What's new

Back UP Skull Usage

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
I gotta say, I use fireballs. A LOT. But for the likes of me I can't find a single good consistent use for the UP Back skull.

I've only hit someone in one occasion:
At the start of a match to hit sub-zero when he tries to trick you with his ice clone (dumbass lol :) )
This works best after he knocks you down but it's risky v.s ground attacks.
Typically I do a up back fireball, middle ground, far ground, super far ground then depending on bars keep adding to the punishment or do some hand combos. If he tries to jump over you, he gets hit, jumps or walks back and gets hit.

If anyone knows of a use for this fireball in a combo, or other situation please let me know.

I'd imagine you could hit someone who jumps backwards all the time, but the ground skulls are better for that. I would use it against annoying jumping kabals that fire off too many fireballs if it wasn't so slow to use.

kanaida

I'll try that out. Seems like it could work perhaps at the end of a combo. couldn't really see it hitting if it's started on it's own. I usually use the down up BP fireball for that since they are already full screen most of the time.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
If you finish a block string with US you can condition them to back away when they see it and you can start throwing it out.

kanaida

I haven't been able to nab someone with what you said (they keep jumping forward, i still hit them though lol, just on the way up.). But I have been able to consistently hit sub-zero at the begging of most matches. It's just instinct for them to ice clone right away. I can punish right away. Having the first hit is awesome because it gives you that free bar:

bUS,fGS,fGS,EXGS,BK,EXGS etc.. etc... there's so many choices here :) I prefer as many fireballs + roundhouses as much as possible (it's good with the damage scaling). Generally the first hit leads me to 40-50% damage from the first strike. Sometimes they use a breaker on the physical parts of the combo, but that leaves them down to 0 bars. After that I keep them locked where I want with up and down fireballs as i back away, throw in some FP,BP,FP to navigate under people jumping towards me for evasion.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The people you're playing don't know the MU if they allow themselves to be 'locked' by Shang's zoning.

kanaida

I'm not familiar with that abbreviation 'MU'. But I can tell you that many people do this out of reflex. I'm uploading a video right now showing it being used live.