What's new

Strategy Back-up characters for Sub Zero

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Here are subs bad MUs IMO. I think a good back-up character would be KL. Kenshi is probably Subs worst MU and KL really blows Kenshi up. KL goes even or better against Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Kabal, Noob, Raiden, Sindel, Smoke. That leaves a KL mirror, Jax and Kitana. KL can still beat all those characters so IMO is a good secondary/counter-pick. I hope the post helps.

Cyrax
Ermac
Freddy
Jax
Kabal
Kenshi
Kitana
Kung Lao
Noob
Raiden
Sindel
Smoke
I don't think Smoke is a bad matchup... nor Ermac. (Cyrax wouldn't be without his resets I don't think) ... But I can see the rest.

I actually tried Kung Lao... but I think I fall into the "spin to win" too much with him. haha ... and like everyone from TYM that I fought in ranked while using KL would message me after saying, "don't use KL" ... when I asked why they were just like, "you'll get a bad rep"

Also, I'd like to know how KL really blows up Kenshi? Can't Kenshi outzone him and if he teleports or dive kicks just spirit charge him right back out?

To everyone else... how exactly does Cage counter KL? His B3? That's all I can think of. He's not very mobile just like Sub isn't.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I don't think Smoke is a bad matchup... nor Ermac. (Cyrax wouldn't be without his resets I don't think) ... But I can see the rest.

I actually tried Kung Lao... but I think I fall into the "spin to win" too much with him. haha ... and like everyone from TYM that I fought in ranked while using KL would message me after saying, "don't use KL" ... when I asked why they were just like, "you'll get a bad rep"

Also, I'd like to know how KL really blows up Kenshi? Can't Kenshi outzone him and if he teleports or dive kicks just spirit charge him right back out?

To everyone else... how exactly does Cage counter KL? His B3? That's all I can think of. He's not very mobile just like Sub isn't.
He can basically whiff punish everything Lao does. Basically... play Cage like a counter puncher to Lao. You can dash INTO his teleport and punish him for free.

BTW... Lao is a footsie monster. How in the WORLD is he not? he has an OH that is SAFE from outside of d4 distance... he has fast normals and pokes. He can basically chip you to death, and you can't jump in on him to counter his poking. yeeeeeaaaaaah.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
BTW... Lao is a footsie monster. How in the WORLD is he not? he has an OH that is SAFE from outside of d4 distance... he has fast normals and pokes. He can basically chip you to death, and you can't jump in on him to counter his poking. yeeeeeaaaaaah.
Yeah he is, but Cage has more of an "ice clone effect"; you can't just walk up to him in the same way you can't just walk up to Sub-Zero. Kung lao's spin isn't the same because it's so unsafe.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
He can basically whiff punish everything Lao does. Basically... play Cage like a counter puncher to Lao. You can dash INTO his teleport and punish him for free.
REALLY!?? ... I may have to work on some Cage...

I'd like to see a JC/KL match so that I could get an idea though.

Anyway, I still that Kenshi is a good backup for Sub-Zero. Trying to find a female character right now as well. (leaning toward Sonya)

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I have also been using KL with decent success. Even managed to pull off a 41% combo online. Most of the time though I'll just chip you to death with him, lol. D3 & D4 Low hats are great. Great AA. I've also picked up smoke for fun even though I keep dropping his combos (for now).

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I've really been using a lot of Smoke as my back-up, as of late. Even if NRS takes out the reset, I think that I will continue to use him. I really like his AA ability with either standing 2 or D1.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Here are subs bad MUs IMO. I think a good back-up character would be KL. Kenshi is probably Subs worst MU and KL really blows Kenshi up. KL goes even or better against Cyrax, Ermac, Freddy, Kabal, Noob, Raiden, Sindel, Smoke. That leaves a KL mirror, Jax and Kitana. KL can still beat all those characters so IMO is a good secondary/counter-pick. I hope the post helps.
This is what I've come up with thus far...my opinions aren't set in stone, this is just a brief overview of some recent lab work...I was gonna start a thread, but you saved me the trouble :D. Gracias, Muerte.

Cyrax - Between knowing him reasonably well and watching Brady V Cyrax matches, I feel comfortable enough in this match. One's ability to navigate the minefield is essential in this match as, other than half-armored EX Slide, he has no easy way out. Patience. Fucking patience. Make the mustard work for you, then lay his ass out on the hot dog.
Ermac - Not that bad a matchup, IMO. Definitely a Better Player Wins kind of fight. Ermac has the better tools, but nothing particularly terrifying.
Freddy - Projectile traps everywhere. Can it be done? Sure. Consistently? Doubt it. This is a fight for Smoke.
Jax - Again, it's tough, but far from impossible. Both characters want to get to AND avoid the same place: the corner. So the whole match is a mindjob before the bell even rings. You're Bugs Bunny, Jax is Elmer Fudd. Bait out his Meter, make that fucker chase you, then give him the spear and magic helmet. Easier said than done, I suppose...
Kabal - Fuck this guy. At absolute full-speed, I don't comprehend how Sub can make it happen. iAGBs make moving impossible. You can't jump l'est you eat a combo, you can't EX Slide because he recovers fast enough to block it, and even if he doesn't, you're now short a bar for minimal damage and he has a basket full of goodies with which to smite you when he gets up. Also a fight for Smoke, maybe even gonna put some ketchup on my fries and learn some Sektor.
Kenshi - I don't think I need to say anything about this one. Smoke. Maybe Liu Kang, depending on the Kenshi.
Kitana - A match I don't have a problem with on a less-than-full-speed level, but at a tournament, not the best scenario. Same scenario as Kabal; iA projectiles & Flying Ass limit the screen completely, except instead of getting Dashed like a preschool activity book, you're eating 30-50% combos, juggles, and fans. A lot of people go Kenshi, but Mr. Mileena & Pig Of The Hut made this matchup look too even for it to seem like an advantage. The vote goes to Raiden.
Kung Lao - Hahahahahahahahaha...fucking Hats. He gets Kitana.
Noob - I HATE THIS MATCH. It's a complete guessing game, definitely winnable by Sub if he reads right, but IIIIII HAAAATE THIIIIIS MAAAAAATCH. It just infuriates me. Raiden. Definitely Raiden.
Raiden - I've never really felt that overwhelmed by Raiden as Sub. Not any more than with my other characters. Reads, patience, patience, reads, patience, and pray for a blocked Superman.
Sindel - DanCock makes me see this match in Sindel's favor. But I really wanna work on it. It's like a different take on the Cyrax minefield. May end up countering, but really don't want to. I'm sure there's a way in for Sub somewhere.
Smoke - Really don't think this match is that bad, but I could be insane. This is where Sub's turtle shell gets to shine. Smoke has no way to safely injure you from a distance, but you have to move like a ninja (lolz) in order to keep your distance since he has so many ways to navigate the screen. Doable. Definitely doable.

@Death, you don't think Liu's on the list?

NKZero

Noob
Who I use for tough Sub Zero match-ups:

Ermac: Johnny Cage
Jax: Johnny Cage
Kabal: Sektor
Kenshi: Sektor
Kitana: Sektor
Kung Lao: Johnny Cage (but I have no problem using Sub Zero)
Liu Kang (personal bad match): Sektor
Noob Saibot: Sektor
Smoke: Johnny Cage

Once my Kenshi levels up I may use him for some matches (notably Kitana, Liu Kang and Ermac). Hopefully I get to the point where the only characters I need to counterpick for are Kabal, Kenshi and Kitana. I use Nightwolf just because I like him but I may drop him so I can focus on Kenshi and bring him up to scratch. Plus I don't think I play that well with Nightwolf. My gameplay doesn't match my knowledge on the character :(.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Who I use for tough Sub Zero match-ups:

Ermac: Johnny Cage
Jax: Johnny Cage
Kabal: Sektor
Kenshi: Sektor
Kitana: Sektor
Kung Lao: Johnny Cage (but I have no problem using Sub Zero)
Liu Kang (personal bad match): Sektor
Noob Saibot: Sektor
Smoke: Johnny Cage
Who i use for bad Sub Zero matchups:

Kung Lao.

Come at me, bro.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR

Cyrax
Ermac
Freddy
Jax
Kabal
Kenshi
Kitana
Kung Lao
Noob
Raiden
Sindel
Smoke
Cyrax isn't bad match up. It's just that fucking reset that blow things up, but that's against any character, right? lol

Ermac, Noob and Smoke are not bad match up either. Those match ups are all about reads. The player with better read wins, period. Sub doesn't have any advantage over them, but I don't consider those character to totally blow Sub either. 5.5-4.5 at their advatange, I'd say.

Just my 2 cents.

But yeah KL would be a good character to deal with all those character. Raiden and Smoke are also good backup character for Sub.

Via_Negativa

Darkforge
Most of these bad matches claimed on this thread I don't even think are bad. 5-5 is not a bad matchup. Still I have real trouble with that bitch kitana, no way is that a 5-5. GTFO. You have to chase the bitch and that's exactly what she want's....

Still really up in the air who I want for secondaries.