What's new

Arcade stick vs D-pad

Sorry if this has been posted or answered in another thread, but what is the difference in gameplay between arcade stick and d-pad? Does the arcade stick make it easier to do combos? Also what arcade stick(s) would you recommend for a first time arcade stick player? Thanks

Tremloc

Noob
as far as MK goes not much, because MK doesn't care about diagonals. Traditionally diagonals are difficult to do on dpads, which is why most players choose to use sticks when playing games where diagonals are registered (street fighter, for example).

With MK is honestly comes down to preference. I personally like playing with stick better, because I'm used to it and it feels better to me. There are plenty of other players who enjoy playing with the pad because it feels better to them.

That being said, if you're are playing on xbox (which I assume you are since you have linked your xbl gamertag) and want to use a pad, you should consider playing with a PS2 controller + converter. The dpad on the xbox controller is horrendous and it's a small investment for a significantly better play experience.

If you decide to go with stick then you can't go wrong with either the Madcatz TE fightstick or arcade in a box. Some people have mentioned how good the qanba sticks are but I don't have any experience with them.

aj1701

Noob
Its really just down to preference. I'm learning stick, but I think I make fewer execution errors. That is, hitting the wrong direction on the dpad. Also, having all the buttons on one surface has helped. I frequently would hit the triggers on the PS3 pad accidently, and I'd often fat finger the buttons. I still make mistakes on stick, but its because I'm learning and I think I'll be better in the end.

Its just prefence though. If you can get your hands on a decent used stick and try it, see if you like it better.

I think the recommendation is a Happ Competition bat for the actual stick, as its more fogiving than something like that Sanwa JLF, which is what I got (I didn't think about the happ being more forgiving before I ordered).

I've been interested in buying a stick for a while now (I plan to use it for MK9). I'm finding it hard to complete combos (ex. Sub-Zero 214 slide combo) and it seems as though I have to be super deliberate with diagonal inputs.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I actually find combo strings with Sub-Zero easier, but I'm having a hell of a time with dashing, especially in the middle of combos. I have to keep reminding myself that I've had months of practice with the d-pad, and only hours with the stick.

Panque

Random foreign guy
Qanba Q4 seems pretty amazing and works on both consoles + PC. I'd go with that, but it seems mk is ok on pad (Rarely see sticks on tournaments) and it's really expensive to ship to Brazil.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
The dial-a-combos are a LOT easier on the stick actually, its like typing. However, you're going to need practice to make sure you won't make mistakes jumping forward and backward (it took me a while) and it is harder to dash from right to left, but from left to right its the same. The inputs are a lot easier for fireballs, but I still find myself making mistakes here and there

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
How do people on pad play do the button charge moves in old school MK? I mean bike kick, ground pound etc in MK2-3.

Tim Static

Adminerator
How do people on pad play do the button charge moves in old school MK? I mean bike kick, ground pound etc in MK2-3.
no idea. i mean, i could do it on pad, but i couldnt pull off much else while charging, while on my stick, i can charge all day long and keep on doing whatever else.

aj1701

Noob
I've been interested in buying a stick for a while now (I plan to use it for MK9). I'm finding it hard to complete combos (ex. Sub-Zero 214 slide combo) and it seems as though I have to be super deliberate with diagonal inputs.
Talking about on a stick? It is, but once you get it down I've found it pretty easy. I've got a square gate, and you really need to feel hitting into the corner.

I actually find combo strings with Sub-Zero easier, but I'm having a hell of a time with dashing, especially in the middle of combos. I have to keep reminding myself that I've had months of practice with the d-pad, and only hours with the stick.
Ya, dashing in combos is brutal for me right now. Just hoping more practice will get my to move faster and more accurate.