What's new

Match-up Discussion B W1zZ' Raiden Matchup Chart

B W1zZ

Noob
B W1zZ aka The Wizard's Raiden Matchup Chart

NOTE: I will update the characters descriptions and possibly the numbers as I test more things out, and as new feedback from top/knowledgeable players is received. I didn't note every way Raiden's B312 and 334 strings can be interrupted with each character, or at all. Essentially any character that has an armored attack, xray, or a 6 frame or less poke/special can interrupt and/or escape these strings; between any hit of B312 or before the 4 in 334, although I have not tested all of the armored moves.

Most of the teleport punishers listed under each character were stolen from the new Raiden Teleport Punishment Guide by [MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION]

You could call this a work in progress but I believe it to be accurate for the most part, with some of the scores being arguable:

Scorpion: 6-4 ([MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] 5-5)
Liu Kang: 6-4 ([MENTION=204]B W1zZ[/MENTION]: I think this could be another 5-5)
Kung Lao: 5-5
Sub Zero: 6-4 ([MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] 5.5-4.5)
Sindel: 7-3
Ermac: 6-4
Reptile: 5-5
Kitana: 6-4
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Jade: 7-3
Mileena: 5-5 ([MENTION=4672]ZeroEffect[/MENTION] gives this a 6-4)
Nightwolf: 6-4
Cyrax: 6-4
Noob: 7-3
Smoke: 6-4
Sektor: 6-4
Sonya: 4-6
Jax: 6-4
Kano: 5-5
Stryker: 6-4
Shang Tsung: 7-3
Baraka: 7-3 ([MENTION=3680]SomeCubanGuy[/MENTION] 6-4)
Kabal: 5-5
Raiden: 5-5
Cyber Sub Zero: 5-5
Sheeva: 6-4 ([MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] 5-5)
Quan Chi: 6-4

Skarlet:[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] gives this a7-3
Kenshi: [MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] gives this a5-5
Rain: 5-5
Freddy: n/a

Scorpion 6-4: Raiden can D4xShocker or Ex Shocker Scorpion's regular and enhanced teleports on reaction. Scorpion generally has a hard time keeping Raiden locked down in his 111 pressure game due to teleport. Scorpion's main goal should be to keep Raiden trapped in his vortex. Scorpion’s en leg takedown can interrupt B312 and 334. Raiden’s teleport is punished by all pokes, 11, 33, and 21.

[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says: I think this has the potential to be closer to 5/5. Scorpion seems to have a strange sort of dominance here in neutral situations with Hellfire. You cannot react to that move, you have to read and get off the ground first, which puts you at risk for an AA spear into vortex. It's very hard to approach a Scorpion who's running away from you. I don't think this is really a fight where you can afford to lose a life lead.

Liu Kang 6-4: Liu Kang is pretty good at keeping Raiden locked down in his pressure making it difficult to teleport out, but Raiden can slip past most of Liu Kang's zoning with teleport or supermans. Low and air fireballs are punished on reaction by superman, or alternatively en superman. Liu Kang can en flying kick or en bicycle kick to interrupt Raiden’s B312 and 334 strings (tested). Raiden’s teleport is punished by all pokes, B312 and 213.

Kung Lao 5-5: One of Raiden's most competitive matchups. Kung Lao is good at keeping Raiden locked down with his 1121 string, but at the same time Raiden has several options for keeping Lao off of him. 2,4 1+2 and 21212 are punished on block by a fast superman. Kung Lao's regular teleport is punished on reaction by ex shocker into a 30% combo. Kung Lao can spin Raiden between any hit of B312 and before the 4 in 334, or alternatively xray. Mid to full screen low hat tosses are punished by a fast superman on reaction. 112, 21212, B33, and Xray all punish Raiden's teleport.

Sub Zero 6-4: An arguable matchup in terms of score, but pretty even for the most part with slight advantage to Raiden. On reaction Raiden can en superman through ice clone or teleport for a punish. On reaction sub can punish teleport with his 21, 214, or 22 strings. Sub Zero's 212 string can be interrupted with en shocker, en superman, or xray before the last hit if timed right. If sub does an ice clone at the same time Raiden does en tele, Raiden can opt to hold block while appearing on the 2nd tele to shatter the ice clone, making sub have a longer cooldown before he can use clone again. Sub can en slide to interrupt Raiden's b312 or 334. Raiden's teleport makes it difficult for Sub-Zero to keep him locked down in his corner pressure.

[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says: Maybe more 5.5-4.5 Raiden? I think this fight is a little bit easier for Raiden because he can take more risks, but he certainly doesn't have any hard advantage over a Sub-Zero hiding in an ice clone.

Sindel: 7-3 (possibly 6-4): Raiden's teleport and superman shut down most of sindel's zoning game. Sindel can punish Raidens tele on reaction with cartwheel. I don't have much high level experience with this matchup so these numbers might not be accurate, but sindel's levitate fireballs/levitate cancels seem like they can be used as a mind game with Raiden's tele/superman, allowing her some punishment opportunities. Sindel can interrupt B312 and 334 with D1xcartwheel.

Ermac: 6-4 (possible 5-5): I honestly haven't played an Ermac in awhile so I can't give any accurate numbers...but this could be a competitive matchup. Teleport is punished by his bnb 31 and 12 tele-slam combos on reaction, along with all pokes and F4.

Reptile: 5-5: Another competitive matchup for Raiden. Reptile's dash is fast enough to interrupt his B312 and 334 strings. Dash allows Reptile to escape some of Raiden's pressure situations and doubles as a really fast/efficient punisher for teleport. Tele can also be punished by slide, 32, and 122 strings...along with xray/pokes.

Kitana: 6-4: Raiden can en superman through kitana's instant air fans to get in her face and also use teleport. Teleport is punished by all pokes along with combos starting with 21. Raiden's B312 and 334 strings are interruptible by her D1. D1 cutter is punishable by a fast 121 shocker on reaction.

Johnny Cage: 5:5: A competitive matchup for Raiden. Cage has a counter for most of Raiden's options. Raiden can teleport out of most of Cage's frame traps, and en shocker some combo attempts, but Cage's F33 will destroy en shocker's armor before it comes out. Cage can ex shadow kick through Raidens projectile or check him while he's back dash blocking. On reaction cage can punish teleport with all pokes, B3 popup, 21F2, F3,3, flip kick, and shadow kick.

Jade: Not much Jade experience but going from what I've seen it's a 6-4 or 7-3 arguably.

Mileena: 5-5: Another competitive match for Raiden. D4 gives Raiden problems getting his offense started. Teleport is punished by pokes, roll combos, and tele kick on reaction. Raiden can punish her tele kick and roll with a juggle for about 30%.

[MENTION=4672]ZeroEffect[/MENTION] says: I can't imagine this being any less than a 6/4 for Raiden. There's just no way it's even. Mileena just can't catch him. Period. D4 won't cut it on it's own, and superman(EX superman) is always athreat to keep her from abusing it. Mileena has no armor and has horrid speed for normals. So poking Raiden out of strings doesn't benefit her like it would other characters.

Teleport is still tricky to handle when used correctly. And he escapes pressure with it so easily. Mileena has to be chasing him or waiting for a mistake. Never good for her. And lastly, he takes advantage of one of Mileena's biggest problems. Turtling. He can sit on a life lead and force her to take unsafe risks better than most of the cast.

Nightwolf: 6-4: Raiden easily escapes should charges with a teleport. Nightwolf has a hard time getting in and getting his pressure started. Teleport can be punished on reaction by all pokes, shoulder charge, F31, and 122 combos. Raiden escapes en lightning traps with teleport. Nightwolf can en shoulder charge to interrupt B312 and 334 strings.

Cyrax: 6-4: Raiden can teleport on reaction to a thrown net. Raiden's mobility gives cyrax problems getting him trapped in his resets. Teleport is punished by all pokes and 11,21,33 net combos on reaction.

Noob: 7-3: Very tough matchup for noob. Raiden escapes all shadows with teleport, and goes through shadow tackles with en superman. Noob punishes Raiden's teleport with all down pokes, shadow tackle, and his 212 string on reaction.

Smoke: 6-4: Superman and teleport beat smoke bombs. Raiden essentially has all of the tools to shut down Smoke's zoning game. Teleport is punished on reaction by all pokes and 21.

Sektor: 6-4: Raiden's teleport and en superman options beat most of sektor's zoning. Raiden's teleport is punished by all pokes, 12B1, B34, and B2 on reaction. Flamethrower can sometimes be used to punish if he tries jumping after tele, but it's easily blocked.

Sonya: 4-6: This is probably Raiden's worst matchup. Teleport is easily punished on reaction by an instant air dive kick into a full combo. Sonya essentially shuts down most of Raiden's pressuring options up close. Teleport is punished by all pokes, instant air dive kick combos, 114, and 21 combos on reaction. Sonya can D1 or en cartwheel to interrupt Raiden’s B312 and 334 strings.

Jax: 6-4: On reaction Raiden can absorb a dash punch with ex shocker and go into a 30% combo. Jax's D1 is good for anti airing Raiden if he tries crossing up with a jip. Teleport is punished by all pokes, dash punch, gotch grab, and F413 on reaction. Jax can en dash punch to interrupt Raiden’s B312 and 334 strings.

Kano: 5-5: A pretty competitive matchup for Raiden. Upball easily punishes teleport, and Kano's knives recover pretty fast. Raiden can punish a blocked upball with 121 shocker. Kano punishes teleport with all pokes, up ball, straight ball, choke, 212, and B112 on reaction.

Stryker: 6-4: (I don't have enough experience with this matchup post patch, but I'm going to say 6-4 since stryker got some good buffs/raiden got nerfs and and Raiden still gets past his zoning effectively.)

[MENTION=3713]Carefoot[/MENTION] says: Raiden vs Stryker 6-4

Strykers gunshot can stop a regular super man and while teleport can be used to punish gunshots it should be noted that gun can be canceled and with negative edge a near instant rolltoss can come out after his dash so I can see a mind game develop for the Stryker player at a higher level possibly with training this could be even but full screen armored superman and teleport negate Strykers entire corner game. Before the patch it was fairly easy to punish grenade toss with a teleport for a full combo but now it recovers faster so you'll need to make a read theres a grenade on route.

And while ex-superman can beast through Strykers zoning game for 12% damage a better investment of meter can be found in this matchup.

Strykers low back 3, 2 setup is punishiable by full combo or fast special and is unsafe on block. Strykers standing 4 is + on block, 11 is safe and back 2 into 1 forward is also + everything else is either neutral or punishable and his only safe specials are the rolltoss which he can be hit out of unless it was a wakeup or during the middle part of his ex-roll before hitting and during the roll and the ex-version of the sweep knockdown. The normal one is punishable by full combo.

Keeping out of the corner makes it so Stryker won't get any damage off a knockdown with untechable shenanigans like down back 4. Stryker has a great anti-air game that is fairly uncommon to come accross mastered (ie standing 4 into gunshot rolltoss is a rather uncommon thing to see online) but if so don't jump on him there are a lot of ways in against a Stryker player.

6-4 for everyone, 7-3 if you know Strykers punishable strings and 5-5 if the Stryker player knows the matchup and you just know that superman beasts on Stryker.

Hadouken is easily punishable by rolltoss and unless your opponent is an idiot hes going to be taking 12% of your life at a time everytime you do the non-ex version. The Ex version first hit wiffs and the 2nd hit hits Stryker out of part 2 of rolltoss so you both trade for 6% regardless if Stryker used meter or not to rolltoss you.

I played Stryker since day 0 of the game being out and only just recently picked up Raiden so I thought I'd show you that Stryker is a push over in this MU.

Shang Tsung: 7-3: Raiden has all of the tools to deal with shang tsung's fireball zoning game, and can escape his upskull traps and corner pressure with teleport. Shang punishes teleport with all pokes, 221, and F434 on reaction. En soul steal can interrupt Raiden’s B312 and 334 strings.

Baraka: 7-3: Pretty bad matchup for Baraka, has a hard time getting in on Raiden. Blade charge is easily avoided, and Raiden's tools dominate him for the most part. Teleport is punished by pokes, blade spin, slices, and blade charge on reaction.

[MENTION=3680]SomeCubanGuy[/MENTION] says: I personally don't find the Raiden matchup all that difficult. I could see why people would think its 6-4 in Raiden's favor, but not 7-3. EN Blade Rush goes through 334 and B312. Spin and F4 punishes Teleport, and D4 gives Raiden trouble as well. I agree he's a pain to get in on, but once Baraka can get in Raiden's got his hands full.

Kabal: 5-5: This is an extremely wild matchup. Raiden can teleport to get past iaf's, and en superman through them as well. On reaction kabal can do a ground saw just as Raiden is about to hit him to avoid taking the full damage, knocking Raiden back. From a distance Raiden can superman over the ground saw. A lot of Kabal's NDC shenanigans can be checked with ex shocker or teleported out of. Both characters have all of the tools to beat each other in the right situations. Raiden can bait tele punishes with the en version of the tele easily. Teleport is punished by all pokes, B4, F4, F32, and B121. En Nomad Dash can interrupt Raiden’s B312 and 334 strings.

Raiden: 5-5: This matchup is just fucking insane. Generally the idea is to teleport out of pressure and counter teleport your opponent's teleports. Controls get flipped to each side several times in this matchup. Raiden punishes his own tele with all pokes except D4, superman, 121, and 334 strings.

Cyber Sub: 5-5: I don't have a lot of experience with this matchup but Cyber Sub has all of the tools necessary to compete with Raiden. B312 and 334 strings can be interrupted with regular or enhanced parry, into a possible full combo. Dive kick and en dive kick is an excellent punish for teleport. Raiden's superman beats CSZ's parry in a trade. Teleport is punished by all pokes, 332, 34, slide, and instant air close dive kick on reaction.

Sheeva: 6-4 (Arguably 5-5): I believe Sheeva has the necessary tools to compete with Raiden. She punishes teleport on reaction with all pokes, 12B1, and 212F1 strings, along with the occasional ground stomp. Her up close game and frame traps can be very difficult for Raiden to escape. Raiden's B312 and 334 strings can be interrupted by an armored en command grab or her 6 frame D1. Raiden punishes telestomp on reaction with en shocker into a 30% combo. Raiden can also punish telestomp with a jump back 3 into superman or a 31% NJP combo.

[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says: I'll vote this fight as totally even. Neither one particularly benefits getting in the other's face and they both have good answers for the other's movesets.

Quan Chi: 6-4: Meter-intensive matchup. Raiden's main goal is to punish unsafe risks Quan Chi takes, properly defending against his 50/50's, and staying out of his offense at all costs. If Quan Chi has meter Raiden generally wants him to waste it on breaker to eliminate the threat of runetraps and en trance. Blocked trance is punished by a fast superman reaction from a distance. Raiden should generally save meter in this matchup for breaker in case he gets caught in 212 en rune traps. Quan chi can escape Raiden's B312 and 334 strings with his armored en sky drop, and punish teleport with his 7 frame uppercut, all pokes, and 112.

Skarlet:
[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says: IMO, 7-3 Raiden. Skarlet can't do anything in this fight. No zoning, no red dashing and on top of it she's one of the handful of characters whose normals are actually worse than Raiden's. She can punish the teleport with a 212~dagger cancel combo or react with her own teleport, but Raiden doesn't even need it in this fight unless she starts trying to throw knives for some stupid reason.

Kenshi:
[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says:I said somewhere a while back this was 6-4, but it's totally not. 5-5, all the way. Basically, whoever gets reckless first is going to get rolled. You might win the match-up in terms of being a dick, though. I'm pretty sure you can throw a lightning bolt from full screen to bait a reflect then teleport and punish it.

Rain:
[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says:I lack a lot of Rain experience, but this fight has every chance to turn out in Rain's favor. Raiden has bad answers for defensive play, and Rain is fucking great at waiting. And he also punishes teleports stupid easy for ungodly damage. Even if he misses the punishment window on a teleport, superroundhouse and the bursting penis kick will keep you in check after them.

[MENTION=204]B W1zZ[/MENTION]: I've played against a few good Rain's and I think it's a solid 5-5. Rain's geyser kick get Raiden off of him...he has a teleport, and it's difficult for Raiden to escape his pressure. He can also en roundhouse kick any jump in attempts into a full combo.

Freddy:
[MENTION=5554]Vilén[/MENTION] says: Gb2/Elm Street-0 in Raiden's favor. This shit is a massacre. Freddy can't move here. Zoning, obviously a bad idea. Dream Shift is raped by superman on reaction. Freddy cannot zone, trap or jump in this fight and that really sucks for him.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Woo, shoutouts from B W1zZ. I'mma start riding your coattails so hard. Haha

Anyway, admittedly, I don't have tournament experience with this game, but I do have access to a few quite competent players. In light of that, I'll avoid stating anything like fact here and just theorize/state personal observations on some things and everyone can agree/discuss with or ignore me at their leisure.

My opinions are in gay font.

B W1zZ aka The Wizard's Raiden Matchup Chart
Scorpion: 6-4

I think this has the potential to be closer to 5/5. Scorpion seems to have a strange sort of dominance here in neutral situations with Hellfire. You cannot react to that move, you have to read and get off the ground first, which puts you at risk for an AA spear into vortex. It's very hard to approach a Scorpion who's running away from you. I don't think this is really a fight where you can afford to lose a life lead.

Liu Kang: 6-4
Kung Lao: 5-5

Sub Zero: 6-4
Maybe more 5.5-4.5 Raiden? I think this fight is a little bit easier for Raiden because he can take more risks, but he certainly doesn't have any hard advantage over a Sub-Zero hiding in an ice clone.

Sindel: 7-3 / Jade: 7-3
This is so goddamn factual it has to physically hurt all four people who play these characters.

Ermac: 6-4
I agree with this. Also, it should be added that :r:bk punishes teleport. It's tight but you can do it. :r:bk/throw 50/50 is so good.

Reptile: 5-5
Kitana: 6-4
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Mileena: 5-5
Cyrax: 6-4
Noob: 7-3
Smoke: 6-4
Sektor: 6-4
Sonya: 4-6
Jax: 6-4
Kano: 5-5
Stryker: 6-4
Shang Tsung: 7-3
Baraka: 7-3
Kabal: 5-5
Raiden: 5-5
Cyber Sub Zero: 5-5

Sheeva: 6-4
I'll vote this fight as totally even. Neither one particularly benefits getting in the other's face and they both have good answers for the other's movesets.

Skarlet: n/a
IMO, 7-3 Raiden. Skarlet can't do anything in this fight. No zoning, no red dashing and on top of it she's one of the handful of characters whose normals are actually worse than Raiden's. She can punish the teleport with a :bp:fp:bp~dagger cancel combo or react with her own teleport, but Raiden doesn't even need it in this fight unless she starts trying to throw knives for some stupid reason.

Kenshi: n/a
I said somewhere a while back this was 6-4, but it's totally not. 5-5, all the way. Basically, whoever gets reckless first is going to get rolled. You might win the match-up in terms of being a dick, though. I'm pretty sure you can throw a lightning bolt from full screen to bait a reflect then teleport and punish it.

Rain: n/a
I lack a lot of Rain experience, but this fight has every chance to turn out in Rain's favor. Raiden has bad answers for defensive play, and Rain is fucking great at waiting. And he also punishes teleports stupid easy for ungodly damage. Even if he misses the punishment window on a teleport, superroundhouse and the bursting penis kick will keep you in check after them.

Freddy: n/a
Gb2/Elm Street-0 in Raiden's favor. This shit is a massacre. Freddy can't move here. Zoning, obviously a bad idea. Dream Shift is raped by superman on reaction. Freddy cannot zone, trap or jump in this fight and that really sucks for him.
So, if I were to make a blanket statement, just to quickly cover all of Raiden's match-ups, it would probably sound something like "Anyone who relies on zoning or trapping/has bad answers for teleport = fucked. Anyone who can actually hang back and play a stable, conservative ground game will either go even with him or find it in their favor." barring any potential weird idiosyncrasies.

Mileena: 5-5: Another competitive match for Raiden. D4 gives Raiden problems getting his offense started. Teleport is punished by pokes, roll combos, and tele kick on reaction. Raiden can punish her tele kick with a juggle combo for about 30%.
I can't imagine this being any less than a 6/4 for Raiden. There's just no way it's even. Mileena just can't catch him. Period. D4 won't cut it on it's own, and superman(EX superman) is always athreat to keep her from abusing it. Mileena has no armor and has horrid speed for normals. So poking Raiden out of strings doesn't benefit her like it would other characters.

Teleport is still tricky to handle when used correctly. And he escapes pressure with it so easily. Mileena has to be chasing him or waiting for a mistake. Never good for her. And lastly, he takes advantage of one of Mileena's biggest problems. Turtling. He can sit on a life lead and force her to take unsafe risks better than most of the cast.

SZSR

Noob
I agree with the Rain matchup, while i'm not a Rain pro yet (or any character pro for that matter) I have so much more ease controlling the pace of the match with Rain than any other character I currently use (Sub-zero, Smoke, Cage and Rain), which I find weird as the Cage match-up was actually my go-to counter pick for people picking Raiden against my Smoke.

B W1zZ

Noob
I can't imagine this being any less than a 6/4 for Raiden. There's just no way it's even. Mileena just can't catch him. Period. D4 won't cut it on it's own, and superman(EX superman) is always athreat to keep her from abusing it. Mileena has no armor and has horrid speed for normals. So poking Raiden out of strings doesn't benefit her like it would other characters.

You could be right, but I need to see some other people's mileena matchup charts. Mileena CAN catch him though. Tele kick beats teleport assuming they are done at the same time, and the stun off of it gives her the opportunity to get in. D4 is a bitch for raiden because of the hitbox...up close I've seen her do D4 while he tries to superman and raiden ends up getting stuck right above her, without the superman connecting. Mileena does have to take a lot of risks in this match up if Raiden is playing defensively, but if he is playing over defensively she can opt to do a jump in punch into a mixup or throw etc...she can also make her en tele kick (not sure about the regular one) safe with her air sai so she doesn't get juggled. I chose not to use decimals in the chart, but at this point I think it's arguable between 5-5 and 6-4.

I definitely agree with the no decimals thing. I only used them because all the other matchup charts do.

The telekick thing is true, but only if timed at a specific time. Otherwise she goes forward and he goes behind her. D4 is great up close, it's just that it's more annoying than practical. She can't really reaction roll punish teleport either, unless it was baited. I tend to not go into things like baiting when discussing matchups though, because I feel like that's more about the player than character.

EN telekick is never safe, you just crouch block so the air sai goes over your head, and use d1 into special... (maybe d1 into superman or d1 into shock grab? I dunno) but even if you can only get an uppercut, it's better than nothing.

If you're still waiting on other people than that's cool. It's your call. I just think Raiden is her very worst matchup overall (besides mirrors, heh).

Raiman

Noob
not to diss the idea of the tournament community matchup chart because it is a really good idea, but i keep seeing different tournament players post different matchups for there characters. for example, bwizz says raiden is a 6-4 against mileena, but a mileena tournament player says its a 7-3 for raiden. so witch one will be in the final chart? 7 or 6. also one baraka tournament player says raiden is a 7-3 while the other baraka tournament player says its a 5-5.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
not to diss the idea of the tournament community matchup chart because it is a really good idea, but i keep seeing different tournament players post different matchups for there characters. for example, bwizz says raiden is a 6-4 against mileena, but a mileena tournament player says its a 7-3 for raiden. so witch one will be in the final chart? 7 or 3. also one baraka tournament player says raiden is a 7-3 while the other baraka tournament player says its a 5-5.
The thing is everyone wants to know all of the information and even some of the most knowledgeable people wont get everything exactly right. Look at REO's Kabal match up chart, there is a lot of incorrect information on there but he is basing it off of what he feels at the time. If I made a match up chart and I wasn't sure about specific characters I would probably leave it blank or admit that I'm not to sure but explain my theory about how it works out.

I do think Baraka is probably closer to 6-4 than 7-3, his options up close are pretty good. But I'm just not entirely sure, so like most people its just another opinion that probably means nothing.

B W1zZ

Noob
not to diss the idea of the tournament community matchup chart because it is a really good idea, but i keep seeing different tournament players post different matchups for there characters. for example, bwizz says raiden is a 6-4 against mileena, but a mileena tournament player says its a 7-3 for raiden. so witch one will be in the final chart? 7 or 6. also one baraka tournament player says raiden is a 7-3 while the other baraka tournament player says its a 5-5.
Baraka could very well be better than a 7-3 against Raiden post patch, but I haven't really fought many barakas that actually gave my Raiden much trouble. I'd say at best it's a 6-4. I chose not to use decimals.

Not all of the numbers are 100% set in stone, they are mainly based off of my own experiences against the respective characters.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Raiden vs Stryker 6-4

Strykers gunshot can stop a regular super man and while teleport can be used to punish gunshots it should be noted that gun can be canceled and with negative edge a near instant rolltoss can come out after his dash so I can see a mind game develop for the Stryker player at a higher level possibly with training this could be even but full screen armored superman and teleport negate Strykers entire corner game. Before the patch it was fairly easy to punish grenade toss with a teleport for a full combo but now it recovers faster so you'll need to make a read theres a grenade on route.

And while ex-superman can beast through Strykers zoning game for 12% damage a better investment of meter can be found in this matchup.

Strykers low back 3, 2 setup is punishiable by full combo or fast special and is unsafe on block. Strykers standing 4 is + on block, 11 is safe and back 2 into 1 forward is also + everything else is either neutral or punishable and his only safe specials are the rolltoss which he can be hit out of unless it was a wakeup or during the middle part of his ex-roll before hitting and during the roll and the ex-version of the sweep knockdown. The normal one is punishable by full combo.

Keeping out of the corner makes it so Stryker won't get any damage off a knockdown with untechable shenanigans like down back 4. Stryker has a great anti-air game that is fairly uncommon to come accross mastered (ie standing 4 into gunshot rolltoss is a rather uncommon thing to see online) but if so don't jump on him there are a lot of ways in against a Stryker player.

6-4 for everyone, 7-3 if you know Strykers punishable strings and 5-5 if the Stryker player knows the matchup and you just know that superman beasts on Stryker.

Hadouken is easily punishable by rolltoss and unless your opponent is an idiot hes going to be taking 12% of your life at a time everytime you do the non-ex version. The Ex version first hit wiffs and the 2nd hit hits Stryker out of part 2 of rolltoss so you both trade for 6% regardless if Stryker used meter or not to rolltoss you.

I played Stryker since day 0 of the game being out and only just recently picked up Raiden so I thought I'd show you that Stryker is a push over in this MU.

i personally think liu kang could a 5-5 (due to his serious advantage (in terms of frames) up close, but then i think of raidens ability to get jump punches in the matchup, and control space, it all depends on kangs ability to punish tp and counter jips or jiks. one disadvantage for kang with be that back312 has bad cooldown when stopped in the middle.

as far as reptiles goes: i think it could be 4-6(giving raiden 2 bad matchups) he, along with lao and sonya has the easiest options for reacting to teleport, raiden and reptile are similar in that they have relatively slow normals (reptiles being a bit more clunky and raiden having 1212, which has duckability, bad recovery, but perfect for canceling into tele), raiden has better options for mixing up in the matchup, the recovery of back 3, his pokes combined with the occasionaly quick teleport (at varying times within strings) allow him options for frame traps and oki and opens up for grabs. Raiden has too rush down effectively and lock down effectively and make the most of his opportunities when aggressing, but heloses the ability to use vicinity blast on block which is his only decent option in terms of frame advantage and really enhances his corner game.

My opinion for reptiles advantage: forceballs are relatively safe because of their lack of cooldown after release, especiialy ex forceball when pressuring wake0up, u can't even en superman through it(or its a block punish), and the forceballs guard reptile so that he can space control and punish freely with elbow dash(barring meter expenditure which should only be used very selectively due to cost-beneficiality), allowing him to poke and prod and attempt to take advantage of raidens slow and somewhat risky anti-air options. Raiden (or atleast iny my case, but i have to get more used to 121 to react to it) has to have predicted the elbow dash and seen it in order to punish quickly, back 3 is often too slow, and 334 occasionally misses do to pushback, leading to an elbow dash. Reptile controls the space for the most part in the matchup, perhaps the only character who neutralizes raidens ability to do this. He also dominates the wakeup game with en forceball, elbow dash as an escape and down 4, raiden's has to teleport selectively. Down 4 also provides seriously problems, its good aa against raiden and also beats raidens pokes, acid hand also put reptile at good space where hes always a threat to dash. Raiden horizontally has to play extremely well, and either bait the dash well, or space his strings out perfectly so that he doesnt get whiff punished, his jump ins have to land or hell also get punished. Personally i go for a lot of down 3 and jump in kicks in this matchup because of down 4.

Both characters are about space control, and reptile wins that and the wakeup game, and doesnt lose to severely in terms of mixup potential. Also raiden has too focus too much on anti-airing when also getting outpoked.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
i personally think liu kang could a 5-5 (due to his serious advantage (in terms of frames) up close, but then i think of raidens ability to get jump punches in the matchup, and control space, it all depends on kangs ability to punish tp and counter jips or jiks. one disadvantage for kang with be that back312 has bad cooldown when stopped in the middle.

as far as reptiles goes: i think it could be 4-6(giving raiden 2 bad matchups) he, along with lao and sonya has the easiest options for reacting to teleport, raiden and reptile are similar in that they have relatively slow normals (reptiles being a bit more clunky and raiden having 1212, which has duckability, bad recovery, but perfect for canceling into tele), raiden has better options for mixing up in the matchup, the recovery of back 3, his pokes combined with the occasionaly quick teleport (at varying times within strings) allow him options for frame traps and oki and opens up for grabs. Raiden has too rush down effectively and lock down effectively and make the most of his opportunities when aggressing, but heloses the ability to use vicinity blast on block which is his only decent option in terms of frame advantage and really enhances his corner game.

My opinion for reptiles advantage: forceballs are relatively safe because of their lack of cooldown after release, especiialy ex forceball when pressuring wake0up, u can't even en superman through it(or its a block punish), and the forceballs guard reptile so that he can space control and punish freely with elbow dash(barring meter expenditure which should only be used very selectively due to cost-beneficiality), allowing him to poke and prod and attempt to take advantage of raidens slow and somewhat risky anti-air options. Raiden (or atleast iny my case, but i have to get more used to 121 to react to it) has to have predicted the elbow dash and seen it in order to punish quickly, back 3 is often too slow, and 334 occasionally misses do to pushback, leading to an elbow dash. Reptile controls the space for the most part in the matchup, perhaps the only character who neutralizes raidens ability to do this. He also dominates the wakeup game with en forceball, elbow dash as an escape and down 4, raiden's has to teleport selectively. Down 4 also provides seriously problems, its good aa against raiden and also beats raidens pokes, acid hand also put reptile at good space where hes always a threat to dash. Raiden horizontally has to play extremely well, and either bait the dash well, or space his strings out perfectly so that he doesnt get whiff punished, his jump ins have to land or hell also get punished. Personally i go for a lot of down 3 and jump in kicks in this matchup because of down 4.

Both characters are about space control, and reptile wins that and the wakeup game, and doesnt lose to severely in terms of mixup potential. Also raiden has too focus too much on anti-airing when also getting outpoked.
The shitty thing about the Liu Kang matchup isn't that his pressure relies on frames, it's based on whether or not he'll finish strings. Raiden can teleport out of a frametrap all day errday, but you can't teleport out of a fractured string if he decides to finish it. You'll get launched or something similarly awful.

I agree with your Reptile assessment. Fuck Reptile.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I found some new tech that gives Raiden probably a 7-3/8-2 match-up with everyone and it's super easy stuff.

But this is Mortal Kombat so I won't share.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The thing is everyone wants to know all of the information and even some of the most knowledgeable people wont get everything exactly right. Look at REO's Kabal match up chart, there is a lot of incorrect information on there but he is basing it off of what he feels at the time. If I made a match up chart and I wasn't sure about specific characters I would probably leave it blank or admit that I'm not to sure but explain my theory about how it works out.

I do think Baraka is probably closer to 6-4 than 7-3, his options up close are pretty good. But I'm just not entirely sure, so like most people its just another opinion that probably means nothing.
Baraka is 4-6 against Raiden pretty much. Teleport can be punished by spin, EX blade charge can get Baraka in close etc. It is still a very aggravating fight, and Raiden has a lot more tools, but Baraka has a decent chance against Raiden.

But yeah SomeCubanGuy summed it up best, as usualXD

raiden players, the problem is that you do not properly use F+24. right now raiden players use 334 and B+312 WAY more then F+24. this is wrong, F+24 is one of the best moves in the game, try using it as such and see what happens in his match ups.

WaweR

Noob
raiden players, the problem is that you do not properly use F+24. right now raiden players use 334 and B+312 WAY more then F+24. this is wrong, F+24 is one of the best moves in the game, try using it as such and see what happens.

Soo? How to use it properly ? I'd like to learn with pleasure. No sarcasm.