What's new

Question - Brood Mother Are EX Bug Blast combos inconsistent depending on distance?

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
So, I had an epiphany today. I thought about how the frame data for Brood Mother's ex Bug Blast is only +8 on hit, but you can still link off it with a 12 frame move. I'd always assumed the data was wrong, but I wondered...what if it's not? Then how's it connecting?

The answer that came to mind was travel frames on the projectile allowing time to recover and link f1. I tested that hypothesis and was able to actually link b1~ex bug blast, f11 for the first time ever after months of trying to get that link by doing b1 at absolute max range.

This has lead me to yet another question. Am I just a scrub (yes), or is this link not actually possible depending on how close you are? Can anyone link me a video of b1~ex bug blast, f11 linking when done point blank? Or f22 in the corner? I'm actually quite curious now to know for certain if this combo isn't just tight as hell, but actually entirely inconsistent.

Second Saint

Yes the farther it hits the more hit advantage you have.

So mid screen if you do f22 ex bb you have like 1f to link f1. But if you jold ex bb just slightly so the hit stagger from f22 can push alittle farther. Youll have a 2f link instead.....lol buff brood mother.

@BillStickers
Yes, exactly, but is b1 even possible with out being max distance? I mean, 1 or 2f links are one thing, but the combos being undoable at most ranges is just insane!

Second Saint

i literally have spent 4 hours trying to link 112 ex bb 11b2 in corner, it finally linked. the inconsistency of this variation is traumatic.
Drives me crazy too, since just getting rid of this problem would make her actually pretty good. 50/50s into setups or a metered vortex with decent damage. Great stuff...but no, I now realize that it's not just an execution barrier I can't surmount that keeps these things out of reach, they're just impossible at a lot of the distances you'd start the combo at.

Fucking hell, what even is this...

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Yep, its spacing dependent, but I very rarely try these links for the following reasons:
  • If you miss the just frame link, an opponent option selecting (read: mashing) an armored launcher will win before you even know it missed.
  • Even if you do land them, the damage scaling is so severe that you'll add, at most, a few extra percent damage.
IMO the midscreen variations aren't worth it at all due to the scaling (just burn 2 bars if you really want to close out a round); 112 ex bb in the corner can actually net you some decent damage but again the risk isn't much in your favor especially if you're in a situation where your opponent is trying to prevent a loss and is mashing at every chance they get.

Second Saint

Yep, its spacing dependent, but I very rarely try these links for the following reasons:
  • If you miss the just frame link, an opponent option selecting (read: mashing) an armored launcher will win before you even know it missed.
  • Even if you do land them, the damage scaling is so severe that you'll add, at most, a few extra percent damage.
IMO the midscreen variations aren't worth it at all due to the scaling (just burn 2 bars if you really want to close out a round); 112 ex bb in the corner can actually net you some decent damage but again the risk isn't much in your favor especially if you're in a situation where your opponent is trying to prevent a loss and is mashing at every chance they get.
I think we talked about why you didn't do them at some point, and I definitely agree with you. It's just not worth it as it is, but she really should be able to do all this. I was ok with the idea of BM having one frame link combos. Sure, no one else really has links that tight as far as I'm aware, but if someone extremely skilled came along there's so much potential. Now, I'm realizing that it's not just a 1 frame link, but a spacing dependent gamble whether it works at all. Is practical access to all the tools she has not a reasonable thing to expect?

I just can't see the sense in this, or how spending 2 bars for the same combo makes it somehow good design. Maybe I'm being a little overdramatic, but this whole aspect of the character is a complete failure to me. It showcases the things that she could be capable of but just isn't for no adequate reason.