What's new

Anyone using 4k TVs? Does 35ms vs 20ms input lag make a big dif in Injustice 2?

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Yes, there are tournament standard monitors and they run between 1-2 ms delay. If you watch inputs on a low lag monitor and a big screen 4k tv the delay is apparent.
Yeah except players constantly complain about laggy monitors at these events and the more grassroots events won't have the tournament standard monitors. Regardless, buying one will only help if you're playing offline. However, since most people are playing online anyway, they will have to get used to offline monitors in any case. Unless you're super duper serious about this, I don't see why you'd get a smaller monitor when you can have a great looking TV that you can do a lot more with than play video games and still have decent input lag.

Yea, I only play on a nice monitor because I already owned it for PC Gaming. I don't even have a TV. Just get a nice TV and be happy.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. For one, I've been playing on a 50 inch TV for years (around 20 ms input lag) and haven't had many issues at offline tournaments. Just make sure you take the time to warm up on the monitors there.

Secondly, most tournaments don't have a zero input lag monitor (near impossible anyway.. the best I've seen is 0,7 ms) and unless it's something like IPS or CPT, there isn't a monitor standard to begin with, so you'll be dealing with variable input lag regardless when going to offline. Not to mention the difference between a 10ms input lag monitor (common) and a 20-25ms input lag television like mine isn't that enormous when you look at input delay (15ms = 0,9 frames of lag). That won't take a lot of getting used to if you play casuals before the tournament starts.

Lastly, most players are playing online anyway to practice, so we're all used to the online lag first and foremost. Regardless of how good your monitor is, you're gonna have to deal with that. So no matter what, you're gonna have to adjust to offline if you (like most) play online a lot. That <1 frame difference between a monitor and a tv doesn't even matter in that situation.

Just my two cents, based on logic.
This is how I'm leaning too. Love you rubmytaco

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
So Update:

I bought a 75inch Sony x900e. Played IGAU2 online and offline and I've noticed no input lag compared to my other 1080pHDTV. Might feel even faster than my old tv, but that probably says more about my old tv than anything. I've never played on a gaming monitor, so I guess my 2cents would be if you're used to playing on a TV and you buy a nice 4ktv then there really is no difference.

Also played BF1, Battlefront, Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda and more and there's no input lag.

Also, the TV is amazing. So huge a vivid and sharp.

9_Lives

Noob
Hard to tell with combos with some characters, but punishes, antiairs and blocking are waaaay better with little to no delay.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Hard to tell with combos with some characters, but punishes, antiairs and blocking are waaaay better with little to no delay.
I'd imagine, but I have no trouble AA with Aquaman and punishing what you are supposed to punish, but their built in 2 frame extra window I'm sure helps.

9_Lives

Noob
I'd imagine, but I have no trouble AA with Aquaman and punishing what you are supposed to punish, but their built in 2 frame extra window I'm sure helps.
That makes sense. I am sort of biased because I just blocked like 50 setups at this tournament I went to yesterday that I would never have survived if we weren't on a benq monitor lol.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
That makes sense. I am sort of biased because I just blocked like 50 setups at this tournament I went to yesterday that I would never have survived if we weren't on a benq monitor lol.
I'm honestly starting to wonder how much difference it really makes. I've been playing all my fighting games on my old tv, its not a gaming monitor, and I've really never had trouble blocking everything on reaction. I think the 20ms difference really doesn't matter as much as we think it does.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm honestly starting to wonder how much difference it really makes. I've been playing all my fighting games on my old tv, its not a gaming monitor, and I've really never had trouble blocking everything on reaction. I think the 20ms difference really doesn't matter as much as we think it does.
It depends on what you're blocking. Something like blocking a 18 to 20 frame overhead on reaction might be a problem, but if you're blocking a 25 to 30 frame F3, then it probably won't be.

Also, if you're playing online, you are already under lag so the added frames probably don't make as much of a difference..

The bigger difference is if you have hard kombos or need to do just frames. Some characters are more execution heavy than others.
Aquaman has one of the fastest D2s in the game, so that's probably helping.. If you were trying to do something like AAing Batman on reaction with maybe Atrocitus, then that would be harder to do, but it's already hard to do offline.

As you kan see from this, it's usually those things that are hard to do offline that are made worse with the subtle lag of the monitors. Although, there are some monitors that are so bad that you kan't use them offline for even basic kombos... lol.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
It depends on what you're blocking. Something like blocking a 18 to 20 frame overhead on reaction might be a problem, but if you're blocking a 25 to 30 frame F3, then it probably won't be.

Also, if you're playing online, you are already under lag so the added frames probably don't make as much of a difference..

The bigger difference is if you have hard kombos or need to do just frames. Some characters are more execution heavy than others.

Aquaman has one of the fastest D2s in the game, so that's probably helping.. If you were trying to do something like AAing Batman on reaction with maybe Atrocitus, then that would be harder to do, but it's already hard to do offline.

As you kan see from this, it's usually those things that are hard to do offline that are made worse with the subtle lag of the monitors. Although, there are some monitors that are so bad that you kan't use them offline for even basic kombos... lol.
My reactions always seem better than average but there's no way to react to a 6f starter no matter what tv, but with a 18-20 frame starter I dont feel like 1-2 frames makes much a difference. Never get to that "thats bullcrap i totally blocked that" stage in fighting games.

But I've never played on a gaming monitor maybe it'd be godmode and everything would seem super easy. But NRS combos are so braindead easy outside of WoWo and Robins b3 links.

But yeah online definitely doesnt seem to matter 4k or not.

9_Lives

Noob
The nicer the TV, the less time you have to spend relearning your timing on every aspect of gameplay if you go to offline events with monitors. I don't about the difference across TV's. I thought the question was about the difference between TV's and monitors which is huge imo.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
My reactions always seem better than average but there's no way to react to a 6f starter no matter what tv, but with a 18-20 frame starter I dont feel like 1-2 frames makes much a difference. Never get to that "thats bullcrap i totally blocked that" stage in fighting games.

But I've never played on a gaming monitor maybe it'd be godmode and everything would seem super easy. But NRS combos are so braindead easy outside of WoWo and Robins b3 links.

But yeah online definitely doesnt seem to matter 4k or not.
I think basic kombos in this game are usually pretty easy, but there are other characters that have difficult optimal kombos. Ivy is one example, and Scarecrow is another. If you try to do something like Scarecrow's Traumatize from Full Screen into teleport into F13, you'll see what I mean. And this is useful for a match-up like Aquaman since it punishes FTD anywhere on the screen this way.

I don't actually say something like "thats bullcrap i totally blocked that" when the lag is affecting my defense. Usually, I start taking note of how my window to react to some things has shortened. Like if I am trying to check a dash in, but they jump in, going for the anti-air is then a secondary reaction, so my window is then shorter because I was looking for the dash. In lag, I kan't prepare to react to as many things or I have to focus more on one specific aspect. The same goes for wiff punishing. I may not be getting hit because of the lag, but I'm still losing out on damage a lot of times.