What's new

Article: NetherRealms Studios Would Like to See Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks Remastered

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Co-creator of Mortal Kombat and creative direction of NetherRealm Studios, Ed Boon, opens up on the subject of remasting some of their older titles. During the Brazil Game Show, Ed Boon took to a public Q&A, discussing both the past and future of Mortal Kombat. Aside from stating that there will be a big surprise next year for Mortal Kombat fans, Ed Boon also touched briefly on one of the many titles that fans have requested to get remastered.

“We’ve talked about doing remasters of some of the older games, you know Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was one of the ones that have been asked for doing a remastered version and in we’re thinking of it,” Ed Boon kontinues “we have nothing to announce but it would be something we’d like to see”
For those who aren’t familiar with the title, Shaolin Monks was a beat-em-up action-adventure game that released back in 2005 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. You followed the characters Lui Kang and Kung Loa as they ventured through the realms of Outworld to stop Shang Tsung evil plans. The game received positive reactions from both critics and fans at the time of release, although it never did get a sequel to follow after it despite being planned.

Since then fans have been begging for a sequel, or in the least a re-release on current-gen consoles. As Ed Boon said though, this isn’t an announcement, though one does have to question what is stopping the studio from making a new one.

For those who are interested in watching the full interview, you can watch a supercut down below.

Source:
https://mp1st.com/news/netherrealms-studios-would-like-to-see-mortal-kombat-shaolin-monks-remastered

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Fyi; Nrs (as it exists) didn't make Shaolin Monks. It was made by a studio that died with Midway.
Yeah, it wasn't even the team in Chicago (who made the main MK games) who made it. However, some of those who were on team creating MKSM, such as Shaun Himmerick, are in NRS now.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I would rather them remake it than remaster it. I know that's a lot harder and more expensive but seeing studios almost perfectly remaking the og Crash and Spyro games makes me really want to see what Shaolin Monks could be with NRS/WB money behind it lol

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
much better if coming as a proper major remake, using nowadays better graphics and the current available technology .... :)

NRS , please do it ! all MK fanbase around the world will buy and support it if you guys release a remake version of this ! ;)

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
What about a Mortal Kombat Collection Ed? Remaster only the best titles;

• MK Trilogy
  • MK SM
  • MK Deception
  • MK 9
Also i would like to pay if you give me Arcade Games in Arcade Perfection (MK1 TO MK4).

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Games WB and hopefully NRS need to bring back from Midway.

MK. SM 2 with online and up to 4 players also with offline co-op modes too.

MK 4 remastered for all consoles with netplay, perhaps a few extra goodies Arcade port and for Switch gets exclusive N64 port as a bonus mode.

Psi-Ops 2. Anyone who's played the first game knows this game was the best, and literally the first game to introduce a new engine entirely long before SW games and Infamous and Control that literally use similar engines. Would even love if they put Nick Scryer in MK as a guest in the future, his powers would make him perfect.

Of course MK 9 remastered, updated would also be a dream.

Obviously this is a dream wish and most likely won't happen lol.

Last edited:

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
A remake of SM would be cool. I'd also like to see new story focused action games set in the MK universe - like how did Scorpion become Scorpion (as in him training to become a ninja and doing assassinations)? What kinds of adventures did Kung Lao's ancestors go on? Or something focused on a villain, like the story of Shang Tsung's quest for power. I think there would be plenty of opportunities for Netherrealm to broaden into other game genres this way, while still working on the Mortal Kombat IP which their publisher likely wants them to do.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'd prefer they remaster something people would actually keep replaying, namely MK9.

Shaolin Monks was fun, but how much will people actually play it? I'd be playing disc golf with my copy of MK11 if they remastered MK9 with proper netcode. Personally, I couldn't give two shits about a Shaolin Monks game.

trufenix

bye felicia
Shaolin Monks was non-canon as all get out, it really doesn't matter what the story is about or what characters they pick.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
For real giving the license to monolith (shadow of war/shadow of Mordor, another WB property) and literally just make a copy paste of that game where you’re Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Liu Kang or several characters and go through the the different realms, kill demons and whatnot, sub bosses and bosses would be MK characters.

Makuholick

Killa Queen
Like to see Armageddon remasterd with all those characters
New designs would be cool in the style. Nice to think what designs I'd propose.
Tanya- MKX
Kitana- MK9
Scorpion- MKX
Raiden- MK11
Shaolin Monks was fun, but how much will people actually play it?
Literally remove the story and replace it for an endless beat em up and you have a classic arcade game. And in turn, many more people could not give two shits about MK9

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If they did make a sequel to MK SM, would have to have co op online play and offline or no dice.

For real giving the license to monolith (shadow of war/shadow of Mordor, another WB property) and literally just make a copy paste of that game where you’re Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Liu Kang or several characters and go through the the different realms, kill demons and whatnot, sub bosses and bosses would be MK characters.
Or perhaps the guys at WB Rocksteady who make the Arkham games? hmmm

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If they did make a sequel to MK SM, would have to have co op online play and offline or no dice.

Or perhaps the guys at WB Rocksteady who make the Arkham games? hmmm
That game would be great but I’d much prefer a DC property instead. Superman or Wonder Woman deserve a good game.