What's new

Attn: All Good Johnny Cage players.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Teach me. I want to learn this character so bad but I've always had trouble with him. So I need someone who is really good to tell me some of the ins and outs of his game. So far the only things I do are:

2,1, nutpunch

F+4, 4,4, flipkick

(I've basically been working the combos in the videos Killergod posted Ive got the corner and shit down. The midscreen Is a little rough but I'm getting it.)

So please just tell me every little important detail and give me some general strategies and things I should work on please.

Thanks guys.

Interesting thread. I've been thinking of picking up a rushdown char and Cage seems ideal. I don't know him at all but I have seen how some high level players use him. They mostly do frame traps. He has this string where he does a knee and like a elbow slap of some sort. Could be f+3,2 of something.That seems plus on block allowing you to poke, check, and continue 1,1 f+4 pressure. If they connect, he can reset the situation with a nut punch and continue adding pressure. He seems like a monster from up close and someone you REALLY want to keep away. I'm gonna go read the cage forums and see the strategies and inputs but it would be cool if someone gives you the details.

Snold

Noob
F3 2 nutpunch is a great string to do, the nutpunch is hit confirmable, so if they are blocking it you can do a D1 instead, and keep on doing that string. Killergod's videos show good kombos, and i also recommend watching some good Cages in tournies, JOP at evo is a good one.

Johnny Cage is all about pressure, nut punch reset and chip damage. His F3 2 is a frame trap, which if hit confirmed can be linked into nut punch which gives a lot of advantage. When your opponent is blocking right in front of you, get those block strings going. Strings to use are 1 1, F3 2, F3 3 B3, 2 1 (hit confirmed into 2 1 F2), 2 1 B4, D1 (in case your opponent tries to escape the pressure) and F4 (recommended after a jip since startup frames take forever). Another thing to consider is enhanced force ball, as this gives a lot of advantage. Throw these out at the end of a string whenever you want, preferably at the end of F3 3 (that way so they can't duck the force balls) or F3 3 B3 (closes space, gives you advantage where you'd otherwise be safe on block and lets you get right back into those strings). It's important to mix up your strings to stay unpredictable. Do F3 2, then F3, then F3 2 enhanced force ball, then 11, then F3 3 B3. You can hit confirm F3 3 into nutpunch, which i recommend you do.

After a nutpunch try and do a cross up jip. They'll be less likely to use breaker (not sure if good or bad), and jip gives you advantage/extra damage on the next combo.

It's recommended you end a combo with a nut punch so you can go straight into these block strings.

F4/B3 dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 4 4 nut punch.

21F2, dash F3, nut punch

21F2, dash 44, enhanced nut punch.

xray, dash B3, dash 2, dash 2, dash 2, dash 44, nutpunch

F4/B3, dash 11, dash 11, dash 44 nutpunch

In the corner, 21F2/B3/F4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 114, nutpunch
21F2, 21F2, 44 nutpunch

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Well I could go on for hours why hes so good, but if you want a summary. Godlike Normal and great speed = A great ass beating ;D Ive been playing cage since the game was released(Used him in the demo too) f3+2, Nutpunch is grood, d1 d3 are really good for adding pressure, But if your just starting out I would recommend trying to learn 2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, flip kick first. Its the bread and butter until you learn how to juggle with 2,dash,2,dash,2,dash 4,4. Also learn the match ups, There are some pretty fast normals that can snuff your pressure if you dont know them already. Also learn to make good use of shadow kick. I cant count how many times Ive used it to catch someone off guard to take the round when we kinda pacing back and forth ;D

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Well I could go on for hours why hes so good, but if you want a summary. Godlike Normal and great speed = A great ass beating ;D Ive been playing cage since the game was released(Used him in the demo too) f3+2, Nutpunch is grood, d1 d3 are really good for adding pressure, But if your just starting out I would recommend trying to learn 2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, flip kick first. Its the bread and butter until you learn how to juggle with 2,dash,2,dash,2,dash 4,4. Also learn the match ups, There are some pretty fast normals that can snuff your pressure if you dont know them already. Also learn to make good use of shadow kick. I cant count how many times Ive used it to catch someone off guard to take the round when we kinda pacing back and forth ;D
I actually can already do the carries no problem. Thank you Nightwolf :)

I've been playing him a good bit today and I've racked up some wins do to chip damage and the nut punch mixups. I guess it is more important to just keep pressure and stagger on the op rather than to load up for big combos eh?

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Hell ya dude, when I started with cage I was all about big combos. But thats because I was coming from MVC3 and SF4. Johnny Cage isnt about big combos. Hes about tearing you to shreds with crazy good offense, I personally like to throw in d1 or d3 in between every 2,1 and f3,2 . And if I think they arent expecting it Ill throw out a cross over 1 into f4. Works almost all the time(and thats saying alot since i play with Krazie, Online Tony, Teabag, and EGP Tyrant) But ya I think the main think would for sure be to know the normals that can snuff your pressure and learn a way around it, and learn to hit confirm f3, 2 nut punch(it takes some practice if you cant do it already)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage

Until you can recite this song by memory, you are not ready to join the cock knockers!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Heres some matches of a Cage mirror match (Online, PS3...Extremely Laggy)

There are some things that aren't so smart but its something to start off with.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
So far I've been doing very well at applying pressure in most cases, and I've been ending just about everything in nut punch for reset pressure and chip. Sometimes I end with a 4,4, flipkick. The only thing I need help with is this:

I play a dude with an above average Smoke. Now this isn't JUST Smoke but rather zoning characters in general. I need some tips with closing the distance (other than ex Shadow Kick) and keeping pressure on characters with an attacking teleport. (raiden, cryax etc, arn't that difficult to hold on too) but Scorp, smoke, and to a lesser extent Sektor and Kung Lao are hard to keep pressure on with their wake up teleports.

It can be hard when your OP can teleport or smoke bomb while you attempt to close the distance. So any advice on keeping the pressure on and avoiding the teleports, and closing the distance?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
So far I've been doing very well at applying pressure in most cases, and I've been ending just about everything in nut punch for reset pressure and chip. Sometimes I end with a 4,4, flipkick. The only thing I need help with is this:

I play a dude with an above average Smoke. Now this isn't JUST Smoke but rather zoning characters in general. I need some tips with closing the distance (other than ex Shadow Kick) and keeping pressure on characters with an attacking teleport. (raiden, cryax etc, arn't that difficult to hold on too) but Scorp, smoke, and to a lesser extent Sektor and Kung Lao are hard to keep pressure on with their wake up teleports.

It can be hard when your OP can teleport or smoke bomb while you attempt to close the distance. So any advice on keeping the pressure on and avoiding the teleports, and closing the distance?

Never use the Shadow kick to close distance.

If you're trying to get near somebody dont just run in. You gotta be careful because for every second you're not next to them its a second you're losing the fight basically because you cant shoot them back because the projectile sucks.

KLs tele = dash back & B3, ending combo into a nutpunch
Scorpion and Smoke just block and punish, but if you're attacking them its impossible for them to tele out.

If you dont want people to escape the cage you need to think quite a few moves ahead, since most damage comes from chip it automatically means that theyre always able to escape somehow, you just need to watch their block/movement patterns/attempts for whenever you throw out a specific string.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Hum, that's actually how most of my matches look. He does a lot a smart grabs though. Also is EX Forceball truly a great pressure tool? I noticed him using it a lot. That Smoke was playing into his hands bigtime though. The dude I play with is smart (although I just learned smoke can be hit in the smoke away/towards) He will stay away and zone with smoke bomb/teleport (as in constant) and will smoke away when I close in or for a mixup smoke towards and throw. Learned EX Shadow Kick as my only way to close the distance.

I guess it is safe to say that the projectile is not safe to trade with anything.

I wanted to question what was that punch he always threw after F+3,2, was it a D+1? or D+2? Also how safe and reliable is it?

Hum, that's actually how most of my matches look. He does a lot a smart grabs though. Also is EX Forceball truly a great pressure tool? I noticed him using it a lot. That Smoke was playing into his hands bigtime though. The dude I play with is smart (although I just learned smoke can be hit in the smoke away/towards) He will stay away and zone with smoke bomb/teleport (as in constant) and will smoke away when I close in or for a mixup smoke towards and throw. Learned EX Shadow Kick as my only way to close the distance.

I guess it is safe to say that the projectile is not safe to trade with anything.

I wanted to question what was that punch he always threw after F+3,2, was it a D+1? or D+2? Also how safe and reliable is it?
D+1, and I believe it cannot be interrupted after a F3, 2.

Ex forceball is a great tool to use. It can be linked in after any of your strings to mix things up, and considering all those block strings you'll most likely regain that meter very quickly. Here's an example, let's say for some reason your opponent isn't crouch blocking and you have a full meter. You can do F3 3 B3 ex force ball 5 times, and take out half his health. Choose to go F3 3 ex forceball and you can do that up to 4 times for about a quarter of his health.

As for the d1, it's safe on block and is 6 frames. I'm not sure if F3 2 leaves you at 0 like tremloc said, but regardless, it is very possible for your opponent to escape pressure with a down poke. By reading the down poke and using a D1 of your own, you can snuff him out and go straight back to your block strings. No matter what your opponent tries to do after a F3 2, your D1 is pretty much guaranteed to snuff it out. Note that if you guess wrong and the D1 gets blocked, it'll be easier for your opponent to escape.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Man I'm still having some trouble.

I have trouble doing hit confirms, I often do nut punch without hit confirms. I'm trying to get good at either D+1, ex force ball, or whatever after blocked hits. I keep doing nut punch and creating space. I'm not able to consistently keep that good string of hits blocked or not going.

Like there are breaks in my assault that all my friends who are good can easily escape from. Tips?

leek

Noob
There really isn't much of any besides just getting used to it. If he blocks F+3 that usually means he'll block 2, but still.

It's just getting used to it. Sorry