What's new

Are players forced to respect Sonya's jump in?

Vagrant

Noob
The title pretty much sums it up. This is a question more for people who are fighting against sonya. I don't jump in that much with her but I like to find out as much about the psychological process of people playing against my char.

Do you refrain from ainti airing her for fear of eating a divekick for 40% or do you go for the AA?
Obviously certain armored AA's will also beat out divekick but I ask this question in a more general sense.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
At certain ranges it is incredibly hard to AA the divekick so yes sometimes you have to respect her jump ins. However divekick is full punishable on block and can also be spaced out and whiff punished. Its a thing that comes with playing against the brokeness that is sonya and her divekick.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I play Sonya and Smoke and when I play against a Sonya I feel like any dive kick that is not an instant dive kick is extremely risky. When I play as Sonya I try to just use the dive kick more conservatively since everything else she does is extremely safe I don't see that much reward there.

Basically, I use the DK mostly to punish counter pokes, and if I want to try to throw one out it will always be an instant DK instead of a high jump where I could cancel into DK or just go for the regular jump in.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
When I'm kitana, I don't fear her jumpins at all. Ex fan lift beats whatever she does.

When I'm Sonya, I've been hit out of divekick by Smoke's 2, so I don't think he has to fear it.

Anyone with armor shouldn't fear her jump in.

Vagrant

Noob
Good points from all. I think this mind game is much more character dependant. There are some chars that don't have to worry about it at all. ie. Kit

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
When I'm kitana, I don't fear her jumpins at all. Ex fan lift beats whatever she does.

When I'm Sonya, I've been hit out of divekick by Smoke's 2, so I don't think he has to fear it.

Its no spin/armour but standing 2 can anti air, its not a risk worth 40%+MS reset though, sonya is one of few characters where jumping at you is a mindgame.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.

Unless she's P1... Nothing more depressing than seeing the EX lift animation start and then suddenly you're balls deep in a 40% combo ;_;

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I noticed this earlier actually. I was watching old matches and no one was attempting to AA her jump ins. If you're low on meter she can jump all she wants, unless your spacing is really good at the moment.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I've gotten to the point where I'm just going to use armor every time she jumps in. She gets too much off of a successful jump in, whether it's just a blocked jip or landing a jip or divekick. Spending a bar of meter to get 30% and encourage her to stay on the ground is worth it

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Unless you're on chip damage I don't see why more people don't just let the Sonya player commit to their jump in, if you read and block the divekick you'll punish her for more than you would have AAing it.

(unless you're Jax or Scorpion which is a much bigger reason why those matchups are good for her than most foresee :()

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

He has to fear it, lmao. But ya standing 2 can beat it but it is SOOO dicey.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
Neutral jump punch brah.. Worst case scenario you eat an airborne divekick.. Unless the Sonya player anticipates that and attempts an air to air combo :(

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
If she's gonna jump in at all, why not jump? If she goes for JIP you'll be airborne, and it's the same way with the divekick.

Really though, why not? I'm genuinely curious.