What's new

Tech B+1,2 set ups and knock down pressure

Before I get into the specifics of the thread I just want to ask: Why is Reptile's elbow dash feared so much?

The answer:(other than the obvious 6 frame start up and what not) Because it causes knocks the opponent down in sliding recovery allowing for pressure game and setups on wake up.

As such, Kitana's B+1,2 deliveres the same kind of situation to an opponent that has been hit with the second hit in the string. Why do we use this string? The reasons that I use it anyway is to go ahead and keep my opponent honest with 3 legit high, low, and overhead mixups either when the b+1 is blocked on the ground or when I land a jip and want to close out the battle with that brutal 3 way guessing game. However, upon further experimentation with this as a combo ender I've found that using this string's second hit knockdown really leads into some interesting oki set ups. Among them is that if you dash block forwards twice and do a cutter, you will wind up on the opposite side of your opponent as they are getting off of the ground, and if you do it quick enough, you will be at a neutral to continue your pressure.

For starters, try this, F+2,1/B+2, Fan toss/Fan toss(do this fan toss so that the second fan only hits the airborne opponent)/ B+1,2 (35%). then be creative on whatever knock down set ups you can do. You can do this after most bnbs as long as you judge the gravity right. In spite of not getting as much of the combo as we usually do, I'm pretty sure that everyone will take 35% and a free mixup at this stage of the game. I've also found that on most characters, after the knock down, I can Dash block twice, jump over punch, and it will stuff most of their wake up moves when executed as they get off of the ground!(a lot of Enhanced moves don't apply as getting stuffed.)

Another fun thing to note is that when you have your opponent being shredded in the air by a fan and you miss your B+1 timing by way of a whiff or just the B+1 connects, don't despair. If the B+1 whiffs, then chances are that you will be placed behind your opponent in case you moved closer than you meant to. Things like this can actually set up even more opporitunities for your pressure game since you now don't have to track your opponent down again, leading to a decent oki pressure situation where you opponent has to guess whether or not you are behind them or in front of them on wake up if that B+1 doesn't connect. Using this has proven very effective thus far as I used this on both RiBBz22 and @Wound Cowboy and it turned out nicely. (GGS and much respect to both of the mentioned players and We'll play more later).

Whether you use this new tech or not is clearly up to you but I strongly suggest you play with it and see how you like it. Personally, I feel that the sacrifice of damage in some cases is worth it for that extra mix up to keep your opponent guessing. Just another way to respect the Pretty Princess :)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I honestly love fighting against Kitana players because for some reason I feel like everyone plays such different styles and it is just fun to adjust to them I guess. I went for months without playing one, and then I play Runwaymafia, Birdsongs, Espio, BillStickers, and StarCharger in the same week or so. Look forward to more games with all of you.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Very nice piece of work here.

Personally I'd only go for this set-up if I don't have health advantage...if I do, I would just end the combo with Fan Cutter and zone 'em out. Kitana's b1 2 string is very underused and deserves a purpose besides just acting as an overhead attack.

Very nice piece of work here.

Personally I'd only go for this set-up if I don't have health advantage...if I do, I would just end the combo with Fan Cutter and zone 'em out. Kitana's b1 2 string is very underused and deserves a purpose besides just acting as an overhead attack.
Of course. The main idea of it is to go for it say in mid battle when you are working on an advantage or if you are coming back from possibly a 20-30% disadvantage since the mixup, if done with the combo outlined above, does 35% minimum with the combo alone. However, this can be done from most airborne combos if the gravity isn't too heavy. i.e. the opponent hasn't been hit too many times in the combo.

Reptiles dash is so feared because I can't fucking see it, punish it, and it freezes the fucking game online!!!! Reptile player are ALL fucking free offline. Just needed to say that, I'll go back to reading the post now.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Srarcharger makes a good point. I for one LOVE B12...especially when Im walking backwards and the opponent is mad dashing like a maniac towards me. Also, whiff punishing with b1 into lift is just pure swag.

dude b1,2 had godlike setups. i've been toying with this string and 112 a lot recently.
btw, have you seen the range on this string? it's freaken 3/4 screen! that's more than f21