What's new

Guide Aquaman Wakeup and Backdash Invulnerable Frames

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Alright Aquamains, I haven't seen this data posted anywhere so I'm going to ATTEMPT to get accurate frame data in practice shortly. I haven't done a whole lot of work as far as figuring data out in the past, so any advice/corrections are more than welcome!

Frames of Invulnerability on:
Wakeup Trident Rush- 7-8 Frames
Wakeup From the Deep- 0 Frames
Wakeup Water Shield- 6-7 Frames
Wakeup Trident Scoop- 8-9 Frames
Wakeup Trident Toss- 0 Frames
Backdash- ??

EDIT: I'm having troube finding his Backdash Invulnerability. It seems like a VERY small window, like 3-4 frames possibly (SPECULATION), but I was consistantly able to stuff Trident Rush and Trident Scoop. Water Shield can also be stuffed, but due to the fact that it has a few frames of Wakeup invulnerability, then gives you a shield, it's very tough to stuff. There seems to be a 1-2 frame window to blow Water Shield up, at least for me that'e enough reason to use this as a wakeup more.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Thanks for the info!

Does it mean that there is 1-2 frames after the invincible wake up frames of water shield where it is still not active?

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Thanks for the info!

Does it mean that there is 1-2 frames after the invincible wake up frames of water shield where it is still not active?
Yes, the way I'm seeing is lets say there are 8-9 frames before it's active (this is my guess, again I'm not great at this so it's likely off) the first 6 frames are invincible giving you a narrow window before the actual shield is active.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Yes, the way I'm seeing is lets say there are 8-9 frames before it's active (this is my guess, again I'm not great at this so it's likely off) the first 6 frames are invincible giving you a narrow window before the actual shield is active.
So a meaty with lots of active frames or a misstimed meaty will blow it up I guess:/ I assume you can't meterburn it before it's active?

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
So is this saying if you're doing wakeup to do either trident rush or trident scoop?
This is saying that EVERY one of Aquaman's wakeup options can be stuffed. Use what you feel the situation calls for, more often than not I use Water Shield and then burst when they attack

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
lol oh okay, i got you. i'm new to aquaman but i found i like him the most. them pokes!
One thing I've found that's under utilized as Aquaman is b2xxWater Shield, you have a lot of options out of this on either hit or block so you can always keep your opponent on their toes after a b2.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
In other words we are free to jump ins after knockdowns
relatively, the way I deal with jump-ins is to wakeup Water Shield and hopefully they don't hit me on the few frames I'm vulnerable, then burst. It's not much, but it's an option

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Batman and his ji2 and 3's insane range and speed always catch me.. My only option is to clench my teeth, trait if needed and hopefully gtfo. Lol

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
When aquaman is knocked down, hes definitely in trouble. Hes lacking in the wakeup department, the stuff posted in the OP pretty much matches my findings as well. Seemed like both scoop and rush had 8f of invincibility (meaning neither are fully invincible wakeups).

Also water shield seems to take 10 or more frames to startup. Haven't tried to see if its higher than 10.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
I honestly just don't bother with wakeups with Aquaman, period. Unless it's absolutely necessary (and proven to work) to escape certain setups, I don't think it's worth mashing anything on wakeup. I should probably experiment more with very specific situations to see if wakeups might work, but when in doubt, I just don't wake up.

I think this approach works well enough given how strong Aquaman becomes when you successfully block (or evade, in the case of grab oki) your way back to a neutral situation. Most characters with dirty oki, you have to win by handing them their ass at neutral anyway. Convert your random b1/b2 hits, pay attention to gaps where you can counterpoke with MB b3, and ALWAYS be prepared to anti-air when you enter d2 range.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
I honestly just don't bother with wakeups with Aquaman, period. Unless it's absolutely necessary (and proven to work) to escape certain setups, I don't think it's worth mashing anything on wakeup. I should probably experiment more with very specific situations to see if wakeups might work, but when in doubt, I just don't wake up.

I think this approach works well enough given how strong Aquaman becomes when you successfully block (or evade, in the case of grab oki) your way back to a neutral situation. Most characters with dirty oki, you have to win by handing them their ass at neutral anyway. Convert your random b1/b2 hits, pay attention to gaps where you can counterpoke with MB b3, and ALWAYS be prepared to anti-air when you enter d2 range.
I almost always just D2 anyone coming in. and if they are ready, i just throw.
Great commentary. I've tried using D2 as a wakeup with various degrees of success. I like the idea of simply blocking. I'm sure we all gotten into trouble trying to wake up as Aquaman.

I think exactly the same, great post indeed!