What's new

Question Aquaman's trait

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Hey guys,

I'm finding that the interwebs don't seem to have a lot of info on his trait. The description is wonderfully vague. Can someone please fill us in on exactly how it works and how to apply it strategically?

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Basically you recover faster from hit stuns, so you will be able to use it when someone is hitting you with a string, and normally you can't block once a string has started to hit you, but with Aquaman's trait, it will allow you to block in between strings that you normally couldn't. It only works when you are grounded, once you have been juggled, don't use the trait cause it'll be a waste.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I wonder which BNBs it can get you out of... He's a great character, but this trait is kinda terrible
His trait isn't bad, you just gotta know when to use it. As long as you haven't already been launched up for a juggle, you can use it. A good example would be like if you already used you clash, and you opponent hits you with a string that is about to kill you, you can use it to block in the middle of the string.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
I didn't see that you made a thread, so I'll just re post my thoughts from the general thread:

I doubt there are any frame specifics on it, but this is what I have gathered:

-The trait lasts only a couple of seconds
-The trait can be activated at any time as long as it is ready (During neutral, while attacking and while being attacked both when you are in a combo or blocking a string)
-The ability is that the opponent who is hitting aquaman with a GROUNDED string, will get less hitstun when hitting, resulting in Aquaman "slipping" out of the combo and being able to block/do a move.
-The purpose of the trait will most likely be one of these:
1: Recognize you are being comboed and activate the trait to slip out of the combo (Maybe punish or interupt whe you "slip out")
2: Activate the trait pre emptively after unsafe strings or during neutral game to discourage people going on the offense, and use that to your advantage and start the zoning game over again.
-The counter to this trait will probably be to go straight to d+2, b+3/f+3 or just throw, but when used to "burst" in grounded combos, that won't be useful.
-The meta game might eventually change to people stopping their combos short to bait the trait and then throw or something else.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
His trait is really solid. It can effectively make you safer after an extremely unsafe move. Plus, if a characters punishing string is unsafe, you may be able to punish them. Which then leads to mind games of if they can go for the damage depending on whether you use the trait or not. The use of it will surely strengthen over time.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
As far as I can tell it does not effect hitstun at all, as other people said they believed it did. All it does it make grounded hits not longer combo.

When activating it, there seems to be a cooldown before you can actually block. Its not that long, but noticable.

His trait is extremely good against some chars, some chars not so much. I would say in general it is a very powerful trait.

well now that i know his trait can actually cancel some ground combos,i think it may be useful after all.
and there's another thing to his trait,just the fact that aquaman gets wet makes your opponent nervous and confused about what moves they will make,mind games as you said :D

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
From what I've read here, it sounds like you could use MB B3/F3 (armour) directly after activating his trait while you are being combo'd to punish someone punishing you.

Is this plausable? HGTV Soapboxfan SimSim Rampage254 GGA Dizzy
I have not tested this, but I can say almost assuredly no.

If you hit aquaman with a d1 without trait on, the hitstun is the same as if he had trait on.

If you are familar with 3D games at all, all his trait does is make strings (and specials canceled into) no longer naturally combo. All his hitstun animations are still the same (unlike Doomsday's trait)

Thead

Noob
I have not tested this, but I can say almost assuredly no.

If you hit aquaman with a d1 without trait on, the hitstun is the same as if he had trait on.

If you are familar with 3D games at all, all his trait does is make strings (and specials canceled into) no longer naturally combo. All his hitstun animations are still the same (unlike Doomsday's trait)
I'm familiar with fighting games. Maybe I should've waited until the game drops in the UK before I ask, so I can see/test for myself.

I realise D1 into something may be too fast. But other strings, that are slower more damaging punishes do not have bigger gaps between them? Big enough to armour through, as is the case with some strings in MK.

Or maybe I understand the purpose of Aquamans trait incorrectly, is it used purely so that you can block a string after the first hit has connected with you?

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm familiar with fighting games. Maybe I should've wait until the game drops in the UK before I ask, so I can see/test for myself.

I realise D1 into something may be too fast. But other strings, that are slower more damaging punishes do not have bigger gaps between them? Big enough to armour through, as is the case with some strings in MK.

Or maybe I understand the purpose of Aquamans trait incorrectly, is it used purely so that you can block a string after the first hit has connected with you?
Didn't mean offense if it came off like that, its just natural combo is a 3D specific term, since i've never seen a 2D game have anything that doesnt naturally combo. Just turns everything into fake advantage or "stagger".

Yes, as far as I can tell all it is used for it to block punishes and the such. Also, if someone is punishing with something unsafe, for example a GL wants to punish you with d1 lift, if you trait up in time, it allows you to block the lift and blow him up.

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Didn't mean offense if it came off like that, its just natural combo is a 3D specific term, since i've never seen a 2D game have anything that doesnt naturally combo. Just turns everything into fake advantage or "stagger".

Yes, as far as I can tell all it is used for it to block punishes and the such. Also, if someone is punishing with something unsafe, for example a GL wants to punish you with d1 lift, if you trait up in time, it allows you to block the lift and blow him up.
So AM with trait can punish punishes? Mind blown.

My question: Can he activate after a combo is started but not launched? For instance, GL 223 lift. Can he activate on the 223 part, block the lift and punish? If so, where's the downside? How would characters thY combo (all) beat him if he blows up your hit confirmed combos when the launcher comes out?

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

My question: Can he activate after a combo is started but not launched? For instance, GL 223 lift. Can he activate on the 223 part, block the lift and punish? If so, where's the downside? How would characters thY combo (all) beat him if he blows up your hit confirmed combos when the launcher comes out?
Yes but there seems to be a time restriction once you activate it before you can block. For your example, if you get hit by 223, and your trait after the first hit but before the 2nd hits, you will be allowed to block the 3rd hit. However if you trait after that, won't work and you just get knocked off the ground by the 3rd hit. So you have to use it a little early for it to kick in.

But yes you can use it at any time.

The general rule of thumb is you have to take 1 more hit after you activate while being combo-ed, but there is some exceptions.

Yes, as far as I know he cana ctivate at just about any time, regardless of hit stun/block stun/attack animation. The trait has a cooldown, and Aquaman can still get blown up by certain high-low mixups into launchers depending on timing and whatnot. He can also still be thrown and hit with instant launchers.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
How good the trait is really depends on how well characters can punish tons with an immediate launcher. I mean if it turns out the whole cast can do that and only lose 5 percent in their punish, then it won't be a big deal. I've been abusing the shit out of it though, and its been very successful so far. It's also awesome since aquaman seems to be pretty life lead based.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
lol. its more like the most op trait in the game. are you guys seriously discussing if its good enough?
I was questioning it before I tested it in the lab. You're right, it is OP. It breaks any string. The real trick is knowing when to activate it. You almost have to do it preemptively. Getting it to work in game is incredibly satisfying.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Two things I found tonight:
You can eliminate a lot of 50/50 mixups if one of the options are breakable with the trait.
You can press d+2 quickly followed by the trait to anti air people jumping in. If you some how miss your anti air and get hit by the jump in, the trait will make it safe anyway