What's new

Bad habits

Hey ST people, I'm a long time lurker of the forums, but I just recently decided to join. Anyway, I created this thread not only to seek personal advice but also to encourage others to post what common bad habits are prevalent among new Shang players.

I find that i rely too heavily on jump punches to begin my pressure/land big combos, my spacing with F4 is always off and I get crossed over like no other, How do you guys land that first hit without a JIP or easy punish? Furthermore, when mounting an offense how do you handle cross over JPs with shang? I often find myself mashing on d3 to lower my hitbox, but i still get hit quite a bit

I also have a hard time pressuring low hitbox characters (specifically meleena), largely due to my reliance on JIPs. I find myself JKing alot to deal with them, but i know that there is a better way to approach this, how do you handle it?

Thanks a lot in advance, and dont forget to post common mistakes that you used to make also!

Hey dude!!!
shang tough guy to learn, ima trying to get a "shang" of him myself
so i can tell by what you said that your an online player. there is a few online guides to teach you some preasure combos.
try starting with f3 4 groundskull

for cross ups use shangs up skull. it seems like its too slow to use but the instance where the skull will spawn will move its position in order to help the player hit cross ups better. just use any up skull into a 1 12 12 12 skull combo when your being crossed up. or try useing d1 ss

Thanks for the advice, I'll try out up skull as anti cross up.
I've got all of shangs bnbs down, so i wasnt really confused as to which combos i should be doing, rather, i was running in to the problem of getting crossed up when ever i dashed in to start F4 3 4 gs or f4 gs pressure.

Do you find d4 useful? isnt it supposed to guarantee a f4 on hit?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Jumping is often a bad habit gained from playing online, and if you realise you're doing it then you shouldn't have too much of a hard time training yourself not to do it all the time. It's just a mental thing, as is knowing the correct spacing for a f4, you just have to put time into really learning it.

I find the 122 string useful for advancing on an opponent, it's +4 on hit and neutral on block, the only problem being is that all the hits are high, so don't abuse it. When it comes to dealing with JP attempts, 1 or f2 are both good choices to AA them. D1 isn't bad either for cross-ups.

Spletty

Grandmaster
the jip is my worst habit as well. f3 dash 1 dash 112 SS is my go to starter for not using the jip. i feel like shangs starter combos dont have much range and a jip is the best option, even though its super unsafe

NKZero

Noob
Shang doesn't have the best anti cross-up options but I'd say if you anticipate it NJP as Qwark28 pointed out or step back standing 1 or even d1 (though that is a tad risky). Also with Shang's offense I like to d3 into f4-ground skull on crouch blocking characters with low hit-boxes. Otherwise f434 or 221 into ground skull. I also do max range d4 into ground skull or close range into soul steal on block. If it hits, I dash in and do the f4 shenanigans or maybe go for his 50/50 into soul steal.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Shang doesn't have the best anti cross-up options but I'd say if you anticipate it NJP as Qwark28 pointed out or step back standing 1 or even d1 (though that is a tad risky).
note this only applies in offline,do this online and you'll get raped.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Thanks for the advice, I'll try out up skull as anti cross up.
I've got all of shangs bnbs down, so i wasnt really confused as to which combos i should be doing, rather, i was running in to the problem of getting crossed up when ever i dashed in to start F4 3 4 gs or f4 gs pressure.

Do you find d4 useful? isnt it supposed to guarantee a f4 on hit?
nah it doesnt guarantee a f4 but you get a free dash into a blockstring of f434,so yeah its pretty useful,great range too.as for the getting crossed up thing id just njp,so many people forget to do it,ive only just started using it myself on a regular basis!
as for dashing in with f434,personally i dont ever do that i go (if blocking)12,d3,f4 gs.
i only ever go for f434 or 221 after a jump in punch.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
anyone up for some shang mirrors hit me up my gt is fr stack i know some cool shit wit de sorcerer

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
anyone up for some shang mirrors hit me up my gt is fr stack i know some cool shit wit de sorcerer
yeah,id like that at some point.you can teach me a trick or two,my shang needs alot of work! oh yeah thanks for the games the other day,u destroyed me lol.

Always a good time getting "JAJAJA" 'ed at by some South American player horribly abusing lag tactics with their god awful connection lol
jajaja is the same thing as hahaha if you say it out loud, hence names like jose lol
Ironsoulsmasher said:
Guess I'm lucky to play people with whom I have stable enough connections that I can consistently land standing 1 AAs with 3 characters.
yeah, you're very lucky. i could never AA online consistently.

Thanks for the advice, NJPs have greatly helped by anti crossover game!

On the topic of AAs, what do you guys think of standing 3 or 1,3 as AA? both lead to good damage, but are sort of awkward to land Other than as a possible AA, these normals seem totally useless, are they? When i play offline, sometimes Ill AA with 1, and follow up with 1,3 far gs ex gs dash US 1,2 upskull pressure for more damage than id get from the standard AA juggle into US/SS

Do you have any uses for 3 or 1,3?

Theme

Noob
I dont play Shang Tsung anymore (despite my signature lol) but speaking of bad habits, JIP is one of mines as well. I tend to also try to wakeup a lot, which is easily read.