What's new

Tech Axe of Terror: Cross-Up Tech?

Either practice mode is bugged or Axe of Terror does some weird stuff if you perform it directly above an opponent's head.

My apologies for the video quality bugging out for the first few seconds. Oh, and there's no sound.

What do you guys think, though? Tech or just training mode being dumb?

My theory for the AI "spinning" is that, since Axe of Terror makes Sinestro hover in place, you can place him right over where the game determines left from right. This explanation is all I can think of for the AI switching from right to left rapidly in an attempt to determine which way is actually back. I have no idea yet if that is applicable against a human opponent or not.

EDIT: AI spinning is only possibly on characters that "float" while standing.
Superman, Raven, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Sinestro, and Black Adam are spinnable.

Whether a glitch or bug I'm going to try and put this to use. Especially with trait you can get a pretty damaging wall bounce combo from it. Thanks for the post.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
It appears that you are just jumping over his head to reverse his wake up attack and the axe is catching them. I don't believe the axe itself has anything to with the reversal. Nice find.

How often are you able to get this to hit?
Getting the AI to spin? It takes awhile and I still have no idea what it means or if it's applicable to human players. Also, it's character specific in terms of timing for things to "reverse" and to get a spin. You have to seriously be right on a specific spot to get a spin. Having the AI back away from you after an Axe of Terror means you fired it too early. Having the AI back into you means you did it too late. That's the best I can tell you, man.
Getting a wake-up to go the wrong way is very easy, though the timing is different for each character (and occasionally the wake-up). This seems to be based on doing Axe of Terror right on top of where the game decides left/right. This is all just theorycrafting, though.

It appears that you are just jumping over his head to reverse his wake up attack and the axe is catching them. I don't believe the axe itself has anything to with the reversal. Nice find.
Thanks, Crane! I'm still getting used to what is possibly Sinestro-specific and what is just part of the game engine. It just looks so odd to see Sinestro and the opponent facing the same direction.
The AI switching between left and right is still a mystery. I was thinking it had something to do with Sinestro hovering directly over where the game decides left/right (Since I think Axe of Terror is the only move that enables stationary hovering like that). Like I said above, I have no idea if it has any application to human players. I still need to really test that.

Also, if this Axe of Terror stuff is applicable, it can make waking up against Sinestro jump-ins a very unlikely option for some characters. If they're crouching to respect the Axe of Terror, then you can do whatever you want. Be sure to test Axe of Terror against various wake-ups. It beats a lot things clean. If you're having troubles, alter your timing. It's also, from what I can tell, safe on block and you can cancel into it from a blocked or hitting cross-up J3. Sinestro suddenly seems scary to have jumping around you.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Totally. I have a 27% combo from the axe of terror stuffing the opponents wake up. Joker has no wake up attack that can stop this. He is forced to block it. Have to go through the rest of the cast to see who else will fall prey to this dirty dirty tactic.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Oh oh)some signs of brokenness in our yellow guy, It would really be fun if guys like Pig jumped immediately after release to characters like Deathstroke but Sinestro would end up broken as hell)))
ive never stopped playing him

I have some good stuff w him to show soon

Ill make a good video

Pig Of The Hut

Totally. I have a 27% combo from the axe of terror stuffing the opponents wake up. Joker has no wake up attack that can stop this. He is forced to block it. Have to go through the rest of the cast to see who else will fall prey to this dirty dirty tactic.
ji3 (cross up) axe 11 shackles b3 ji2 b213

Pig Of The Hut

Either practice mode is bugged or Axe of Terror does some weird stuff if you perform it directly above an opponent's head.

My apologies for the video quality bugging out for the first few seconds. Oh, and there's no sound.

What do you guys think, though? Tech or just training mode being dumb?

My theory for the AI "spinning" is that, since Axe of Terror makes Sinestro hover in place, you can place him right over where the game determines left from right. This explanation is all I can think of for the AI switching from right to left rapidly in an attempt to determine which way is actually back. I have no idea yet if that is applicable against a human opponent or not.
really cool find

lets play w this more

I agree pig and I have also found that combo that you mentioned. Sometimes I have trouble canceling the ji3 cross up into the axe. Just gotta make it muscle memory. Just out of curiosity if j3 crosses up too low on the hitbox of the opponent will axe of terror fail to come out? I could easily be the only one having this problem and just need to work on consistency and range.

really cool find

lets play w this more

The AI spinning seems to now have something to do with how the character "stands". I easily got spins off of all the characters in the cast that hover (their feet don't touch the ground while standing still and moving)
Superman, Wonder Woman, Raven, Green Lantern, Sinestro, and Black Adam are spinnable.
I have yet to get a spin on a character that stands and moves with their feet touching the ground. This could point to hitboxes being detected slightly differently on characters that hover. It could be because the character has to orient themselves off of the ground sometime during their standing frames or something. I have yet to be able to test if a spin is possible on a standing opponent.
Again, whether this tech is applicable in a match or not, it reveals tiny bits of information about how the game works.

Wake-ups can be forced to go the wrong way on the entire cast, though.

This is clearly a bug. Unfortunately (though game balance is important), there's no self respecting studio of developers that will allow this.

Komatose

The Prettiest
A glitch? Lol Is it game altering? No. It's a legit part of the game. Nor is it cheating or breaking anything. If Sinestro is as bad as people make him out to be, I can finally say this for the first time ever in a serious manor: He needs it.

A glitch? yes.
Is it game altering? Doesn't seem to be, but it might be. People keep saying that we don't know enough about the game.
Is it legit? Only the devs know. If it isn't, it shouldn't be there. Glitches shouldn't be in any game, full stop.
Does he need it? Well he needs something, preferrably something that isn't the result of some weird glitch in the matrix.

He definitely needs something, but it needs to be the right thing. Not just more zoning. There's enough zoning in the game already and it exists too far from the regular game. Both stykles should be more integrated, not just 'i can sit in the corner and spam'.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Jhcrane UT pride! Also would you mind uploading that combo or giving the notations?
Ok, well there is really two you need to learn. After d3.....(jump over opponents head j3-hit confirm, not linked-axe of terror-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 35%) This combo you use on characters with big hit boxes like lex. You can land this on all characters even with low hit box but it is not always consistent. Then there are characters like doomsday and grundy who can completely stop this with a wake up attack. Also be careful with characters who have a parry like batman and killer frost.

In these situations use this combo. After d3.....(jump over opponents head, as soon as you cross over them in the air-axe of terror-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 27%) Use this against the characters who can punish your cross over j3 and against low hit box characters like catwoman and the flash.

GO VOLS!!!!!!

A glitch? yes.
Is it game altering? Doesn't seem to be, but it might be. People keep saying that we don't know enough about the game.
Is it legit? Only the devs know. If it isn't, it shouldn't be there. Glitches shouldn't be in any game, full stop.
Does he need it? Well he needs something, preferrably something that isn't the result of some weird glitch in the matrix.

He definitely needs something, but it needs to be the right thing. Not just more zoning. There's enough zoning in the game already and it exists too far from the regular game. Both stykles should be more integrated, not just 'i can sit in the corner and spam'.
He needs at least one more safe melee option. I also feel like Final Shackles should hit low. Anyways, I agree with you fully. If this Axe of Terror stuff isn't meant to be in the game, it should be removed. At the same time, Sinestro does need some tweaks to take him in a more positive direction.

Pig Of The Hut

Dude I hope you do, he definitely needs strong representation.
Ill be at atlanta Battle and Brew w Sinestro representing May 2nd this thursday 7:30pm est -1am est

and i plan to be playing at 1am w sinestro
:)

twitch.tv/funkyp

Ok, well there is really two you need to learn. After d3.....(jump over opponents head j3-hit confirm, not linked-axe of terror-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 35%) This combo you use on characters with big hit boxes like lex. You can land this on all characters even with low hit box but it is not always consistent. Then there are characters like doomsday and grundy who can completely stop this with a wake up attack. Also be careful with characters who have a parry like batman and killer frost.

In these situations use this combo. After d3.....(jump over opponents head, as soon as you cross over them in the air-axe of terror-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 27%) Use this against the characters who can punish your cross over j3 and against low hit box characters like catwoman and the flash.

GO VOLS!!!!!!
post this in combo thread as well

Also what do you think about Tyler Bree ...lol man what a bad decision