(deleting Cyrax blockstring videos due to learning they aren't true. Will try and remake videos with more detailed info)

And, a video showing a blockstring with Jax kameo unblockable, and how to avoid the ground pound by timing the df+2 special. You pretty much have to start your blockstring immediately after calling Jax in to find that sweetspot of avoiding the ground pound with Baraka's df+2, a slight delay and you'll get hit even during the jumping part of the df+2. This probably isn't super useful as it doesn't start a combo or anything, but it might help end a round.

On the note of Jax, sharing this Twitter user's Baraka & Jax UB oki setup:

Basically after a combo that ends in df+2, call in Jax UB assist, and time your F3. Also, check the #MK1_Baraka hashtag for more tech if you use Twitter.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff man ^

are you guys aware you can use cyrax RB (the straight up one) towards the end of df3 for pop up and air combo?? Kinda wonky but works in the corner pretty easily. Works mid screen as well tho. Any combo that ends in df3. Off the overhead starter the timing of the assist is a little later than normal.

So like mid screen b31 dash b31 dash 21df3 (catch opponent as close to the ground as possible) then on like 3rd hit of df3 or when Baraka does the spinning back hand part do the assist and it will carry them up and just jump up 12 air spin thing.

in the corner after cyrax assist I jump back 14 air spin. Off a meter burned df3 combo you can get 50%.

1man3letters

Double post, but wanted to share a couple of vids with Baraka & kameos.

This video shows an example of the chip damage you can get with a blockstring using Cyrax kameo, how it jails(can't neutral duck after the first df+2 special and after the heli-chopper assist) and how to avoid the chip via flawless blocking. I will say that if you mis-time your assist call, then the blockstring isn't true. But this video shows an example of how to make it a true blockstring.

And, a video showing a blockstring with Jax kameo unblockable, and how to avoid the ground pound by timing the df+2 special. You pretty much have to start your blockstring immediately after calling Jax in to find that sweetspot of avoiding the ground pound with Baraka's df+2, a slight delay and you'll get hit even during the jumping part of the df+2. This probably isn't super useful as it doesn't start a combo or anything, but it might help end a round.

On the note of Jax, sharing this Twitter user's Baraka & Jax UB oki setup:

Basically after a combo that ends in df+2, call in Jax UB assist, and time your F3. Also, check the #MK1_Baraka hashtag for more tech if you use Twitter.
1st video of cyrax very much isnt a true blockstring.

Gap by 3rd hit of df2 edx for armor

21-special cancel also a gap for armor, tired and not by console so can't remember is it between the string or the special atm haha, slower armor grt crushed though

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
1st video of cyrax very much isnt a true blockstring.

Gap by 3rd hit of df2 edx for armor

21-special cancel also a gap for armor, tired and not by console so can't remember is it between the string or the special atm haha, slower armor grt crushed though
Hm. Then, the only "true" blockstring would then be 12, db+1 into heli-chopper, and that's it.

Though, just because this has a gap, I don't think that means it's unusable. Not every opponent is going to reversal armor you through 21 or through df+2, and definitely not every time.

EDIT: OK, your post motivated me to figure out what characters can beat Baraka's 212 and 21, df+2. And, what characters lose to those same strings if they try to armor. Here's a list:

212 & 21,df+2 beats:
Mileena, Smoke, Reptile, Baraka, Sindel, Reiko, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Havik
(NOTE: Every character can armored reversal after the second hit of df+2 & heli-chopper call, except for Havik. His reversal loses in this situation.)

212 beats:
Above characters, and Kitana, Kenshi, Old Shang

212 trades with:
Tanya, Sub-Zero, Li Mei, Geras

21,df+2 loses to:
Kitana, Tanya, Rain, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Li Mei, Kenshi, Geras, Shang Tsung(young and old), General Shao, Johnny Cage, Ashrah, Nitara

212 loses to:
Rain, Scorpion, Young Shang, General Shao, Johnny Cage, Ashrah, Nitara.

I'll see if I can make a video showcasing these reversals beating and losing to these strings.

Last edited:
I really hope that if they nerf his damage or chip or cyrax stuff they give him SOMETHING in return. Like something plus, a safe overhead that ends in a knock down, a safe string that pushes back on block.... just something. Vanilla Baraka feels a bit honest.

I really hope he doesn't get nerfed tho. But if Sonic uses him with success we're all done for lol

I really hope that if they nerf his damage or chip or cyrax stuff they give him SOMETHING in return. Like something plus, a safe overhead that ends in a knock down, a safe string that pushes back on block.... just something. Vanilla Baraka feels a bit honest.

I really hope he doesn't get nerfed tho. But if Sonic uses him with success we're all done for lol
I hope they don’t nerf him. He’s definitely honest. He needs all of these advantages to be a character. Sonic fox needs to drop him. He looked nooby spamming 212 against ninjakilla anyway

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Video showing the gap in Baraka's 212, df+2 and 21,df+2 strings. What reversals beat it, what reversals lose to it, and the outliers:

At the end of the day, flawless blocking still does the trick. I wouldn't expect every opponent to armor these gaps, and especially not every time, but good to know they exist.

1man3letters

Hm. Then, the only "true" blockstring would then be 12, db+1 into heli-chopper, and that's it.

Though, just because this has a gap, I don't think that means it's unusable. Not every opponent is going to reversal armor you through 21 or through df+2, and definitely not every time.

EDIT: OK, your post motivated me to figure out what characters can beat Baraka's 212 and 21, df+2. And, what characters lose to those same strings if they try to armor. Here's a list:

212 & 21,df+2 beats:
Mileena, Smoke, Reptile, Baraka, Sindel, Reiko, Raiden, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Havik
(NOTE: Every character can armored reversal after the second hit of df+2 & heli-chopper call, except for Havik. His reversal loses in this situation.)

212 beats:
Above characters, and Kitana, Kenshi, Old Shang

212 trades with:
Tanya, Sub-Zero, Li Mei, Geras

21,df+2 loses to:
Kitana, Tanya, Rain, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Li Mei, Kenshi, Geras, Shang Tsung(young and old), General Shao, Johnny Cage, Ashrah, Nitara

212 loses to:
Rain, Scorpion, Young Shang, General Shao, Johnny Cage, Ashrah, Nitara.

I'll see if I can make a video showcasing these reversals beating and losing to these strings.
No there more than that that jail.
444db1-heli
444444db1-heli
Jk,Air spin/ex air spin-heli
F4db1-heli
d4-db1-heli
Might be more, justbwhativr tested/using at the min

Not saying its unuseable just lack mu knowledge for everyone low now so once people know about the gap in df2 more it will be more of a "issue" where cant just loop for free like. Just like how people will start copping on you can netural duck 2nd hit of b31 and full combo it like that liu kang string

Im not as worried about the gaps in strings compared the df2 but Thanks for the info on the gaps in the strings still :)

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
We already know that Baraka's db+1 has a crazy hitbox on it, but here's that crazy hitbox in action:

Between this and his d2, Baraka controls the skies.

insignis

Noob
I didn't experiment much but from what is seems:
Cyrax horizontal chopper hits during your bf3 in the corner leaving you at big plus. So you can restand you opponents finishing combos with bf3 in the corner to continue pressure.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Baraka's damage and chip damage are probably getting nerfed to oblivion soon, beware fellow Barakers
And they should. He literally dominates KL so far. His strings are so safe and hard to react to online, he gets so much easy pressure meter, and when you finally land a hit he's already built enough meter to break. Even his mixups are so hard to react to and punish. His overhead is the best in the game IMO. There's no other character that I struggle so much against online.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You seem to have a Baraka syndrome which is clouding your judgment.

His OH is like one of the slowest and most reactable things in the game. Nowhere near the best in the game. His buttons are good but nowhere near the best, it's Cyrax who enables his pressure and the insane chip. Baraka is fine as is, nothing to nerf here, maybe a slight nerf to dmg but he also isn't the highest dmg character in the game. Cyrax gonna get normalized and then Baraka will be just fine.

Also Kombat League is an indcator of.... nothing. Not to mention 90% of Demi God players(there are no Elder God yet) aren't playing Baraka in it either so that's not true. Again thou KL means nothing.

People don't lab shit, they stand-block B3, they dont even try to duck B3,1, barely anybody flawless block d,f2 3rd hit to avoid chip of that setup with Cyrax but.... When you get to high level of play this is not the case and auto-pilot Baraka players get blown to hell.

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Baraka also struggles against decent zoning. I would definitely not put him out of top 5 when paired with Cyrax, though. The thing is he is safe on everything and can catch people off-guard with a random d,f,2 after a poke, so it ends up being a matter of time before someone gets either chipped to death or opened up for 40%+ percent damage - Raiden seems to play exactly the same, but has a few other things like a teleport that help him out even more

projectzero00

nomnomnom
You seem to have a Baraka syndrome which is clouding your judgment.

His OH is like one of the slowest and most reactable things in the game. Nowhere near the best in the game. His buttons are good but nowhere near the best, it's Cyrax who enables his pressure and the insane chip. Baraka is fine as is, nothing to nerf here, maybe a slight nerf to dmg but he also isn't the highest dmg character in the game. Cyrax gonna get normalized and then Baraka will be just fine.

Also Kombat League is an indcator of.... nothing. Not to mention 90% of Demi God players(there are no Elder God yet) aren't playing Baraka in it either so that's not true. Again thou KL means nothing.

People don't lab shit, they stand-block B3, they dont even try to duck B3,1, barely anybody flawless block d,f2 3rd hit to avoid chip of that setup with Cyrax but.... When you get to high level of play this is not the case and auto-pilot Baraka players get blown to hell.
You seem to think everyone is a pro player that can easily flawless block and punish every gap every character has (including the ones they don't play). There's casual players that make 90% of online players. And yes KL means something when you want to have fun with the game and also get rewards without getting constantly stumped by a specific overpowered character. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I can certainly pull off some good 30%-50% combos online. Yet Baraka is the one character I've struggled against the most, and to my own personal experience, he should definitely not be as safe/get so much dmg off.

As for his buttons not being the best in the game (other than his safe af strings), how many characters in the game have both low and overhead starter normals that can lead to juggles? Genuinely curious...

Last edited:

projectzero00

nomnomnom
  1. B3 is super fast to react to, especially when he also has an overhead starter.
  2. B3,1 is again not easy to just duck punish when he can easily switch to B3,2 which is a mid. I've gotten punished for trying to duck-react to B3,1 multiple times.
  3. The flawless block point I won't even respond to, because if you resort to flawless block arguments to try and justify how easy a character is to punish, then you've proven my point.
Point is, his 50-50s are insanely good and he shuts down many characters by default. Lab or no lab. Your whole argument is, Baraka is fine because high-level players can react to some of the stuff he has. But most people aren't high level players lol

His OH is like one of the slowest and most reactable things in the game.
No it's not. Yes its startup might not be super fast, but it's super hard to react to on wakeup when he has both an overhead AND a low starter that can juggle afterwards. Plus even if you manage to predict right and block it, it's only -7 block adv which means pretty much no character can punish it. Long story short, on top of his 50-50s, he is also safe when you predict him right. That's pretty broken to me compared to the rest of the cast.

Last edited: