What's new

Tech Ares - 50/50 Mix-up off a Standing Reset

InFlames

dead
Sorry if this was known. After looking at RedRaptor10's Deathstroke 50/50 I thought I would go into the lab and try it out with Ares' U4. I found that after a high D2 into U4 reset you're left at around +15, allowing for a high/low mix-up with 3D2/3DD4.

Here are the following combos where the opponent is left at +15 or more plus it's difficulty:
3D2~MB GS-D2U4 - Strict timing
MB GS-D2U4 - Easy
F3-D2U4 - Easy

Here are the follow up combos after each mix-up:
3DD4-F23-112
3D2-F23-F23-112

Thoughts?

Mr Aquaman
4x4lo8o
Dislexsik
WaywardStranger
DownfouralitY
xInfra Deadx
WannabePlayer

InFlames

dead
What do you use for midscreen setups with this?
This only works in the corner at the moment. At midscreen you get a guaranteed 123, 112, d1, or 223(not sure if 223 can be backdashed). I abuse it until the enemy starts blocking it instead of trying to jump out or backdash, then I start going for 3D2/throws. It's all a huge mix-up.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Wow! Great find man.

I remember back in the day Inflames found all types of good stuff for my nikkuh Noob Saibot. This guy is finding hidden stuff all the time.

4x4lo8o

Noob
What's the damage on 3D2~MB GS-D2U4? 30ish%?(sorry, can't watch the video atm)
And 3DD4-F23-112 does 18% if I remember right.

I used to use d2~u4 a lot, but personally I really don't like the guaranteed damage you're dropping vs the potential damage gain. That combined with that fact that it required both traits and I feel like 3d2/3~d4 is fuzzy guardable(I know on paper it shouldn't be, and maybe I'm just predictable, but I've had training partners blocking it very consistently when put in situations like this where they know the mix ups coming) was enough that I stopped messing with it. Especially with how low the damage off of 3~dd4 is. You're gaining no damage at that point, and if you started in the corner you're actually dropping damage and using unnecessary trait/meter. There's not a lot of reason for the opponent to not just block high.

This probably works really well online or in a tournament setting where people don't know your habits or the match up particularly well, especially when used sparingly. I'm inspired to revisit it if I ever pick Ares back up

I'm not gonna lie that shit is pretty ill dude but have you tried it in a real setting yet? and is it done consistently and worth it? Just curious about its practicability

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
Sorry if this was known. After looking at RedRaptor10's Deathstroke 50/50 I thought I would go into the lab and try it out with Ares' U4. I found that after a high D2 into U4 reset you're left at around +15, allowing for a high/low mix-up with 3D2/3DD4.

Here are the following combos where the opponent is left at +15 or more plus it's difficulty:
3D2~MB GS-D2U4 - Strict timing
MB GS-D2U4 - Easy
F3-D2U4 - Easy

Here are the follow up combos after each mix-up:
3DD4-F23-112
3D2-F23-F23-112

Thoughts?

Mr Aquaman
4x4lo8o
Dislexsik
WaywardStranger
DownfouralitY
xInfra Deadx
WannabePlayer
dammit why am i never tagged in these ares discussions...

4x4lo8o

Noob
You dropped Ares!? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Sorry bro, I can't do it anymore. When everyone around me plays characters like Black Adam, Flash, Superman, and MMH it gets frustrating. I feel like Ares is keeping me from playing at the highest level I'm capable of. Ever gotten 3rd at a tournament, after losing close sets against characters you lose to 3-7? It's demoralizing

The other thing is that I play mostly offline with a fairly close knit scene, and we've got a lot of players who take the game pretty seriously and want to do well at tournaments and make a name for the Arizona scene. None of those guys are getting much benefit from all the Ares experience I'm giving them. Everyone I play with is happy I decided to drop the character.

It also doesn't help that Ares makes the PS3 lag. I've been to 3 out of state tournaments and had significant console related issues at all of them. It's to the point where if I'm playing Ares I'm not willing to compete on the PS3, which sucks because that limits my tournament options and I'd really like to travel and compete frequently

Maybe if he gets changed significantly in the patch(which I'm not hopeful about based on the rumors I'm hearing and the kinds of changes they've made in the past - I sort of expect him to drop solidly into the bottom 3) I'll pick him back up as a co-main or something and once I settle into a viable character I'll probably start playing him on the side, but for now I'm not touching him. Anyway, I don't want to derail an awesome tech thread with frustrated rants. I give huge props to you guys sticking it out with the God of War and I'll still be around the forums downplaying the character

InFlames

dead
4x4lo8o
3DD4 is the only downside of this, landing it only gives you around 47% which is about the same damage you would get with a full combo. I'll try and see if I can get more damage into this. I do know that DD4 launches high hitbox characters higher, so that could be useful to increase damage on people like Doomsday, Grundy or Bane.

4x4lo8o

Noob
4x4lo8o
3DD4 is the only downside of this, landing it only gives you around 47% which is about the same damage you would get with a full combo. I'll try and see if I can get more damage into this. I do know that DD4 launches high hitbox characters higher, so that could be useful to increase damage on people like Doomsday, Grundy or Bane.
Yeah. I don't even know that the down side is the 3~dd4 necessarily, it's just the same as with most any non-guaranteed reset where you're giving up guaranteed damage for non-guaranteed damage. In this case I just feel like half the time you end up losing a bunch of damage(from ending the combo early for the set up) and half the time when it does hit you end up about even because when 3~low axe hits it makes up the damage you would have gotten and not much more. The rest of the time you get big damage, but I don't know if that's often enough to justify going for it.

The other thing is that knowing you get bigger damage off of 3d2 than 3~dd4, the opponent is probably more likely to just block high every time. It might be hard to condition them to ever block the low axe, which is a problem because you need them to block low and get hit by 3d2 to be really gaining damage.

So yeah, you're definitely right. The biggest thing that I'd say keeps this from being really viable is the damage on 3~dd4. If there was some break through there this would be extremely solid.

There might be other stuff to take into account to, like people's tendency to press buttons when they shouldn't or other stuff you can go into if they're respecting it too much. I just personally don't like the high cost in terms of trait and meter use and dropped guaranteed damage.