What's new

Strategy Aquaman Trident Rush (and some other thoughts)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey, I recently posted in the general thread asking about thoughts on trident rush. Since I hate typing out long stuff, I figured I would use a video. Here are my thoughts on the trident rush and a couple other small things. My thought is that trident rush is great unless you need to make up huge health and need to take bigger risks. But once Aquaman has a health lead, just chip away and loop trident rush and meter burn trident rush to just keep opening up that lead and force your opponent to take huge risks themselves.

Yea I agree trident rush meter burn is high risk high reward. Its either alot of damage or if they block the MB you pretty much get your meter back anyways.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yea I agree trident rush meter burn is high risk high reward. Its either alot of damage or if they block the MB you pretty much get your meter back anyways.
Wait how is it high risk? It is literally completely safe except against a few characters... It is kind of zero risk medium reward.

Odoyle

Drops combos
I was thinking against Supes if you popped your trait right before your trident or MB trident rush ended that you would only get hit by the F2 but stop the full combo. I don't see how the trait could be of much use of than that other than hitting the "oh shit button" when you're about to be whiff punished.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I was thinking against Supes if you popped your trait right before your trident or MB trident rush ended that you would only get hit by the F2 but stop the full combo. I don't see how the trait could be of much use of than that other than hitting the "oh shit button" when you're about to be whiff punished.
It depends. If you have a huge health lead, take your chip and do that. Otherwise there are other things that can be done. i will probably make a video on that at some point.

Odoyle

Drops combos
I'm a pretty busy guy but I main Aquaman. I've been in the lab a bit lately with a buddy of mine who mains Supes. I don't know if he just wasn't on point but after a F23 breath my B1 was having success against his F2. The pushback from the nerf puts it right in B1 range, maybe he just wasn't on point but I got excited hahaha (I won 95% of the time when we were grinding it over and over)

Wait how is it high risk? It is literally completely safe except against a few characters... It is kind of zero risk medium reward.
Well I guess I dont use trident rush enough I never have. I main aquaman as well. This video has inspired me to try it out alot more. I just never have used it in the way I use aquaman. Most of the combos I use have no place for TR. But Ive literally used aquaman so much that I need to do something different with him lol

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Well I guess I dont use trident rush enough I never have. I main aquaman as well. This video has inspired me to try it out alot more. I just never have used it in the way I use aquaman. Most of the combos I use have no place for TR. But Ive literally used aquaman so much that I need to do something different with him lol
Well, what are you doing? thats what this thread is about. Figuring out all our options.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Does this take more rotations if your opponent does not end up in the corner?
It depends on how many hits of ex trident you can get to hit. Sometimes it can be inconsistent. If you look in the video, I whiff some hits anyway, so it should be really close to this. I seriously doubt you are going to win a match by getting 9 mb tridents in a row on block anyway. Your opponent is going to try something else.

Well, what are you doing? thats what this thread is about. Figuring out all our options.
well it depends. I like using the b1 2 db2 b1 2 db2mb 22 db1 f2 1+3. Or I like the b3 j3 22 db2mb 22db1 223 (or of course f2 1+3 to end it depending on if the match is laggy) if my opponent is jumping at me to much. and of course you have the typical d2 on reaction to what they do to start off combos. Or i like to put pressure on them with j2 because that move is amazing.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
HGTV Soapboxfan

Keep in mind, I'm a total beginner with Aquaman, but I thought I'd share a few ideas. Hadn't watched the video yet, will catch up on it later. If you covered what I'm about to say in the video already, then excuse my ignorance.

Trident Rush on block, according to the in-game frame data, is -11. Same for the meter-burn version. So this can open the door for a full combo punish off of a d1 or anything else fast enough to counter it on block (I think). Knowing this, I wanted to think of a way to lessen the risk with Trident Rush...and I came up with the idea to move myself backwards while using the move, whether I meter-burn it or not. This doesn't eliminate the risk of being punished, but lessens it somewhat, and as the rush comes with an impressive hitbox you'll still get your desired chip damage and meter-building all while giving you some space to work with.

I also abuse Trident Rush off of d1 a lot when wanting to get out of pressure, when I don't have the trait available. I can't hit-confirm with my d1, so hoping to go for Low Scoop off of d1 is out of the question unless I have my trait on hand to cover for the risk...or Hell, I could probably Bounce Cancel into the overhead for two bars and hope it hits, but even if it gets blocked, I'm at advantage.

What do you think of this?

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Backing away against characters who punish this might be a big help.
We have testing to do to see if its worth giving up the damage though

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
HGTV Soapboxfan

Keep in mind, I'm a total beginner with Aquaman, but I thought I'd share a few ideas. Hadn't watched the video yet, will catch up on it later. If you covered what I'm about to say in the video already, then excuse my ignorance.

Trident Rush on block, according to the in-game frame data, is -11. Same for the meter-burn version. So this can open the door for a full combo punish off of a d1 or anything else fast enough to counter it on block (I think). Knowing this, I wanted to think of a way to lessen the risk with Trident Rush...and I came up with the idea to move myself backwards while using the move, whether I meter-burn it or not. This doesn't eliminate the risk of being punished, but lessens it somewhat, and as the rush comes with an impressive hitbox you'll still get your desired chip damage and meter-building all while giving you some space to work with.

I also abuse Trident Rush off of d1 a lot when wanting to get out of pressure, when I don't have the trait available. I can't hit-confirm with my d1, so hoping to go for Low Scoop off of d1 is out of the question unless I have my trait on hand to cover for the risk...or Hell, I could probably Bounce Cancel into the overhead for two bars and hope it hits, but even if it gets blocked, I'm at advantage.

Due to the push back, trident rush is safe against almost everything as far as I know. You are out of range of d1s and such. The only punishes for it that I know of are superman with fwd2 and super, and flash flying uppercut. You do have to space the trident rush correctly however, which I think is what you are getting at, to where you get the pushback you want, which takes some practice. I have no really used d1 rush much, but when I have it has been very successful. I want to try it out more as well. I probably wouldn't bounce cancel, because, as my video suggests, meter is very important for Aquaman. LEt me know what you think after the video, it is more about the advantages of cancelling strings into rush and mb rush.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
HGTV Soapboxfan

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the pushback negate most punish attempts?

Walking back is always a good option though, great for forcing whiffs too.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the pushback negate most punish attempts?

Walking back is always a good option though, great for forcing whiffs too.

The keywords being "most punish attempts." I'd think if anything helps to give Aquaman an edge in the match-ups where he can get punished, it's worth knowing. Otherwise, yes, the pushback it comes with while disregarding forward or backward movement helps to compensate for the block disadvantage. And as you said, the backwards movement can lead to openings against the opponent.

HGTV Soapboxfan - meter is indeed important to Aquaman, but the thing about Injustice is that it's incredibly easy to build meter just from doing anything. Taking damage, inflicting damage, chip damage, using specials - it's all there. But, I wasn't being too serious with the Bounce Cancel off a d1, LOL. It's not really a worthwhile option, maybe a once-in-a-while sort of thing.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
The keywords being "most punish attempts." I'd think if anything helps to give Aquaman an edge in the match-ups where he can get punished, it's worth knowing. Otherwise, yes, the pushback it comes with while disregarding forward or backward movement helps to compensate for the block disadvantage. And as you said, the backwards movement can lead to openings against the opponent.

HGTV Soapboxfan - meter is indeed important to Aquaman, but the thing about Injustice is that it's incredibly easy to build meter just from doing anything. Taking damage, inflicting damage, chip damage, using specials - it's all there. But, I wasn't being too serious with the Bounce Cancel off a d1, LOL. It's not really a worthwhile option, maybe a once-in-a-while sort of thing.
Haha okay. When you watch the video you will understand what I am saying. The video shows that you can kind of loop meter burn trident rush at least every few blockstrings because of how much meter is built by both regular and meter burn trident rush, and how quickly you can truly defeat your opponent once it gets going. I agree though, meter is usually not an issue, but every bar with aquaman is pretty much free damage with mb rush.