What's new

Are you disappointed?

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I have been getting more and more disappointed, at this point I just want them to end MK11 on a strong note, especially if this is the last one for a while. I would hate to have this game continue with the bad decisions (imo) and leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Just my two cents.

Shang himself is okay. I didn't have high expectations so he pretty much met the bar for what I expected.

I'm not disappointed. I see the ninja stuff as a bit of a bonus to Shang and prefer him to have his own moves, so the lack of them in tournament variations made sense to me.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
At first I was disappointed that the ninja moves weren't part of Shang's tourney variations, but it is what it is. I also like the idea of him being his own character, and he can still morph into the opponent, a la MK9. If that shit wasn't tournament legal, THEN I'd be pissed.

I think NRS got in over their heads with the whole variation system. It's clear that they had no idea what to do when it came to MK11. We were sold a game that would be custom variations, and although that's true, it's a mode that competitive players (and casuals who watch every tourney like myself) don't give two shits about.

I watch their trailers with a grain of salt now, because it's safe to assume at least half the cool shit you saw will never be in a tournament variation.

My hope is that in the future, we WILL see all these cool moves represented in a tournament legal variation. I hated all the cool gear moves in INJ2 simply because we NEVER saw them in high level play. Even after the game was fucking dead (basically a year in), it was STILL never implemented, if nothing else, than for fun.

NRS without question took a step back with the variation system in MK11. If they can't improve it somehow during the life of this game, I hope they scrap it completely in the future. I love the idea, but to go from 3 variations to 2, on top of many of them being useless shit (Dirtbag, the stupid Frank West Johnny variation, True Kahn, Totemic etc.) I'd rather just have each character to be complete and focused on one playstyle.

I do think that by this time next year, the game will feel a lot more complete. I'm imagining 3 to 4 tournament legal variations at least. So maybe someday Shang Tsung will have that variation with all the morphs included and it will be tournament legal.

ErmacMKX

Noob
Ranked variations are the worst thing this game could have implemented. I dont even want to watch any of the character trailers because I know the best parts wont be viable in ranked.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Well I'm super annoyed by it because I've been wanting shang to play in the way boss shang tsung played by morphing into random kombatants (not just the one he's fighting against) during normal strings, special moves, etc all while still having access to soul steal. That's the uniqueness to shang's powerset and it was finally realized and...

we can't fucking use it if we want to play competitively. That's just lame af I'm sorry.

Why not let both casuals and competitive players have access to ALL moves in the game. There is already a balancing system in place with the slot system and of course hotfixes. Such a shame.

I was hoping they'd not follow the Injustass 2 rule book. Turns out, they did. =/

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
that's absolutely not true. i believe that goes to either unist or GG. the tutorials are bare minimum at best and there's even wrong information in it. the krypt is literally rng bloated nostalgia and I like the krypt.
MK11's tutorials are bare minimum? Lmao.

Gamespot: "MK11's tutorial is an incredible resource that makes high-level strategies accessible and offers knowledge that you can take to any other fighting game. "

Eurogamer: "Mortal Kombat 11 has perhaps the best tutorial yet seen in a fighting game."

Polygon: "The training mode is one of the best parts of the game, and one of the best fighting game tutorials I’ve played, on par with gems like that of Skullgirls."

Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-11s-tutorial-is-an-excellent-intro-to-hig-1834220647
"Mortal Kombat 11’s tutorial is the best I’ve come across in a fighting game. "

Paste: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/mortal-kombat-11-has-the-best-fighting-game-tutori.html

GameCrate: "Mortal Kombat 11's tutorials are some of the best in the fighting game business. "

I'm not going to go as far as to say it's the best ever made, but calling it 'bare minimum' is borderline trolling here.

Last edited:
I am not disappointed at all. He is basicallly what i expected. If youve been playing the game, you know the cast only uses like 30% of their moves in the tourny variants. The trailers for shang were to build hype and to show the custom variant players what to expect.

I messed with shang for like 30mins. He is cool and i will lab him but i dont see myself learning him seriously. I was put off that his fastest mid is lke 14 or 15 frames. Maybe he will be strong, but thats just not my playstyle.

D

Deleted member 35141

Why as fans of MK do we accept this bullshit, if this was EA or Ubisoft there would be mass hysteria.
Been a fan of MK for over 20 years but no way is this shit ok.
I don't care if anyone agrees but ive put hundreds of $ bought everything they put out.

MK11's tutorials are bare minimum? Lmao.

Gamespot: "MK11's tutorial is an incredible resource that makes high-level strategies accessible and offers knowledge that you can take to any other fighting game. "

Eurogamer: "Mortal Kombat 11 has perhaps the best tutorial yet seen in a fighting game."

Polygon: "The training mode is one of the best parts of the game, and one of the best fighting game tutorials I’ve played, on par with gems like that of Skullgirls."

Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-11s-tutorial-is-an-excellent-intro-to-hig-1834220647
"Mortal Kombat 11’s tutorial is the best I’ve come across in a fighting game. "

Paste: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/mortal-kombat-11-has-the-best-fighting-game-tutori.html

GameCrate: "Mortal Kombat 11's tutorials are some of the best in the fighting game business. "

I'm not going to go as far as to say it's the best ever made, but calling it 'bare minimum' is borderline trolling here.
you did not just quote those trash bag ass casual sites. you're mad invalid now

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Uncle JBeezY is gonna keep it ALL THE WAY LIVE with y'all. I'm disappointing by this game as a whole! From the messy marketing, to the misleading marketing, to every bad decision NRS has made with this game that has override the good things.

We have a RIGHTEOUS story mode and even Rhonda did a good job in it. Yeah...I know....everything else about her performance sucks, but shes good in the story. The tutorial is pretty fucking stellar compared to all FGs and I appreciate NRS teaching us the concept of frame data.

But everything else....

From the VERY rocky start of ToT, to their Kombat League being postponed 3 times, to finding out Custom Variations arent Tournament/Ranked legal which is why MOST CHARACTERS OF THE CAST SUCK because they can't fully shine with these lame, thrown together tournament variations with clearly no thought put into it.

Shang looks good, but accepting the fact that having his coolest looking moves that NRS sold us on in the trailer is not even legal is asinine! This was one of the things they did in Ij2 and we all HATED IT so why are we giving them a pass? Fuck that! I will NOT accept bullshit from any company, especially when I've paid $100 too in and others as well. We have the right to be disappointed and call the bs like we see it.

Will NRS make better decisions down the line? Man, I dont even know anymore. It might be little to too late for people to wanting to deal with this current state because its already stale. The game is not even 3 months old! We NEED a change! NRS needs to make better decisions because this rollout of this game thus far has been piss fucking poor of a franchise thats LEGENDARY, this effort is mediocre at best. Just saying.

trufenix

bye felicia
A lot of us said this before the game came out, but if they don't allow custom variations not only is it not going to bring more players to the game, they're gonna bore their core audience.
The core audience gets to use customs. The audience being "locked out" is the smallest consumer base, also most importantly; we asked for this.

xKMMx

Banned
Do they make characters available for purchase as standalone> Like if all I end up wanting is Spawn and Nightwolf when they are released am I able to just buy them.

Was that a thing in MKX? How much do they normally cost stand alone.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Do they make characters available for purchase as standalone> Like if all I end up wanting is Spawn and Nightwolf when they are released am I able to just buy them.

Was that a thing in MKX? How much do they normally cost stand alone.
Yes, they eventually do. I think once the character is out for everybody, then it will become available for individual purchase.

Hi all,
Long time i follow TYM but never registered nor posted anything (lazy af)... But now with shang out i had to do this thread.
He' beautiful, almost perfect, but i am kinda disappointed since they made a LOT of matketing about the ninja shapeshifting and such (rain tweet, ninja gif, the trailer...) and now no one of his tournament mode has any of them... i feel like i've been trolled, and really disappointed. What's your thought about it?
Most of the kasual players don’t use tournament variations anyway, so why the fuss?

NRS probably made the decision to please both competitive & casual crowds.

What they missed is the fact that you can’t please everyone.

xKMMx

Banned
Uncle JBeezY is gonna keep it ALL THE WAY LIVE with y'all. I'm disappointing by this game as a whole! From the messy marketing, to the misleading marketing, to every bad decision NRS has made with this game that has override the good things.

We have a RIGHTEOUS story mode and even Rhonda did a good job in it. Yeah...I know....everything else about her performance sucks, but shes good in the story. The tutorial is pretty fucking stellar compared to all FGs and I appreciate NRS teaching us the concept of frame data.

But everything else....

From the VERY rocky start of ToT, to their Kombat League being postponed 3 times, to finding out Custom Variations arent Tournament/Ranked legal which is why MOST CHARACTERS OF THE CAST SUCK because they can't fully shine with these lame, thrown together tournament variations with clearly no thought put into it.

Shang looks good, but accepting the fact that having his coolest looking moves that NRS sold us on in the trailer is not even legal is asinine! This was one of the things they did in Ij2 and we all HATED IT so why are we giving them a pass? Fuck that! I will NOT accept bullshit from any company, especially when I've paid $100 too in and others as well. We have the right to be disappointed and call the bs like we see it.

Will NRS make better decisions down the line? Man, I dont even know anymore. It might be little to too late for people to wanting to deal with this current state because its already stale. The game is not even 3 months old! We NEED a change! NRS needs to make better decisions because this rollout of this game thus far has been piss fucking poor of a franchise thats LEGENDARY, this effort is mediocre at best. Just saying.
I agree with so much of this. I think they were getting scared they would disappoint people by not releasing this game in a time frame consistent with previous releases like releasing and NRS game every two years. Feels like they were afraid to fall out of the public consciousness and they just wanted to get this thing out to keep the money machine running.

I realized the past few times I was playing that I'm bored waaaaaaaaay faster than I ever was with MKX. With MKX I could lose a day to that game even if I intended to just play an hour or two because it was just too fun. MK 11 for all of its upside gameplay wise gets boring fast. Almost every one plays every character the same online because they are all kinda shallow.

I know they wanted to make a game that is for fighting game purists and competitive gamers by making it neutral heavy and all that shit but it just doesn't feel like MK sometimes. I have always loved MK games for how they are super over the top. This game feels very tame for an MK game aside from the blood and guts.

It is a good game but compared to what we have got in the past it can feel very disappointing at times. It feels like every time something new comes out it is very lack luster once players get their hands on it. I haven't touched ST yet cause I wasn't willing to pay 100.00 upfront to possibly get a shitload of characters I would never touch. But by the sounds of it he is just another big disappointment, which sucks cause I was way hyped for him on announcement.

xKMMx

Banned
Yes, they eventually do. I think once the character is out for everybody, then it will become available for individual purchase.
ANy idea what they may be priced at based on what they were priced at on MKX? I saw a video one time of a guy on YouTube talking shit to a dude that was playing as Jason saying "cant believe you spent five bucks on guest character."

If they are only five bucks why they hell would anyone ever spend 40.00 on a kombat pack?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
ANy idea what they may be priced at based on what they were priced at on MKX? I saw a video one time of a guy on YouTube talking shit to a dude that was playing as Jason saying "cant believe you spent five bucks on guest character."

If they are only five bucks why they hell would anyone ever spend 40.00 on a kombat pack?
$5.99 for each character.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I mean their trailers are to build hype but they definitely arent an indication of how good a character is going to be.
cough Frost cough