What's new

Arcade stick questions!

Cooljaxx

Mkx is the name , Mix is the game
Aye Peeps :DOGE, my name is TJ_Alpha, also known as cooljaxxs38 in the twitch mk community. Recently I have chosen to save up For an arcade stick. Yet I have a few questions :

Q1 : what would be the best beginner Arcade stick I can get? Would I need any accessories for the stick?(cheapest yet most efficient?)

Q2 : as a Ferra torr main, would it be hard to master Ferra torr on the stick? And the same for cancels?

Q3 : which do you prefer, arcade stick or ps4 pad?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
A1: there are a couple things you could go for but honestly I would suggest building your own since it is cheaper and you have a great feeling of pride from building your own custom stick, but if you want to buy one them a good starter stick would probably be a hori real arcade pro v4 kai since it is high quality but not insanely expensive.
A2) I don't know I'm not a free torr main but learning a stick in general is difficult at first, it is a long term investment and can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months to learn
A3) I personally prefer stick but it is all personal preference. Having an arcade stick won't make you a better player.

Cooljaxx

So, what components would I need to build my own? And what would be a price range

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Fuck building your own, this is not the 90s any more. Once you get all pro you may want to do your own mods or build your own, but it is not even remotely worth it for new stick users.

Some small things about sticks..
  • A stick will not make you a better player. No matter what tool you use. Pad, Hitbox or Stick if you get gud with it, you will be a gud player. I do not believe in the idea that there is inherent advantage in one over the other. There are world champions using all types of input devices. It is really just personal preference.
  • Sticks are an expensive thing. When you buy a new system you need to buy a new stick, for the most part. As you get more and more into it sticks can get super pricey. 300+ easy, just for the stick. This cost becomes an additive to the price of a new console. Just something to consider. Every time you upgrade a console you get a free pad... just saying.
  • Sticks range hugely in cost. There us a "collector" aspect to them that drives up the price. Is a 300 buck stick objectively better than a 90buck one? Good question and one for nerds to bitch about forever. I say buy low, and if you feel you want to get a better one, then do. This is like being a drummer. Dose a beginner that can hardly tap a tune need a full 8 peace Pearl set to start.. no way in hell.
  • (This is opinion) Sticks are the best way to play fighting games. They connect you to not only the game in a tactile way pads and the hitbox do not but also to the history of ther FGC and its arcade roots. I know that those of us that were actually playing when arcades were the thing and there was no such thing as a home "console" is getting smaller and smaller. Still in my mind the stick is unmatches. No cramps, no strain just a great tactile device you can caress or pound those buttons as the mood takes you. Sticks rule.
  • There is a legit learning curve on sticks. You do not just pick up a guitar and be Jimmy Hendrix. Nor will you buy a stick and be able to handle it like Justin Wong.
Q1 : what would be the best beginner Arcade stick I can get? Would I need any accessories for the stick?(cheapest yet most efficient?)
Well this is the question isn't it. Recently I recommended in another thread the Qanba DRONE. You might have seen adds for it during EVO. This is imo one of the best "entry level" sticks. It is robust and has quality not seen in some of the other cheaper sticks and it looks frick'n awesome (yeah that matters with sticks : ) ).

This combines some of the things that makes these entry levels sticks cheaper but retains some of the awesome like weight and stuff. Compare it to the popular entry stick by MadCatz

This is actually a good stick as well btw.

I suggest you go to iplaywinner or shoryuken both those sites have massive review lists for sticks, and articles specifically for beginner stick buyers.

Q2 : as a Ferra torr main, would it be hard to master Ferra torr on the stick? And the same for cancels?
No idea I do not play them but sticks have no problems with cancels. If you are looking for the device with arguably the easiest inputs you want a HITBOX.

I do not think people can argue that this device has the cleanest inputs. Though it has a steep learning curve as it is so bizarre.

REMEMBER POINT ONE though... .the tool dose not make the player. ANY input device can do all that kind of stuff, if you get good with it.

Q3 : which do you prefer, arcade stick or ps4 pad?
Stick.. no contest.

Cooljaxx

I don't depend on the stick, I'm a good player with the regular controller. Just I wanna get into other fighting games like Tekken and sfv and I wanna learn the fight stick.

Cooljaxx

Fuck building your own, this is not the 90s any more. Once you get all pro you may want to do your own mods or build your own, but it is not even remotely worth it for new stick users.

Some small things about sticks..
  • A stick will not make you a better player. No matter what tool you use. Pad, Hitbox or Stick if you get gud with it, you will be a gud player. I do not believe in the idea that there is inherent advantage in one over the other. There are world champions using all types of input devices. It is really just personal preference.
  • Sticks are an expensive thing. When you buy a new system you need to buy a new stick, for the most part. As you get more and more into it sticks can get super pricey. 300+ easy, just for the stick. This cost becomes an additive to the price of a new console. Just something to consider. Every time you upgrade a console you get a free pad... just saying.
  • Sticks range hugely in cost. There us a "collector" aspect to them that drives up the price. Is a 300 buck stick objectively better than a 90buck one? Good question and one for nerds to bitch about forever. I say buy low, and if you feel you want to get a better one, then do. This is like being a drummer. Dose a beginner that can hardly tap a tune need a full 8 peace Pearl set to start.. no way in hell.
  • (This is opinion) Sticks are the best way to play fighting games. They connect you to not only the game in a tactile way pads and the hitbox do not but also to the history of ther FGC and its arcade roots. I know that those of us that were actually playing when arcades were the thing and there was no such thing as a home "console" is getting smaller and smaller. Still in my mind the stick is unmatches. No cramps, no strain just a great tactile device you can caress or pound those buttons as the mood takes you. Sticks rule.
  • There is a legit learning curve on sticks. You do not just pick up a guitar and be Jimmy Hendrix. Nor will you buy a stick and be able to handle it like Justin Wong.

Well this is the question isn't it. Recently I recommended in another thread the Qanba DRONE. You might have seen adds for it during EVO. This is imo one of the best "entry level" sticks. It is robust and has quality not seen in some of the other cheaper sticks and it looks frick'n awesome (yeah that matters with sticks : ) ).

This combines some of the things that makes these entry levels sticks cheaper but retains some of the awesome like weight and stuff. Compare it to the popular entry stick by MadCatz

This is actually a good stick as well btw.

I suggest you go to iplaywinner or shoryuken both those sites have massive review lists for sticks, and articles specifically for beginner stick buyers.

No idea I do not play them but sticks have no problems with cancels. If you are looking for the device with arguably the easiest inputs you want a HITBOX.

I do not think people can argue that this device has the cleanest inputs. Though it has a steep learning curve as it is so bizarre.

REMEMBER POINT ONE though... .the tool dose not make the player. ANY input device can do all that kind of stuff, if you get good with it.

Stick.. no contest.
And what about the Hori arcade pro v4 Kai? Would that be a good one?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
And I need a specific list. Don't forget this is a first. :oops:
http://support.focusattack.com/hc/en-us/articles/207447983-Definitive-list-of-parts-to-build-a-Fightstick

This has pretty much everything you need you can get the parts either from there or arcade shock. The most expensive thing is the PCP board. But if you are going to build one I would suggest the Brooks PCP convertor since it will work on the xbone. Ps4, Wii u, Xbox 360, ps3, and pc. And it is one of the easier PC's to set up since you don't need to know how to sauder to install any of the buttons, just how to use a screw driver. The most difficult thing is making the case. Which is also the most fun and customizable part. You can make it out of anything solid. Mine for example is made out of aluminum and has a high quality decal my uncle got me since he works at a print shop. But you can make it out oh a pizza box it you want or just wood or cardboard and paint your design on. When you build something like this from scratch it is a difficult experience. But it is doable. And it is very satisfying.

jmt

Noob
I've been playing on stick since 1992.

I played mk9, injustice, MKX, sf4 and I currently sf5 on stick.

I switched to pad for MKX though because it just works better.