What's new

Question back 121 slide questions

I was messing around with back 121 slide and cant quite figure out how this works, does the stun from this combo actually make the slide unblockable even though it isn't actually a true combo? is it a frame trap? i dont have anyone to test with so im not 100% sure, If so, 22 freeze back 121 slide does 30% but i can't tell if the slide is blockable or not.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
It is blockable. Back121 staggers your opponent, sort of like JOHNNY CAAAAAGE's nut punch. If they block low they will block it.

zee

Icy
The slide after b+1,2,1 is definitely blockable. The only thing you can do after b+1,2,1 is dash in for pressure; it doesn't even offer a true safe jump because the opponent recovers quicker than you can get in a jump punch. At best, you'll punch them while they're jumping away.

Altaire

Noob
You can't combo off B1 2 1, but it's still great to follow a freeze with. You can hit a frozen opponent with jump in punch B1 2 1 instead of jump in punch 2 1 4, and for 4% less damage, you get ridiculous advantage on hit and leave your opponent in a stand. I seriously never would've thought to try it until I saw Denzel use it at Evo, and when I first saw it, I remember thinking "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?" I actually assumed he was another kid who came from online with now idea how to play the game, like the many bad Ermacs we saw on screen.

Rest assured, I ate my words in short order, because he's one of the best Sub Zero players I've ever seen and that reset is fucking brilliant. I wrote it off pretty quickly, but then I thought "Wait, this does almost as much damage as 2 1 4 and leaves your opponent in a stand, what the hell was I thinking?" I can't believe no one has thought to try it sooner. You can get a great 50/50 off it as well: If your opponent tries to block, you can throw them. If they try to tech the throw or attack you, you can 2 2 freeze, and continue the reset. Worst case scenario, even if the 2 2 is blocked, you can always hit confirm into 2 2 4 clone to get out safely. I've made this a regular part of my game since I saw it at Evo, and it's been working wonders.

Something to consider, at least.

You can't combo off B1 2 1, but it's still great to follow a freeze with. You can hit a frozen opponent with jump in punch B1 2 1 instead of jump in punch 2 1 4, and for 4% less damage, you get ridiculous advantage on hit and leave your opponent in a stand. I seriously never would've thought to try it until I saw Denzel use it at Evo, and when I first saw it, I remember thinking "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?" I actually assumed he was another kid who came from online with now idea how to play the game, like the many bad Ermacs we saw on screen.

Rest assured, I ate my words in short order, because he's one of the best Sub Zero players I've ever seen and that reset is fucking brilliant. I wrote it off pretty quickly, but then I thought "Wait, this does almost as much damage as 2 1 4 and leaves your opponent in a stand, what the hell was I thinking?" I can't believe no one has thought to try it sooner. You can get a great 50/50 off it as well: If your opponent tries to block, you can throw them. If they try to tech the throw or attack you, you can 2 2 freeze, and continue the reset. Worst case scenario, even if the 2 2 is blocked, you can always hit confirm into 2 2 4 clone to get out safely. I've made this a regular part of my game since I saw it at Evo, and it's been working wonders.

Tamanapants wrote about it on these very forums ages ago. I almost always use it, unless I really want that wall-carry. It's actually a bit more dmg than the regular BnBs, when you consider the chip you get afterwards (I always start up 2,1 pressure/mixups). It's a good way to end rounds, too, because you'll often kill them with chip instead of dmg, and so you gain yourself some meter while depriving them of theirs.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
after b1,2,1 i usually do f4 slide or freeze.. you guys think 2,1,4 is better? f4 is a mid and slide low so youll prolly get a hit and if they block low which many tend to you can do freeze and start all over again.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat

Yeah I had a face palm moment there too, I was messing around with back 121 stuff a month or two ago and I completely wrote it off because doing slide or EX Ice Ball after it was blockable.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I think the options off b121 are garbage, to be honest. The only person I've ever considered it against is Kung Lao but now I am more comfortable with how I should handle his wakeup options, I don't use it against him either.

b121 leaves your opponent standing like a Johnny Cage nut punch but so what? None of your strings jail like Johnny's. You take away so much for your opponent to consider by using this that it just doesn't make sense to use it. Anybody who understands what frame advantage is, isn't going to to try and mindlessly press buttons against you afterwards. The worst they eat is a slide or a throw afterwards and choosing to slide can be high risk and low reward. Off a standard 214, slide, or 214 in the corner, you are making your opponent contemplate doing the risky wakeup attack only to get hit by another full combo. Why would you take on that risk yourself? Sooner or later, you will get burned badly just going by the percentages by sliding into a low block and you will also miss out on many opportunities to force your opponent into a mistake. Sub-Zero is an aggressive baiting character. Not a rushdown character like Cage or a zoner like Noob Saibot. Stop buying your opponent's worthless debt by using b121 and stick to Sub's main strengths.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I think the options off b121 are garbage, to be honest. The only person I've ever considered it against is Kung Lao but now I am more comfortable with how I should handle his wakeup options, I don't use it against him either.

b121 leaves your opponent standing like a Johnny Cage nut punch but so what? None of your strings jail like Johnny's. You take away so much for your opponent to consider by using this that it just doesn't make sense to use it. Anybody who understands what frame advantage is, isn't going to to try and mindlessly press buttons against you afterwards. The worst they eat is a slide or a throw afterwards and choosing to slide can be high risk and low reward. Off a standard 214, slide, or 214 in the corner, you are making your opponent contemplate doing the risky wakeup attack only to get hit by another full combo. Why would you take on that risk yourself? Sooner or later, you will get burned badly just going by the percentages by sliding into a low block and you will also miss out on many opportunities to force your opponent into a mistake. Sub-Zero is an aggressive baiting character. Not a rushdown character like Cage or a zoner like Noob Saibot. Stop buying your opponent's worthless debt by using b121 and stick to Sub's main strengths.
i think its a very useful tool.. you dont just go in with the slide or a freeze right after.. f4, slide is pretty useful as they first have to block high and low and if it hits will add about 16% damage and if they try to jump away they get hit by both.. obviously you dont keep repeating but a useful tool to have in your arsenal

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

I think I use it maybe once a match JUST to throw someone off guard. Usually when I feel like cancelling the b2 reset I go to this because most people just stay blocking high... and you can end in a sweep.
Again I agree with you, Sub has no jail strings to make this worth while. BUT, sal, you have to admit that you adjust to seeing the same thing over and over. Its a neat wrinkle.

Altaire

Noob

You are looking at this so one-dimensionally it hurts.

First off, you said the only decent options off B1 2 1 on freeze are "a throw or a slide". Did you ever consider... I don't know, dash in 2 2? You can hit confirm into a freeze if it gets in, or 2 2 4 clone if it's blocked (which actually makes back the 4% damage you lose for using B1 2 1). The point of B1 2 1 is that it lets you continue pressuring an opponent you just DON'T want to let up on, which is beneficial in certain matchups. Against someone with a strong wakeup game, this is a godsend. You do still have that throw mixup as well once they start to respect the 2 2 and block in anticipation of it, which basically puts you up around 40% damage off your combo.

I already know Brady is opposed to it, but whatever, different strokes. I've personally found it to be a big help in some matchups. Stop telling people what Sub's "main strengths" are, because this is an absolutely viable tactic. I won't even call you on how ignorant it is to assume your only options after landing B1 2 1 are to slide or throw.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
You are looking at this so one-dimensionally it hurts.

First off, you said the only decent options off B1 2 1 on freeze are "a throw or a slide". Did you ever consider... I don't know, dash in 2 2? You can hit confirm into a freeze if it gets in, or 2 2 4 clone if it's blocked (which actually makes back the 4% damage you lose for using B1 2 1). The point of B1 2 1 is that it lets you continue pressuring an opponent you just DON'T want to let up on, which is beneficial in certain matchups. Against someone with a strong wakeup game, this is a godsend. You do still have that throw mixup as well once they start to respect the 2 2 and block in anticipation of it, which basically puts you up around 40% damage off your combo.

I already know Brady is opposed to it, but whatever, different strokes. I've personally found it to be a big help in some matchups. Stop telling people what Sub's "main strengths" are, because this is an absolutely viable tactic. I won't even call you on how ignorant it is to assume your only options after landing B1 2 1 are to slide or throw.
Of course you can start using 22 and mixing it up with throws. I know Sub-Zero's options. What I said was that somebody with any kind of knowledge of the game will not press buttons to ever get hit by 22. The throw option is fine but can still be teched and if they fuzzyguard they can block both the slide and the f4, which is not good for you. You can do b121 and then 224, clone for more chip to make up for the damage you lost but you're back to the neutral game again when you could have had a knockdown. I just don't understand why you'd want to avoid knocking somebody down. Nobody's wakeup options are that strong that you can't bait them and punish the hell out of them.

The point of 2,2 xx Freeze, JIP b+1,2,1 isn't to get your opponent into some kind of mixup. If the opp is dumb enough to get hit by whatever follow-up you do, that's just a bonus. The point of it is to remove any wake-up options from the opp, and to build meter while taking a bit of chip (to make up the dmg). If you do 2,2,4 xx Clone or 2,1,2 xx Clone, it actually makes it 1% more dmg than the JIP 2,1,4 xx Slide staple.

I often use b+1,2,1 as a combo-ender, and then start up 2,1 pressure/mixups. It's especially good in the corner, because then you can do 2,1,2 xx Clone for the nice setups you get from it.

I don't get a lot of Sub players... They seem to think Sub only works one way, and that they have to choose between his tools and only stick to one thing at a time. The new BnB came out, and people started saying "So do I stop using 2,2 now?" and with this option people say "No no, 2,1,4 xx Slide is so much better!" Why not use a bit of everything, and play it by ear? Go with what works in certain situations.

Having said that, I actually like it when some Sub players decide they don't like certain tactics and won't use them, because it means each Sub player becomes more unique, and shows that Sub-Zero isn't as one-dimentional as a lot of people seem to think.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The point of 2,2 xx Freeze, JIP b+1,2,1 isn't to get your opponent into some kind of mixup. If the opp is dumb enough to get hit by whatever follow-up you do, that's just a bonus. The point of it is to remove any wake-up options from the opp, and to build meter while taking a bit of chip (to make up the dmg). If you do 2,2,4 xx Clone or 2,1,2 xx Clone, it actually makes it 1% more dmg than the JIP 2,1,4 xx Slide staple.

I often use b+1,2,1 as a combo-ender, and then start up 2,1 pressure/mixups. It's especially good in the corner, because then you can do 2,1,2 xx Clone for the nice setups you get from it.

I don't get a lot of Sub players... They seem to think Sub only works one way, and that they have to choose between his tools and only stick to one thing at a time. The new BnB came out, and people started saying "So do I stop using 2,2 now?" and with this option people say "No no, 2,1,4 xx Slide is so much better!" Why not use a bit of everything, and play it by ear? Go with what works in certain situations.

Having said that, I actually like it when some Sub players decide they don't like certain tactics and won't use them, because it means each Sub player becomes more unique, and shows that Sub-Zero isn't as one-dimentional as a lot of people seem to think.
well said. I know you've stated you like putting pressure with 2,1 alot. I tend to use 2,2 more for the jump over factor. I actually saw someone use the 1,3,b4 after a blocked 1,2 just to get the knockdown on the sweep. I mean honestly... who do you know uses 1,3,b4 (i think thats what it was).

I bet if I were to play or watch Sal... he's probably better than Mech at keeping people off him. I bet Mech is much more aggressive. They both work.

Well the thing about b+1,2,1 is that it gives so much advantage, the opp can't jump out of your 2,1 anyway. If they try, you'll be getting a free combo.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
well said. I know you've stated you like putting pressure with 2,1 alot. I tend to use 2,2 more for the jump over factor. I actually saw someone use the 1,3,b4 after a blocked 1,2 just to get the knockdown on the sweep. I mean honestly... who do you know uses 1,3,b4 (i think thats what it was).

I bet if I were to play or watch Sal... he's probably better than Mech at keeping people off him. I bet Mech is much more aggressive. They both work.
I appreciate people can play differently with a character. I play patiently for the most part because I like to be just outside my opponent's jump in range a lot of the time, and go fishing with d4 clone, cancelled jump ins, and 22's. I use a lot of 224, clone, until I can score a knockdown. Then I become much more aggressive. I usually become more aggressive when I have a strong meter lead rather than life lead. I generally don't worry so much about life leads. My experience is I can turn what look like bad situations around even against Kung Lao, Cage, etc, just by having meter at he right time in the game.

All in general, of course. We all have to adapt to matchups and add new things to our games. I am far from great at this stage.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat

Options after b121:
- F4, slide
- F4, clone
- F4, Ice Ball
- Dash, 22, Ice Ball
- Dash, 224, clone
- dash, throw
- any low poke, Clone
- 212, clone

the list goes on, thats pretty far from garbage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Options after b121:
- F4, slide
- F4, clone
- F4, Ice Ball
- Dash, 22, Ice Ball
- Dash, 224, clone
- dash, throw
- any low poke, Clone
- 212, clone

the list goes on, thats pretty far from garbage.
Maybe you can keep pressure because they can't wake up... but most mistakes are made when there is a knockdown.

Just to put in perspective... Smoke, Reptile, Kung Lao, JC can beat all of those with a special. Any armor move can win as well.
If I take a knockdown string I keep them guessing... back dash clone (catches fast wakeups) dash in an pressure the same way above... or just clone pressure the same as above.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Maybe you can keep pressure because they can't wake up... but most mistakes are made when there is a knockdown.

Just to put in perspective... Smoke, Reptile, Kung Lao, JC can beat all of those with a special. Any armor move can win as well.
If I take a knockdown string I keep them guessing... back dash clone (catches fast wakeups) dash in an pressure the same way above... or just clone pressure the same as above.
B121 gives sub zero frame advantage so the only thing the opponent can do is block high or low. The mix-up/ mind game potential off of it is pretty awesome and it prevents wake up attacks, theres no reason not use it IMO.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
B1,2,1-Dash-1,3-ice clone or slide, in the corner

mind games

or you could add the 2,1,2 pressure

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
B121 gives sub zero frame advantage so the only thing the opponent can do is block high or low. The mix-up/ mind game potential off of it is pretty awesome and it prevents wake up attacks, theres no reason not use it IMO.
Sure there's a reason not to use it: the worst place you can possibly be in this game is on the floor.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You can't interrupt Sub after b+1,2,1. Not even with something like Spin. The +F on it are just too great.
really... i thought the fastest moves could interupt. my bad ;)

But I'm in the same boat as Sal here. I really think being grounded is a worse position to be in.
To each his own? I'd say so. I will try it out though, just to see how I like it .

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Sure there's a reason not to use it: the worst place you can possibly be in this game is on the floor.
That depends on the situation, many times this game comes down to use of wake up attacks. Im not saying you should ALWAYS use B121 but I am saying theres no reason not to atleast incorporate it into your game.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
That depends on the situation, many times this game comes down to use of wake up attacks. Im not saying you should ALWAYS use B121 but I am saying theres no reason not to atleast incorporate it into your game.
Actually, b121 would hurt my Sub-Zero because I use 214, slide for the wall carry and b2 reset when I have my opp in the corner.