What's new

Strategy Ask mortal_jason Anything About MK2!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I've been getting a few messages a week from new players I meet on MK2, asking me for tips, pointers, and advice on the game. It's way too hard to explain things to people via ps3 (and I'm too lazy to get a mic), so I figured I would start a thread here. This is mainly for new MK2 players but anyone is free to post a question. Ask about match-up strategies, tier questions....anything!
I'll start with a question someone asked me recently:

WHY IS SUB-ZERO CONSIDERED THE 2ND WORST CHARACTER IN MK2, WHEN HE'S SO DAMN COOL??

All 3 male ninjas get annihilated up close by the other fighters' jabs. This is a huge reason Sub-Zero ranks so low.
Another big reason is that his freeze projectile does no chip damage when blocked.
It is the only projectile in MK2 that does no chip damage.
He only has 3 special moves compared to someone like Jax who has 5. Also Sub has a terrible uppercut, weak sweep, and bad low toe.
Versus the top 3 characters in MK2 (Mileena, Jax and Liu), Sub will be lucky to win 2 matches out of 10.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
what is the footsie game centered around and is MK2 a game worth picking up?

who are the best keepaway/zoning characters and who are the best CQC characters? counters to these characters?

why wasn't Noob a playable MK2 character? :mad:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
what is the footsie game centered around and is MK2 a game worth picking up?

Hi RYX. By footsie do you mean low toes? MK2 was insanely popular in the 90's for a reason. It is considered by many to be the greatest MK game in the series. DEFINITELY pick it up!

who are the best keepaway/zoning characters and who are the best CQC characters?

Mileena is the best character in MK2, and part of that is due to her zoning capabilities. Her sai toss can be done in the air and spammed with hardly any delay. This will shut down most opponents just in itself. Will write more later!

:mad:

Reactions: RYX

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
who are the best keepaway/zoning characters and who are the best CQC characters? counters to these characters?
why wasn't Noob a playable MK2 character? :mad:
As I was saying, Mileena is probably the best zoning character. She shuts people down with her Sai spam, but also pummels you from above with the Telekick, and hits you low and fast with her Roll.

Liu Kang, Shang Tsung and Jax are the other best zoning characters.
Liu's Fireballs can keep many opponents at bay. Shang's Skull Fireball spam is very tricky to circumnavigate. And Jax's Wave Punch, coupled with his unbelievable high kick, make him great at zoning as well.

The best counters to these characters are each other- and Raiden.
Because of his Teleport and Superman, he can always track down anyone.

Noob would have been a fun character to play as in MK2. I have no idea why he isn't playable, though I believe there are versions of MK2 on Mame where you can play as the hidden fighters.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Oops, I missed this part of your question.
Shang is probably the deadliest fighter up close (CQC).
The best counters to Shang are those who can zone- Mileena Liu and Jax.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I've always wondered why Shang isn't the best in the game. I thought there were plenty of types of setups that would allow him to morph into counters...

(my guess is a character like Mileena doesn't have a losing matchup)

mortal_jason
What do you think qualifies someone as an 'elite' player in MK2? Popular opinion? Tournament performance? Something else? Or is status irrelevant, a product of our desire to classify others based on our personal experiences with them? Please be specific and careful if you choose to establish a criteria.

Always wondered - for someone whos never played any MK competitively, how easy is MK2 to pick up? And as a follow up, how easy is Milleena to play? I feel like because her Sai move is just hold a button and release (right? its been FOREVER) it would be easy to instant sai and zone with her.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I've always wondered why Shang isn't the best in the game. I thought there were plenty of types of setups that would allow him to morph into counters...
(my guess is a character like Mileena doesn't have a losing matchup)

Honestly the only reason Shang isn't #1 in the game is because of his vulnerability while morphing.
If he could morph into Mileena at the start of the round, and ONLY morph back when he wanted to, he would be #1 for sure.
But in reality he is #6 on the tier. When he morphs, he can get stuck in infinite traps if an opponent jabs him correctly.
And while you won't see that happen often, he still is totally open to get hit while he morphs.
Still though, Shang has GREAT potential.
He can turn into your favorite character, counterpick any match, and Shang as himself has the best jab in MK2.

Mileena does not have a losing match-up. The only time she is at a disadvantage is if she is up against a more skilled Mileena player.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Why is reptile considered the worst character in the game?

Reptile is at a disadvantage versus every other fighter in MK2. Even the easiest match-up for him, Sub-Zero, is considered very tough.
His Forceball comes out agonizingly slow. His Acid Spit and Slide do hardly any damage.
His most dangerous move is his Invisibility, but it is very hard to stay invisible with him.
And the male ninjas all have the worst jabs in the game. That means Reptile gets mortalized up close by other fighters' sweeps, punches, etc.

Reptile is still one of my favorite fighters, and very fun to use despite him being shit tier!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
mortal_jason
What do you think qualifies someone as an 'elite' player in MK2? Popular opinion? Tournament performance? Something else? Or is status irrelevant, a product of our desire to classify others based on our personal experiences with them? Please be specific and careful if you choose to establish a criteria.

Good question!
Status is not irrelevant. In any sport, we want to know who the best are. We want to watch these players, be awed by, and learn from them.
MK2 is fun because anybody gets a crack at Roger Federer, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods...

To be elite, you must have 1 of the top characters out there.
Scorpangel probably couldn't pick his nose with Baraka, but his Liu and Jax are unbeatable except by other fellow elites.
InsaneBoss looked pretty mediocre with Kitana, but no one questioned whether he was elite or not after facing that nasty Mileena of his.
You DEFINITELY can identify an elite player when they are just crazy good with every fighter like MIKECALDWELL.
Tournament performance is usually a good indicator also, as an elite will almost undoubtedly make it to the end.

Are you thinking of sponsoring an "elite only" MK2 tournament? ;)

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Always wondered - for someone whos never played any MK competitively, how easy is MK2 to pick up? And as a follow up, how easy is Milleena to play? I feel like because her Sai move is just hold a button and release (right? its been FOREVER) it would be easy to instant sai and zone with her.

MK2 is pretty easy to pick up.
If you start with MK1, then MK2 will seem amazing. It has the same dynamics as MK1, but everything is so much better.

Mileena is easy to learn, but tricky to master. Yep her sai move is simply charging high punch for 2 seconds and releasing.
You won't make a lot of friends by spamming sai with Mileena, but it's a good way to start and get a feel for the game.

If you're a beginner I'd recommend using Mileena and Liu. Their moves are easy to pull off and very powerful.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Where is baraka on the tier list and why

I've created tier lists before, and I'm in the process of making an updated one you'll be able to check out soon.
It will show how every character does against each other, based on 10 matches (For instance, Mileena wins 9-1 vs Reptile).

Baraka is often considered to be one of the worst in MK2. But he is actually pretty good.
He is #8 on the tier mostly because of his great basic moves.
It can be argued that he has the best jump kick, jump punch, sweep, roundhouse, and crouch punch in the game.
Also his walk is the fastest in the game, allowing him to chase down turtlers.
His special moves, with the exception of the Shredder, are very weak.
But his awesome normal moves always make him a threat even to top tier.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Is MK2 > UMK3?

That's a matter of preference.
You can't convince me that UMK3 is better than MK2, and I wouldn't be able to convince an UMK3 lover that MK2 is best.
I can understand both sides of the coin.

I prefer MK2 mostly because there is no Run button or chain combos.
MK2 actually has exciting jabs up close, whereas UMK3 is about starting a chain combo.
In UMK3 most of the damage is done by pressing a series of buttons (chain combos such as Sheeva's HP,HP,LP,HK,HK,LK,HK for 42%(?) damage).
I've never liked that, but some people do.

mortal_jason

I'm not sure I agree with what you said. I don't think being an expert with Kang or even Reptile alone makes an elite player. Being great with everyone doesn't either. Honestly, I don't think a good definition exists. But let's try anyway and see if it can be tweaked.

1) An elite player should be able to defeat non-elite opponents, regardless of random matchup, 80% of the time.
2) An elite player should be able to defeat other elite opponents, regardless of random matchup, 40% of the time. I chose 40% instead of 50% because I believe experts will exploit mismatches better than advanced players and more often. If a player can maintain these percentages consistently out of 10 encounters, then you have yourself an elite player. I'll start with this and see what you think. Let's also say the online connection has to make conditions very playable to optimum....whatever that is for online.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
mortal_jason

I'm not sure I agree with what you said. I don't think being an expert with Kang or even Reptile alone makes an elite player. Being great with everyone doesn't either. Honestly, I don't think a good definition exists. But let's try anyway and see if it can be tweaked.

1) An elite player should be able to defeat non-elite opponents, regardless of random matchup, 80% of the time.
2) An elite player should be able to defeat other elite opponents, regardless of random matchup, 40% of the time. I chose 40% instead of 50% because I believe experts will exploit mismatches better than advanced players and more often. If a player can maintain these percentages consistently out of 10 encounters, then you have yourself an elite player. I'll start with this and see what you think. Let's also say the online connection has to make conditions very playable to optimum....whatever that is for online.
Yeah my definition wasn't perfect.
I agree that just having 1 elite character shouldn't make someone elite.
But people will view you as elite if you have 1 great character and only use that 1.

I like your criteria. I guess it's a grey area though.
For instance, what if Caldwell and Scorpangel do 10 randoms....
Scorpangel has 2 of the best fighters around in his Liu and Jax, but his other characters are average.
If he doesn't get Liu/Jax in random, and Mike beats him 10-0, does that mean Scorpangel is not elite?

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Why get into mk2 over the other available Mk games? What exactly is it that makes it superior to say, UMK3? These are all kind of the same question rephrased but if I was on the fence about picking it up what would change that in favor of doing so?