What's new

Arcade Stick Layout?

I'm trying to figure out what the pros use when it comes to arcade sticks...

Two questions:

1. What arcade stick do most MK9 top player's prefer:
a. One with a Mortal Kombat layout style?
b. One with a Street Fighter layout style?

2. I have a Mad Catz Street Fighter arcade stick. Can someone tell me what button layout top player's prefer when using the Street Fighter stick?

Above, when I say "pros" I mean, in general, what stick/layout do most high-level players (the one's who actually use sticks) prefer.

Also, what button layout do high-level players prefer for the Mad Catz Street Fighter stick (since that is the stick I currently own)?

Kanvis

Noob
Mortal Kombat 9 is a strange game in that it never had a arcade release. Since there is no universal stick layout, I've has seen many different button layouts based on player preference. From the competition streams I have seen, most players use ether a Pad or the Mad Catz TE.

When I play on a TE, I map the Punch and Kicks Vertically, block and throw in the middle, mimicing the old-school MK layout; however, my friend perfer punch and kick configured horizontally.

Risergy

Superscrub
I experimented with a lot of different setups and found this one to be the most comfortable for me:

On my MadCatz TE:

Front Punch - Block - Back Punch
Front Kick - Stance - Back Kick

I tried using the setup that I see as the most common -- the 1,2,3,4 Tekken-like layout with Block at the lower-left -- but found having block in the middle makes it much easier to hit finger-dexterity-wise (and I finally understood why old-school MK machines had such a "weird" button layout). My defense got better and my block dashes became more fluid without my clumsy thumb getting in the way.

Plus, Block + Stance Change = 2-Button X-Ray. I've honestly been using X-Rays less and less but having it be a 2-Button command is a good shortcut if I need to use it.

I experimented with a lot of different setups and found this one to be the most comfortable for me:

On my MadCatz TE:

Front Punch - Block - Back Punch
Front Kick - Stance - Back Kick

I tried using the setup that I see as the most common -- the 1,2,3,4 Tekken-like layout with Block at the lower-left -- but found having block in the middle makes it much easier to hit finger-dexterity-wise (and I finally understood why old-school MK machines had such a "weird" button layout). My defense got better and my block dashes became more fluid without my clumsy thumb getting in the way.

Plus, Block + Stance Change = 2-Button X-Ray. I've honestly been using X-Rays less and less but having it be a 2-Button command is a good shortcut if I need to use it.
I was using Tag where your stance was and I had trouble comfortably doing X's. I totally forgot that X can eb 2 buttons. Back to the drawing board!

JrK

Probably Drunk
I use...

Front Punch - Block - Back Punch - Stance
Front Kick - Throw - Back Kick

Cause I'm noob!

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Tough to choose between the Klassic Kombat layout or a layout that is similar to SF since I play many FGs.
Probably going with the latter.
Klassic Kombat kontrols (in case one is not enlightened) are:
HP HK
BLK
LP LK

I'm using a MCZ TE S or better (the later models of MCZ with better PCBs and imo, nicer button feel.)
I'll probably go:
MCZ Layout
1 (FP) BLOCK 2 (BP)
3(FK) Stance 4(BK)

The Macros:
Klassic:

MCZ layout:
1+3 = Throw
3+4 = Stance
2+4 = Tag
Block & Stance = X-Ray
Block 3+4 = X-Ray

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
For an 8 button madcatz stick I use the following input

MK9:
1 2 BLK FS
3 4 TRW TAG

Injustce: I'm told that I am hella weird for doing this input but whatevs
1 2 3 Trait
MB Stage TRW FS

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
For an 8 button madcatz stick I use the following input

MK9:
1 2 BLK FS
3 4 TRW TAG

Injustce: I'm told that I am hella weird for doing this input but whatevs
1 2 3 Trait
MB Stage TRW FS
Yeah, that is an odd input, though peoples' opinions are trivial. If it woyks for youz that's all that mattahs...