What's new

Aperture Science: Thinking with Portals

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Although seen as useless outside of resets, one of the craftiest tools in this game are Noob's portals.
They caress the opponent's minds in a way to make them react in ways they normally wouldn't.

As Saibot mainers, creativity with portals comes naturally.

When do you use portals? How do you use them? Setups?
And when is it clear that portals should be used for conditioning and tricks?

I'd like you to post anything you know [or speculate] about Noob's portals in this thread =D

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I just use portals for midscreen and corner resets (although i never done an INTENTIONAL corner reset on stream b4).

I think throwing out random portals is stupid

Reedoms

Noob
I use infront portal all the time. Almost guarantees them jumping and giving me a free shadow-tackle or use it in block strings instead of slide/tackle/upknee to really give em a hard time figuring out what I'm going to do (if they do decide to try and hit you, they will fall through the portal and give you a free combo). Corner resets are also nice with them. I can get upwards to about 80% if I can get them into one portal in the corner.

Pretty much after that initial patch that gave them better recovery I've been using them quite frequently.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
heres a few things i like to use
d4 ex portal
throwin out a b1 then back dash and do the full b1214 string (youd be surprised how often it works)
f333 slide to upknee to slide .... if they block the slide peeps tend to jump to try avoid another
d4 clone (obviously)
in corner f43 upknee 12 upknee b1214 ghost ball Xray (it works on SOME characters)
b21 ex portal
btw dont gimme a load of shit over postin ideas seems to be a lot of dat goin round lately... cheers

Reedoms

Noob
heres a few things i like to use
d4 ex portal
throwin out a b1 then back dash and do the full b1214 string (youd be surprised how often it works)
f333 slide to upknee to slide .... if they block the slide peeps tend to jump to try avoid another
d4 clone (obviously)
in corner f43 upknee 12 upknee b1214 ghost ball Xray (it works on SOME characters)
b21 ex portal
btw dont gimme a load of shit over postin ideas seems to be a lot of dat goin round lately... cheers
Only gripe I have with these is EX-Portal. They may catch some people off guard but all in all it's a waste of meter.
The rest are things I do a lot (except that corner combo)

fr stack

yeah its not somethin id throw out more than once in a match but it does catch some peeps off guard wen used sparingly:)

fr stack

so have any of u ever njp'd someone into your portal and is it possible to hit a second njp
example : i used my B1214 combo to above portal he blocked my string and tried to cross me up i njp'd him before he could crossover and he bounced into my portal ... shitty thing was my 3%njp finished him off so i dont know if i can connect a second one ... has this happened anyone else ? thoughts??

fr stack

well it turns out u can hit 2 njp's but it only registers de second one, a bit strange but cool lookin wen u pull it off-

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
IMO, Noob's portals need a buff. Normal portals should act like EX-portals do now, and EX-portals should be instant, akin to Scorpion's Hellfire - if you're standing on the spot when he does it, you get ported. But I don't main Noob, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
IMO, Noob's portals need a buff. Normal portals should act like EX-portals do now, and EX-portals should be instant, akin to Scorpion's Hellfire - if you're standing on the spot when he does it, you get ported. But I don't main Noob, so take it with a grain of salt.
grain of salt taken. Bad idea no offense

Reedoms

Noob
That would screw up his midscreen resets not to mention be extremely OP in the sense that you could get an instant unblockable 30% anywhere on screen.

Only thing I want with portals is maybe a little bit of frame lingering. I've seen people walk right over my infront-portal plenty of times even though it was still there or at least it showing completely when it's gone so I don't get so buttmad over it.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
grain of salt taken. Bad idea no offense
None taken. I should have spoken better - I was envisioning the same startup but with Scorpion's normal Hellfire properties - if they're jumping, it doesn't hit, and can't be combo'd at the end of a juggle. But giving it more thought, I agree - it's a bad idea.

fr stack

it would be nice if u could extend combos usin an ex portal ... take mileena she can do 3 ball rolls in one combo 1 regular and 2 ex i shat bricks wen it happened me earlier

Hitoshura

Head Cage
None taken. I should have spoken better - I was envisioning the same startup but with Scorpion's normal Hellfire properties - if they're jumping, it doesn't hit, and can't be combo'd at the end of a juggle. But giving it more thought, I agree - it's a bad idea.
problem with instant portal would be inescapable resets and we dnt want tht do we? lol

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I believe most people seriously underestimate the greatness of Noobs portals.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Against which characters do you guys use in front portals to catch certain wake ups? e.g. a sub zero trying to wake up slide after a b214 ~ in front portal. Their ass will slide right into that portal.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I'm no Saibot main, but I've had my ass handed to me by a portal set-up.

Here it is:
(Corner) Whatever combo into EX Portal, (opponent jumps) EX Up-Knee. #reset

I was so embarressed when I fell for it. :oops: