What's new

Are you being counter poked after you hit d1? You're doing it wrong (Jailing system explained)

You're not confirming that on hit reliably unless you're a f-ing Jedi. D1 into throw mix up seems to work well though

Edit: If u do manage to jail and blow up their poke 1-2 times they will think twice so it's indeed something I should get better at.
Yes but first you need to earn the respect not to poke/D2 you out of throw. I am fan of throw mixup.
S1|F4 can give you that respect or D1xxParry. Or walk back if you are in range.

I am respectful player so I would not try to poke just if I constantly see the opponent whiffs his high moves on me lol.

This is practical knowledge to use. It isn't the end all be all though and would use it more like a read. You can't confirm this and many characters have this but you aren't solving the issue people are having easily so they will complain. Good breakdown of what people should be doing.

For those that can't do this just save yourself some trouble and d4. It hits low so no low profile. It's fast enough to have wiggle room on. And on success you get to do your stupid combo strings that everyone is dying to do all the time.

After that learn to flawless after your low pokes and punish harder.

Then after that learn what's being displayed here for your character so that you can gain options.

There is no one answer to safeguard against other players. If there was then why bother playing against another person. Know all your options so that you can deceive the other player, that is what a fighting game is all about.

This is practical knowledge to use. It isn't the end all be all though and would use it more like a read. You can't confirm this and many characters have this but you aren't solving the issue people are having easily so they will complain. Good breakdown of what people should be doing.

For those that can't do this just save yourself some trouble and d4. It hits low so no low profile. It's fast enough to have wiggle room on. And on success you get to do your stupid combo strings that everyone is dying to do all the time.

After that learn to flawless after your low pokes and punish harder.

Then after that learn what's being displayed here for your character so that you can gain options.

There is no one answer to safeguard against other players. If there was then why bother playing against another person. Know all your options so that you can deceive the other player, that is what a fighting game is all about.
You pointed out the levels of the game. However the game is out for a week so probably nobody plays it in full depth yet.
I already started learning few flawless block timing in certain match ups I play (against my friend lol). Small steps haha.

Everyone who paid attention the gaps in mkx/injustice will do it in mk11 too. Not everyone will learn the flawless block as they did not interrupt gaps before either when it was easier to interrupt than now.
I imagine that playing with a player who knows how to flawless block will be more interesting as it makes opportunities for both side. Trying flawless block can even be punished harder haha.

To be honest Skarlet's long reach safe moves and one button special cancels are a bit boring (and feels stupid) to me especially when I see the opponent is just frustrated not being able to reach me or handle the situation.
However it will be totally different when the opponent starts flawless blocking and I can not do it blindly anymore.

Last edited:
The game is really exciting when flawless is in play, it doesn't even have to be everything just like 3 per round is gam changing. Gives the game so much depth that people feel is lacking, but again it's a knowledge and execution heavy mechanic.

The game is really exciting when flawless is in play, it doesn't even have to be everything just like 3 per round is gam changing. Gives the game so much depth that people feel is lacking, but again it's a knowledge and execution heavy mechanic.
I wonder how many players will practice that much instead of dropping 50/50 and/or plus string pressures. :)

But hey - in mkx we needed to focus on the run cancels, long strict combos etc. now we will spend the same amount of time in the practice room for flawless block lol.

So I just tried this, and after D1 on hit, why would you even bother using 1-2-3 string?
It is really tight timing and a lot of times will get low profiled if not done correctly.
F4-3-tongue/cell works better, is a mid so doesnt require a tight timing, and also nets you more damage than 123.
Or if you have the corner, b3-4 into full 280 damage meterless combo works like a charm.
Or you could just forward throw since they mashing D1, and get that sweet KB throw later.
Now, imagine if 212 was a mid, we would get mid screen 290 damage launch combos against mashers, so yeah, it would be a nice buff.

Last edited:

ApexPredator1509

☕️ ☕️ ☕️
So I just tried this, and after D1 on hit, why would you even bother using 1-2-3 string?
It is really tight timing and a lot of times will get low profiled if not done correctly.
F4-3-tongue/cell works better, is a mid so doesnt require a tight timing, and also nets you more damage than 123.
Or if you have the corner, b3-4 into full 280 damage meterless combo works like a charm.
Or you could just forward throw since they mashing D1, and get that sweet KB throw later.
Now, imagine if 212 was a mid, we would get mid screen 290 damage launch combos against mashers, so yeah, it would be a nice buff.
Yeah this seems to be the case for multiple characters. Kano's 11 string just whiffs on the first swing after a d1 on hit so i'd rather walk back to see what their tendencies are or go for a throw

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You pointed out the levels of the game. However the game is out for a week so probably nobody plays it in full depth yet.
I already started learning few flawless block timing in certain match ups I play (against my friend lol). Small steps haha.

Everyone who paid attention the gaps in mkx/injustice will do it in mk11 too. Not everyone will learn the flawless block as they did not interrupt gaps before either when it was easier to interrupt than now.
I imagine that playing with a player who knows how to flawless block will be more interesting as it makes opportunities for both side. Trying flawless block can even be punished harder haha.

To be honest Skarlet's long reach safe moves and one button special cancels are a bit boring (and feels stupid) to me especially when I see the opponent is just frustrated not being able to reach me or handle the situation.
However it will be totally different when the opponent starts flawless blocking and I can not do it blindly anymore.
Not every move is launch punishable by flawless block now, many moves do have the exact same recovery on block or flawless block, except very few, such as wakeups, fatal blows, and long active frames moves, mostly special moves.

I dunno how are you guys handling Blood Drive, but i think Heart Pierce to be far superior and better at everything else, besides it has a better defense than Blood Drive.

Not every move is launch punishable by flawless block now, many moves do have the exact same recovery on block or flawless block, except very few, such as wakeups, fatal blows, and long active frames moves, mostly special moves.

I dunno how are you guys handling Blood Drive, but i think Heart Pierce to be far superior and better at everything else, besides it has a better defense than Blood Drive.
Well I could punish all Skarlet's gaps. :)
But in general it is true.
I checked few key strings - they are punishable.

I play with heart pierce I am not fan of cell siphon especially with that low health regen.
But I do not use her tools.at full potential yet jus the core neutral.

I actually use blood drive for cell restand shenanigans and better zoning.
Heart pierce is nice for the counter, they have to respect it, but the teleport gets blown all the time and ritual isnt that much useful outside very specific situations imo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I actually use blood drive for cell restand shenanigans and better zoning.
Heart pierce is nice for the counter, they have to respect it, but the teleport gets blown all the time and ritual isnt that much useful outside very specific situations imo.
You can still use the teleport to run away specially when you are getting cornered.
As the meta progresses you guys will see more and more why i prefer Heart Pierce over Blood Drive.
Heart pierce recovers way more health, nulifies flawless blocks, and has a better positioning
Blood Drive strugges up close, not to mention that siphon as been nerfed to shit, not only it recovers a pint of health but the +7 advantage it used to have on amplify was also reduced to +4, its pretty much her worst option now.

I decided to give heart pierce a shot, so far Im doing good, loving the counter, 150 damage amplified + 95 life steal is nearly 250 damage diference between you and the oponent, not to mention you can land a crushing blow later, good stuff.
I do miss my cell restands tho.

But one question about heart pierce: what do I do when oponent starts to d3 or d4 me out of counter?
And another: how do you "nullify perfect block"?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I decided to give heart pierce a shot, so far Im doing good, loving the counter, 150 damage amplified + 95 life steal is nearly 250 damage diference between you and the oponent, not to mention you can land a crushing blow later, good stuff.
I do miss my cell restands tho.

But one question about heart pierce: what do I do when oponent starts to d3 or d4 me out of counter?
And another: how do you "nullify perfect block"?
short hop against d3 or d4, or better yet, if you are plus, walk back and whiff punish with F2~db4
You can't nullify perfect block, but Skarlet has a lot of staggers so there is a different things you can throw out.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I do not agree with this. I am just a casual but hitconfirming D1 every time with every character (for me it is a fundamental of the game - without this I can not control the game properly).
I even try to hitconfirm and still hit S1 on hit.
My friend is a big masher I have to learn everything on "pro level" to make him stop doing it lol. Learning Skarlet's D1 into S1 was my first practice session and it was not that hard.
With Kabal I can be more lazy as 9F mid is "easy". :D

I found hitconfirming pokes a bit easier in MK11 it seems a bit slower on everything (probably more time on animation and recovery). But maybe I just pick "slower" characters. :)
Hitconfirming and inputting S1/2 with scorpion in MKX was more difficult to me lol.

I do not say it is easy but not impossible. Just need to focus when poking.
You can't hit confirm a poke. They are -3 on block and around +10 on hit and on average 7f startup.
The average speed players hit confirm is 23 frames.
The fastest is 19f
Pokes range from 6-12f on startup so none if them are hit confirmable into highs.
It's easier to hit confirm mids because you have a very large window to hit them while they can't duck.

Vastly

Noob
That's nice and all but you got it about 50% of the time when ur expecting it. I don't play skarlet but having similar issues with cage. If you Wana do this you cannot even vaguely hit confirm your strings so expect the d2 kb mash to blow you up on a blocked poke or just getting counter poked every time.

Don't know what it is with this game but the poke mashing is crazy. I just do d1 grab all the time to stop it.
Sadly when you play with better players on LAN they just let go of block and duck the grab and uppercut you for it. I hate this high system.

Darumm

Noob
Sadly when you play with better players on LAN they just let go of block and duck the grab and uppercut you for it. I hate this high system.
If they duck the throw you can make the read and try something else, like poking them again or using a mid starting string, if they always block and duck succesfully you can stagger, see what leaves you with advantage
Them ducking the throws opens up other options

Vastly

Noob
If they duck the throw you can make the read and try something else, like poking them again or using a mid starting string, if they always block and duck succesfully you can stagger, see what leaves you with advantage
Them ducking the throws opens up other options
Yes it opens up other options but Johnny's fast punishes are all high, so even if you guess right they are already ducking them. You could try to B2 but it's incredibly risky and if they read it and react by blocking at the last second you will get massively punished. Most of his stuff isn't very safe. They have given good advantage on some of his moves but those are all high and his mids are slow and are really bad on block. You constantly have to take risks with Johnny and if you are playing someone that knows Johnny well they will blow you up for it constantly. Just because ducking opens them up doesn't mean that it's that much of an advantage with the character because of how he is designed in my opinion. The mid starting strings aren't that fast so you can literally tell when he is starting to use them and block again.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Been trying to pick up skarlet and this has been bugging me to no end.

By the time I wait to see if d1 hit, it's too late to do s1 without getting poked out of it. So I guess the solution is to NOT wait to see... just MASH s1?
Call me old school, but I'm not a fan of that lol.

So I've been trying to do d1 into f4 instead.

Guess I need to play heart pierce but I really don't like that variation. Rip

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Been trying to pick up skarlet and this has been bugging me to no end.

By the time I wait to see if d1 hit, it's too late to do s1 without getting poked out of it. So I guess the solution is to NOT wait to see... just MASH s1?
Call me old school, but I'm not a fan of that lol.

So I've been trying to do d1 into f4 instead.

Guess I need to play heart pierce but I really don't like that variation. Rip
Its a 1f link, if they keep ducking with d1 and d2 under it means your timming its way late, its not a hit confirmable string it requires commitment.

Do the following, head over the traing mode and set a character to neutral crouch, then d1 into s1, when you manage to hit them before they crouch you're doing it right, if you want to get a good hit rate, i suggest you to learn the rythmic timing it offers, online its going to be a nightmare to land 1f links so instead of basing yourself under deceptive visual information stick with the rythmic tune you will get from the practice mode.

You can also step back and b1,2 most of d1s won't reach that far outside of Kitana's