What's new

General/Other Ares 1.06

4x4lo8o

Noob
What do you guys think of Ares with the patch?

He got his wake up issue fixed, which is more than I had ever hoped for. I still think he has some problems, I would have really liked to see a fix regarding his trait in the corner or his d1 against floaty characters, but between his new teleport and nerfs to some high tiers I think Ares will do quite a bit better. The new teleport options have a lot of potential.

Who's excited for new MB teleport bnb's?

4x4lo8o

Noob
I'm curious if the meter building on cancel-able specials nerf affects his trait. If so I see that being a significant nerf

4x4lo8o

Noob
Teleport amy or may not eb dumba s hell now depending on how far he goes.
Even if he goes full screen, it's still a 40 frame duration. It won't be that bad, any character with a projectile can hit him as he teleports back.

If it turns out really good, it'll be because of the mind games. His close teleports will be safer because people will be hesitant to mash d1 or punish immediately because they don't know where he's teleporting too, plus the fact that he might MB the teleport and recover first and punish.

I like it because it's a lot more than I thought we'd get, but I still feel like it might not fix his wakeup problem, at least in some matches, depending on how far away he gets to teleport. Maybe that glitch will still be there where Ares teleports in front of his opponent to be full combo'd even though he does his far behind wakeup. Some moves that might cause this at the top of my head are Catwoman's cat dash, Superman's flying punch, Doomsday's venom, and Green Lantern's turbine. We'll see, however.

Also, I fear that there may be a point where we have to use meter in order to wakeup safely, which is messed up. I'll re-iterate, the point of a wakeup is to keep your opponent guessing. If your opponent comes in for pressure after a knockdown, a wakeup is meant to keep that option in check by preventing it and usually full combo-ing it. However, we may just get enough recovery frames so that we can either barely punish pressure after a knockdown (which may autocorrect), or we'll be in range where we won't be able to punish it at all, at the cost of a bar of meter. That's not right.

There was no mention of fixing any of his glitches, including but not limited to: trait whiffing from certain strings, and his bi-polar teleport. Maybe his 22 string having a better hitbox will make it so trait won't whiff in the corner somehow? They fixed the problem where his super wouldn't work against a traited up Aquaman, but I never even knew this was an issue. I'm glad they fixed it anyway.

If I could choose three more buffs for Ares, I would give him the following:
1. A faster standing 3
2. A faster b2
3. Longer invisibility time on both normal and mb versions.

Aside from that, I think it would be fair to have godsmack have two hits of armor on meterburn and for it to recover slightly faster on whiff, I'd like the cooldown for his trait to be lower (5 seconds?), and I'd like more of his strings to be safe. He only has two useful + strings where most of the cast has several. I think 22 should be plus or at least 0 because it's such an important tool for Ares. I think his b1/b13 should have faster recovery frames (I think the block advantage is fine). Anyways, these are my two cents on what Ares got, how that could impact us negatively (it's obvious how well it will impact us positively), and what he could use to make him a much more viable character. As it stands now, I don't see him going up to B tier from C tier, and I won't ever see him going up past B tier unless he gets a few extra things.

May we all body many fools who challenge us at our own game. Sig semper tyrannis.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I have concerns on how meter dependant he's going to turn out to be.
Same here. That was my first concern when I saw the Ares teaser 'where am I going to find meter for mb teleport'

Especially with that little note about specials that can be cancelled building less meter. A lot of my meter with Ares comes from trait and trait dash cancels. If that gets hit it could mean quite a bit less meter every match.

On top of that, the mb teleport probably means new bnb's, but those will require meter too. Ares is already one of the more meter dependent characters in the game I think(I think far more about meter than with any other character I've used or tried to use) so slowing his meter building and giving him more uses for meter is going to be interesting.

On the other hand, it's possible he'll need meter less now or be able to build it more effectively. The threat of MB teleport might be more important than the actual mb teleport(freeing up normal teleports) and an away teleport will help him wake up while building meter on its own. Hopefully his it will make his zoning and counter zoning stronger, making him less reliant on mb GS and mb fireball, and new teleport set ups will make mb invis and mb f3 set ups less important.
We'll see. It's mostly speculation at this point, but I think it could go either way. Even if he ends up being super heavily dependant on meter, I'll still take that over what he's got now.

WannabePlayer, what do you think 2 hits of armor on GS will do? I think the characters getting that are getting it mostly because of Batarang's, and those aren't a huge problem for GS.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I like it because it's a lot more than I thought we'd get, but I still feel like it might not fix his wakeup problem, at least in some matches, depending on how far away he gets to teleport. Maybe that glitch will still be there where Ares teleports in front of his opponent to be full combo'd even though he does his far behind wakeup. Some moves that might cause this at the top of my head are Catwoman's cat dash, Superman's flying punch, Doomsday's venom, and Green Lantern's turbine. We'll see, however.
I think we're fine as far as that glitch. The glitch didn't make anything weird happen with teleport in front, so it probably had something to do with specifically where teleport behind was trying to put Ares. Presumable either of the new teleports will function fine, although the normal teleport behind will still be vulnerable.

I think his wake ups will be fine too. There's probably some characters that can punish his far teleports if they bait them out, but for the most his wake ups do what they need to. He probably has some of the best wake up options in the game now(GS has always been good, it just didn't cover an area that needed to be covered) and at the very least he's not free to jump ins and doesn't get universally wrecked once he gets knocked over.
You don't need a full combo when you wake up to be good, you just need to occasionally be able to get up for free and his new wake up options do that

I just want it because I hate it getting blown up sometimes by multihit moves :D
NW staff spin on reaction to GS is the only thing I can really thing of that applies to this, and that might be GS even if it had two hits of armor. Almost every other situation where you get hit twice and knocked out of GS you shouldn't have been using GS and it probably wasn't going to hit anyway

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I cant wait to try out new combos with the mb teleport.

You have to realize this will be great for wall carrying, and we can agree that ares is a beast in the corner, meterless high damage combos and a whole assortiment of shenanigans.

With supermans recovery on laser being nerfed, his f2 being nerfed, i already like this match better now.

Btw a faster normal 3 and b2 is not really what i want. I mean can you imagine how good he is gonna be with that? I would be more scared of a ares 1.06 version then a superman 1.05 version.
His normals are just fine i think.

Btw a faster normal 3 and b2 is not really what i want. I mean can you imagine how good he is gonna be with that? I would be more scared of a ares 1.06 version then a superman 1.06 version.
His normals are just fine i think.
Geez, you guys are pleased pretty easily :rolleyes:. I'd like his b2 to be 12 startup frames. That's still very reactable. The way his b2 is now is that the hitbox starts out behind him and you'll never even get in a trade with that move. It's almost useless. I play with people who can see it coming out and either block accordingly or take those 19 frames to full combo me. I'm happy with these buffs, but I won't be completely satisfied until Ares has some stuff that will work on high level players. As it is now, every mixup he has can be easily blocked or stuffed. I just want it to be a little harder is all.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Geez, you guys are pleased pretty easily :rolleyes:. I'd like his b2 to be 12 startup frames. That's still very reactable. The way his b2 is now is that the hitbox starts out behind him and you'll never even get in a trade with that move. It's almost useless. I play with people who can see it coming out and either block accordingly or take those 19 frames to full combo me. I'm happy with these buffs, but I won't be completely satisfied until Ares has some stuff that will work on high level players. As it is now, every mixup he has can be easily blocked or stuffed. I just want it to be a little harder is all.
12 frames still very reactable? I must be getting old lol

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I would also like to point out that there's a hotfix coming with the patch to fix a lot of glitches...so hopefully they addressed the corner problem...

Crathen

Death is my business
This buff is pretty big , hopefully they fix his corner issues and d1 on floating characters.

What this tele buff will mean IMO:

- More lame lame lame lame lame runaway , camping on a lifelead and baiting projectiles to punish his backwards teleport wich opens up behind teleport / MB teleport

_ Wakeup guessing game greatly improved , there's almost no reason not to wake up when knocked down to make them guess where you're going to teleport wich probably means more openings to sneak in a MB GS or simply create space and continue zoning / keeping the lifelead

_ Depending on the recovery on MB teleport he might get new ambigous frametraps from strings with good cancel advantage , he will be able to create space after blockstrings without getting stuck in pressure after being - on block

_ Build more meter while running away with teleport ( takes 13 teleports to built 1 bar ) , still have to see if his trait cancels will build less meter

That said i think he's still going to have some rough matchups but he's definately getting better

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
He needs an air dash, and the ability to cancel at anytime a jump or air dash into an immediate godsmack straight down.

Post-patch Ares is a top-five character. We've only scratched the surface in terms of unblockable and/or invisible setups.

Edit: Perhaps it is more apt to say "post-patch Ares is S-tier"

The new teleports are going to even the playing field for Ares. For now, I am happy with what they did. It seems to me anything more would just make him over powered. Of course my opinion on this could be thrown out the window after the patch is released and I try it out.