What's new

Guide Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos -- Raven General Discussion Thread

found out something. raven cant zone everyone, in some matchups its better to stay in. one method to do so is using f2233 instead of f22~df2 as combo ender. it allows continuing pressure, even though it says its -2 on hit what i dont believe.

Haven't been playing Raven much, mainly because I am trying to get down fundamentals of this game first. Raven has really sick fundamentals and if you don't know how the game works it will be annoying to play her.

First thing I notice that her D2 is really fast, it even goes through some projectiles. It's a good tool but I just wonder how well it works against certain moves.

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
so what exactly is raven's playstyle? she's not a rushdown character and her keep away options don't stand up well to characters like deathstroke sinestro and green lantern so what is the key?

zaf

professor
found out something. raven cant zone everyone, in some matchups its better to stay in. one method to do so is using f2233 instead of f22~df2 as combo ender. it allows continuing pressure, even though it says its -2 on hit what i dont believe.
you are on the right track, but there is a 10000% times better combo ender.
im making a video will be up tomorrow.

so what exactly is raven's playstyle? she's not a rushdown character and her keep away options don't stand up well to characters like deathstroke sinestro and green lantern so what is the key?
shes mixed, depending on the matchup. she zones rushdowners and rushes down zoners.

yup it was mentioned in another thread tonight.

end combos with a f22u1 and it allows for free cross ups. Some wake ups will work but time them right and you cross up and fuck up their inputs.

ill ahve the video out tomorrow
i tried it online and seems not that good. its not a guaranteed crossup, if they start walkin back immediately it hits them from the front plus they can dash out on wakeup. correct me if im wrong but to me f2233 still seems better, its better oki and more damage.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Gotta say, my worst match up with her is against Deathstroke. He makes it really hard to do much.
I'm pretty sure Raven is one of Deathstroke's worst matchups. Practice absorbing/reflecting his bullets (she can do it with both his low and high shots, even though I'm pretty sure the movelist says it only does high), and/or duck his high bullets and counter with a Soul Crush, assuming you're not at fullscreen. You can MB the Soul Crush to start a combo if you're close enough, too. Works on all the Deathstroke scrubs.

EDIT: Also, if you're in Demon Stance you can make her bigass pillar thingy go fullscreen by holding up after inputting it. That's not in the movelist for some reason, though.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
I'm pretty sure Raven is one of Deathstroke's worst matchups. Practice absorbing/reflecting his bullets (she can do it with both his low and high shots, even though I'm pretty sure the movelist says it only does high), and/or duck his high bullets and counter with a Soul Crush, assuming you're not at fullscreen. You can MB the Soul Crush to start a combo if you're close enough, too. Works on all the Deathstroke scrubs.

EDIT: Also, if you're in Demon Stance you can make her bigass pillar thingy go fullscreen by holding up after inputting it. That's not in the movelist for some reason, though.

Wait really her pillars really go full screen?? I'm gona get back on and try that because I've been sick of only have the stupid pull for full screen shenanigans in demon stance.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol wtf? The pillars go fullscreen? why is that shit not in the movelist? WE GOT FULLSCREEN PILLARS SON! We gonna make Dormammu wish he's as awesome as Raven.

After playing around with her more and getting used to her awkward strings, I like her, I think I'll stick with her. Also, I have to learn her spacing right for B12, B23, F1, B2 for I guess harassing so it looks fluid.

I also want to know the significance of being +3 on block, after that she can follow up with a D1 correct or anything else, but probably can be interrupted.

Also, are my reactions just shitty, but I find it extremely difficult to confirm a B12 into Singularity and the spacing has to be on point or it'll whiff at the slightest movement. Lol.

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
online i seem to do better with raven when i stay as close as possible to them and act aggressive.....more often than not the grabs take them by surprise a few times

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
I've had the most luck w/ singularity, but it's pretty unreliable. I prefer to either wake up grab if I think I can get em or just punish off of block

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
I've had the most luck w/ singularity, but it's pretty unreliable. I prefer to either wake up grab if I think I can get em or just punish off of block
I need to know which special has the most invincibility frames because I got out of Ares reset a couple time and I'm hoping it was because of the wake up not the guy messing up the reset (more likely). Doing a grab like that sounds like an awful idea on knockdown. If you did that when I knocked you down you'll eat a combo. If I get knocked down I block or use push block.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
It's mostly for mix up. If they're waiting for you to do a wake up, then you can catch them w/ it quickly. Not to get out of constant pressure, no. Her wake up shit sucks tbh, singularity/soul crush have some, but not on start up. the active frames are weird and I have had probably about 25% of wake ups just straight stuffed from regular pressure. Could be mis-input, like MK9 need specific timing based on knock down, but her options are kind of ass.

Whenever I play Raven DS is a free win for me. Even if I trade as long as I get a knockdown he's done. He spams sword spin, good just crouch block it and either toss him or get a free combo.

I have issues hitting combo in lag, but Raven has such good normal and special moves that it doesn't matter. I do notice lately when I pick Raven I get a lot of downbackers who are scared to move. It's good but I suck at taking advantage of this at the moment. Need to get them combos down in lag.