What's new

Guide Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos -- Raven General Discussion Thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Depends what she means

Is she means that Raven is more footsie oriented than zoning oriented, I could kinnnnnnnddd of see what he is saying(her zoning adds ot the footsie aspect IMO).

But if she is claiming Raven is rushdown then you should ban her or something lol
Raven can't zone at all guys. She's just not a zoner because our lord and savior testyourpatience said so. She's just a counter zoner. Can't zone at all with that -19 special. Time to main zod and nightwing.

Ok guys time to pack it up. According to testyourpatience Raven isn't a zoner at all. I guess we've all been living a lie.

Zoidberg747
Jackal904
Sami
AK Glass_Sword
Owerbart
Rondell Allard
Yeah she's a terrible zoner with that 13 frame 3/4 screen mid-hitting grab, fullscreen frame traps, ground+air teleport, and a trait that allows for safe full combos from anywhere on the screen if the opponent even thinks about not blocking. People can practically dance around her!

Blind_Ducky

Yeah she's a terrible zoner with that 13 frame 3/4 screen mid-hitting grab, fullscreen frame traps, ground+air teleport, and a trait that allows for safe full combos from anywhere on the screen if the opponent even thinks about not blocking. People can practically dance around her!
Naw man soul crush is -19 so it sucks and just fuck all those other tools they don't matter because testyourpatience said so. She can't zone at all.

Sami

Noob
Of course Raven is a rush-down character: she has an advancing teleport which gives a left/right mix-up as you can choose which side you appear on, overhead/low mix-up from f3 and b1, and a fast walk speed to get in on the opponent quickly.

On a serious note, Raven is a zoner in the truest sense of the word, i.e. there is a set range she puts you at and aims to keep it and punishes you for trying to escape it (1/2-2/3 screen away). She is not a pure keep-away character, which people often mistake as being the only form of zoning.

The one form of zoning Raven we don't see too much of is Singularity zoning, i.e. sitting on the max range of that move and punishing people who try to advance closer. Doesn't work on all of the cast, but should be your go-to mode of play if somebody advances past SC/projectile/pillar "safe" zoning range until you either get them in a combo and reset the distance or force them to remain still so you can back off.

On a serious note, Raven is a zoner in the truest sense of the word, i.e. there is a set range she puts you at and aims to keep it and punishes you for trying to escape it (1/2-2/3 screen away). She is not a pure keep-away character, which people often mistake as being the only form of zoning.

The one form of zoning Raven we don't see to much of is Singularity zoning, i.e. sitting on the max range of that move and punishing people who try to advance closer. Doesn't work on all of the cast, but should be your go-to mode of play if somebody advanced past SC/projectile/pillar "safe" zoning range until you either get them in a combo and reset the distance or force them to remain still so you can back off.

I cannot agree with this enough. People think that just because she doesn't have pew pew zoning she can't zone. Her zoning is all about fullscreen frame traps and (often full combo) punishing any mistakes made by the opponent almost anywhere on the screen, and I love it that way. It's far more interesting and rewarding than simply tossing out projectiles. And if they think they can just sit back and turtle then thanks for the free 20% chip and shit tons of meter. Plus, even though she doesn't have 50/50s, she's not bad up-close especially once you know how to use Singularity.

And about Singularity zoning, hell. fucking. yes. I completely agree that it is a crucial part of Raven's zoning and is often overlooked. Singularity is so underrated. It's got a pretty damn good hitbox for a move that's -8 on block and juggles. It's also not a terrible AA for jump reads. It's safe outside of pokes and jabs which is where it shines. It's great for catching people pressing buttons, punishing whiffs, and its also great for leading into a potential punish when the opponent thinks they're free to do whatever they want after blocking singularity.

Owerbart

I miss you
Ok guys time to pack it up. According to testyourpatience Raven isn't a zoner at all. I guess we've all been living a lie.

Zoidberg747
Jackal904
Sami
AK Glass_Sword
Owerbart
Rondell Allard
Who is test your patience? Raven is zoning/spacing character pretty much. Soul crush and pillars are tools meant for zoning, as well as Shadow crow. Most of the time Raven wants to be fullscreen where she functions best.

It would be nice if this testyourpatince guy shows up and shuts our mouths by showing us some revolutionary tech for her pressure game, though

Blind_Ducky

Who is test your patience? Raven is zoning/spacing character pretty much. Soul crush and pillars are tools meant for zoning, as well as Shadow crow. Most of the time Raven wants to be fullscreen where she functions best.

It would be nice if this testyourpatince guy shows up and shuts our mouths by showing us some revolutionary tech for her pressure game, though
testyourpatience is to good for us to show us why we have been wrong about Raven for 7 months. He knows what's up and were all frauds.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I cannot agree with this enough. People think that just because she doesn't have pew pew zoning she can't zone. Her zoning is all about fullscreen frame traps and (often full combo) punishing any mistakes made by the opponent almost anywhere on the screen, and I love it that way. It's far more interesting and rewarding than simply tossing out projectiles. And if they think they can just sit back and turtle then thanks for the free 20% chip and shit tons of meter. Plus, even though she doesn't have 50/50s, she's not bad up-close especially once you know how to use Singularity.

And about Singularity zoning, hell. fucking. yes. I completely agree that it is a crucial part of Raven's zoning and is often overlooked. Singularity is so underrated. It's got a pretty damn good hitbox for a move that's -8 on block and juggles. It's also not a terrible AA for jump reads. It's safe outside of pokes and jabs which is where it shines. It's great for catching people pressing buttons, punishing whiffs, and its also great for leading into a potential punish when the opponent thinks they're free to do whatever they want after blocking singularity.
I will often throw out singularity, get it blocked, then throw out another one to catch them advancing. It works a good 60% of the time.