What's new

Aris' (Ongoing) Rocky Relationship With Mortal Kombat 11 | Avoiding The Podcast

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
For fucks sake...this community just loves shitting on their own games that they continue to play. Follow the leader, sheep.

I guarantee you that if NRS allowed custom variations, the backlash would be just as bad if not worse. Broken variations that people put together, tournaments looking like complete jokes due to unforseen balance consequences with certain variations...no matter what NRS does, there will always be a toxic response.

It is exhausting to be apart of this forum. About to throw in the towel on being apart of a forum and just follow the news, instead of reading the constant bullshit.
That's the thing.. People have been beating NRS up about balance for years. So they decide to be conservative rather than risky, and then people beat them up for being conservative at launch. There really is no way to win.

DarkSado

Noob
For fucks sake...this community just loves shitting on their own games that they continue to play. Follow the leader, sheep.

I guarantee you that if NRS allowed custom variations, the backlash would be just as bad if not worse. Broken variations that people put together, tournaments looking like complete jokes due to unforseen balance consequences with certain variations...no matter what NRS does, there will always be a toxic response.

It is exhausting to be apart of this forum. About to throw in the towel on being apart of a forum and just follow the news, instead of reading the constant bullshit.
YO GIVE THIS MAN A AWARD THANK YOU!

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
They give you customization but you guys willfully don’t use it and cry about a non problem lmao

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Agree with him. I like the idea of variations but the tournament variations we got in MK11 are a joke compared to the interesting a diverse variations we got in MKX (balancing issues aside). Every character is boring and uninteresting because it feels like they missing moves. Incomplete is the perfect way to describe it. I didn't get this feeling with MKX at all despite it also using a variation system.

chores

bad at things
Reminder that Aris has been playing NRS games since MK9 and made top 32 at Evo, before you 16ers start dismissing him because he doesn't like MK11.

That being said, I don't agree with him, and I think he just generally isn't interested in playing Fighting games right now. (Perhaps it would be more accurate to say he isn't interested in streaming himself netplaying fighting games)
Another thing people often forget is his two losses in that tournament were against REO and perfectlegend who ended up getting 1st and 2nd.

I think the main issue here was the communication. If they said "custom variations will be 100% allowed, but not for now because of reasons..." people will be fine. We would see how things go with preset variations (including new ones eventually) and when game begins to feel flat, promote competitive custom variations.

Auron

Look, it has begun.
tournaments looking like complete jokes due to unforeseen balance consequences with certain variations.
Well we seem to be heading towards majorly Erron vs Geras tournaments as it is so it's already going to look like a complete joke. The game seems pretty balanced other than the few outliers at the top though so once adjustments are made this is probably the way to go. If everyone could be Geras now the balance would probably be worse off in the long run.

I think the main issue here was the communication. If they said "custom variations will be 100% allowed, but not for now because of reasons..." people will be fine. We would see how things go with preset variations (including new ones eventually) and when game begins to feel flat, promote competitive custom variations.
I'm pro-variation but there's no reason for them to make any sort of definitive statement in either direction. People remember everything, if NRS has to change their approach in any way due to changing circumstances, their quotes will be brought up as misleading or outright lies.