What's new

Anyone using 4k TVs? Does 35ms vs 20ms input lag make a big dif in Injustice 2?

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Looking to buy a 4k tv, and using the rtings site they have all the new tvs reviewed with their input lag which obviously is super important to fighting games.

The lowest are going to be about 20 ms and the "good" average on nice tvs is mid to upper 30ms. I know tournaments are played on monitors. I cant figure out the input lag speed on my current RCA LED50B45RQ, and don't want to all of a sudden have no chance in fighting games because I a got a 4k tv.

Anyone have any experience with new 4k tvs? Which ones do you like?

I was thinking a Sony x900e, which has lower to mid 30ms, or the samsung family like mu6300 which has 19-21ms.

I feel like if you're worried about it, then you should just use a PC monitor to play your fighters.

Edit: What I mean by that is if you take it seriously enough that it matters at all, then just spend $100 on decent 1080p <10ms monitor to go with the TV.

That's almost a whole frame. So yes it matters a lot. I literally can't play on regular tvs anymore after switching to gaming monitors. Combos that I can hit 100x in a row become impossible.

And that's as a SF player. Injustice is gonna have tighter links and more difficult things to manually time.

That being said if it's the only thing you're going to play on you could learn it, but if you go anywhere else to play you're gonna get bopped.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
That being said if it's the only thing you're going to play on you could learn it, but if you go anywhere else to play you're gonna get bopped.
Good point, I could probably get used to it at home for a while, but I don't plan on going anywhere to win something. Money means nothing and I'm more into fighting games for casual fun. So if i only play on my home TV I'd just get used to it.

But does input lag mean I'd be losing a frame or two to react/block and such?

Good point, I could probably get used to it at home for a while, but I don't plan on going anywhere to win something. Money means nothing and I'm more into fighting games for casual fun. So if i only play on my home TV I'd just get used to it.

But does input lag mean I'd be losing a frame or two to react/block and such?
That's exactly what it means. And compared to a monitor you're losing 2+ frames with a tv that has 35 ms delay.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Soooooo if you want a big giant 75 inch 4k hdr tv you're basically screwed when it comes to fighting games and fps? The most expensive ones still have around 30ms, the only ones with super low for tv are 15-20 and their picture isnt the best and doesnt gave great hdr.

jmt

Noob
If you play exclusively on that tv and then try to play on a monitor at a tourney you are going to be in big trouble.

Rabbit

thugs bunny
a while back i played mkx online at a friends house on a curved 4k tv.
honestly it wasn't too bad but i wouldn't want to make a habit of playing with constant input delay.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
The problem is the numbers really mean little to me other than comparing it to each other, I have no idea what it really is like. Is it worth buying a slight worse TV because its 24ms over a slightly better TV because its 35ms.

Does anyone here have a 4k tv they use for IGAU2?

The problem is the numbers really mean little to me other than comparing it to each other, I have no idea what it really is like. Is it worth buying a slight worse TV because its 24ms over a slightly better TV because its 35ms.

Does anyone here have a 4k tv they use for IGAU2?

Just get a monitor. These consoles can't do 4k anyway. 1080p is all you need. You can get a bad ass TV and a a monitor to go with it. You can get 1080p 5ms monitors for ~$100.

And if your response is that it looks bad ass on a big TV, then just forget about the input lag and get a nice TV. If you never plan to play seriously, then what's the point? If you aren't planning on going to tournaments and such, then you aren't likely to be in situations where it's actually going to matter much or be the determining factor in your results. It is noticable, but you'll get used to it.

This is like trying to decide what scale length your electric guitar should be when you only play sometimes and are just learning. It doesn't matter.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
Looking to buy a 4k tv, and using the rtings site they have all the new tvs reviewed with their input lag which obviously is super important to fighting games.

The lowest are going to be about 20 ms and the "good" average on nice tvs is mid to upper 30ms. I know tournaments are played on monitors. I cant figure out the input lag speed on my current RCA LED50B45RQ, and don't want to all of a sudden have no chance in fighting games because I a got a 4k tv.

Anyone have any experience with new 4k tvs? Which ones do you like?

I was thinking a Sony x900e, which has lower to mid 30ms, or the samsung family like mu6300 which has 19-21ms.
Just get a monitor. These consoles can't do 4k anyway. 1080p is all you need. You can get a bad ass TV and a a monitor to go with it. You can get 1080p 5ms monitors for ~$100.
First off I wanna make sure I'm understanding what ms is measuring so bear with me. It is the amount of time the picture is going through "processing". So we see everything delayed by this much. Now if the source is steady that is the delay, but what happens as that source delays too? In other words, are there any instances when the ms created by the TV/Monitor gets compounded/multiplied, or can we consider this ms as constant? Appreciate any clarification offered.

In Regards to monitor buying,
With EVO around the corner there will likely be promo codes for quality monitors floating around so your better off waiting for deals, unless you find a good one now. But I've been looking and found 1ms for less than $200 USD. My win rate online is like 5%, as logged by the game, better on my monitor than my old TV . Far as i can tell by googling serial numbers there is only a 2.5ms difference between them.TV: 5ms ; Monitor:2-2.5. I'm just realizing manufacturer specs are probably not always true and i should dig deeper.

I am not sure this isn't just me playing better (obviously I'm learning MU's and maximizing punishes more) but it just feels better on my monitor. They're both 60Hz and those are the two stats that effect performance right, ? Honestly not sure on that.

Bottom line 30ms sounds horrible for online play, but maybe locally it won't matter as much, as you'll both be under the same delay.

Last edited:

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning

And if your response is that it looks bad ass on a big TV, then just forget about the input lag and get a nice TV. If you never plan to play seriously, then what's the point? If you aren't planning on going to tournaments and such, then you aren't likely to be in situations where it's actually going to matter much or be the determining factor in your results. It is noticable, but you'll get used to it.

This is like trying to decide what scale length your electric guitar should be when you only play sometimes and are just learning. It doesn't matter.
So I guess the thing is you can't play fighting games on 4k tvs or fps on 4k tvs.

And that's just silly.

Money isn't even an issue. No matter how much I go up you can't get the best picture with 15ms or lower input lag.

So I guess the thing is you can't play fighting games on 4k tvs or fps on 4k tvs.

And that's just silly.

Money isn't even an issue. No matter how much I go up you can't get the best picture with 15ms or lower input lag.

You can't play any games at 4k on console because consoles can't do 4k. It's basically all just upscaled. If you want to play with 4k then you need to get a PC. You can play anything you want on a 4k TV, you'll just have input lag. That only really matters if you are trying to be very competitive which you said you aren't. If you aren't going to play in tournaments and shit, just get a nice TV.

You aren't going to see monitor level performance and quality on large TVs for a while. At least nothing that's affordable. My 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms PC monitor retailed for $700-$800 when it was released. I purchased it on clearance sale for $500. The price of 4K panels with that type of performance is insane and they are no where near 75". A new model, high quality 4K 27-32" PC Monitor might be $2000. Current gen consoles aren't even capable of taking advantage of what those monitors offer.

It's not silly. It's just where things currently stand with the technology. PC Monitors are for serious gaming. TVs are for casual gaming. I use a PC monitor because I'm a PC gamer. I have to have a console to play games like Injustice 2. Now that's silly. PC is superior in every way, but consoles are mass market. The consoles are holding us all back.

Last edited:

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
You can't play any games at 4k on console because consoles can't do 4k. It's basically all just upscaled. If you want to play with 4k then you need to get a PC. You can play anything you want on a 4k TV, you'll just have input lag. That only really matters if you are trying to be very competitive which you said you aren't. If you aren't going to play in tournaments and shit, just get a nice TV.

You aren't going to see monitor level performance and quality on large TVs for a while. At least nothing that's affordable. My 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms PC monitor retailed for $700-$800 when it was released. I purchased it on clearance sale for $500. The price of 4K panels with that type of performance is insane and they are no where near 75". A new model, high quality 4K 27-32" PC Monitor might be $2000. Current gen consoles aren't even capable of taking advantage of what those monitors offer.

It's not silly. It's just where things currently stand with the technology. PC Monitors are for serious gaming. TVs are for casual gaming. I use a PC monitor because I'm a PC gamer. I have to have a console to play games like Injustice 2. Now that's silly. PC is superior in every way, but consoles are mass market. The consoles are holding us all back.
Maybe one day giant 4k tvs will have super low input times, but I guess not yet, they are way lower than 3 years ago, and what I've researched said most people are fine with it.

Im probably going to get the 75 inch Sony X900E, and see how that goes.

I always play on my monitor which has a 2ms. Recently connected to my TV which has 30 ms and I couldn't consistently hit B3 of bounces, had to go back to monitor.

You will notice the difference.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I play on a 4k TV and I haven't noticed major lag. It feels the same for me offline and online as long the ping is 130 or lower.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
20 is already a lot. Considering 35 is almost double that, it will probably be noticeable.
I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. For one, I've been playing on a 50 inch TV for years (around 20 ms input lag) and haven't had many issues at offline tournaments. Just make sure you take the time to warm up on the monitors there.

Secondly, most tournaments don't have a zero input lag monitor (near impossible anyway.. the best I've seen is 0,7 ms) and unless it's something like IPS or CPT, there isn't a monitor standard to begin with, so you'll be dealing with variable input lag regardless when going to offline. Not to mention the difference between a 10ms input lag monitor (common) and a 20-25ms input lag television like mine isn't that enormous when you look at input delay (15ms = 0,9 frames of lag). That won't take a lot of getting used to if you play casuals before the tournament starts.

Lastly, most players are playing online anyway to practice, so we're all used to the online lag first and foremost. Regardless of how good your monitor is, you're gonna have to deal with that. So no matter what, you're gonna have to adjust to offline if you (like most) play online a lot. That <1 frame difference between a monitor and a tv doesn't even matter in that situation.

Just my two cents, based on logic.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. For one, I've been playing on a 50 inch TV for years (around 20 ms input lag) and haven't had many issues at offline tournaments. Just make sure you take the time to warm up on the monitors there.

Secondly, most tournaments don't have a zero input lag monitor (near impossible anyway.. the best I've seen is 0,7 ms) and unless it's something like IPS or CPT, there isn't a monitor standard to begin with, so you'll be dealing with variable input lag regardless when going to offline. Not to mention the difference between a 10ms input lag monitor (common) and a 20-25ms input lag television like mine isn't that enormous when you look at input delay (15ms = 0,9 frames of lag). That won't take a lot of getting used to if you play casuals before the tournament starts.

Lastly, most players are playing online anyway to practice, so we're all used to the online lag first and foremost. Regardless of how good your monitor is, you're gonna have to deal with that. So no matter what, you're gonna have to adjust to offline if you (like most) play online a lot. That <1 difference between a monitor and a tv doesn't even matter in that situation.

this!
its not a big deal at least with nrs games.

Lastly, most players are playing online anyway to practice, so we're all used to the online lag first and foremost. Regardless of how good your monitor is, you're gonna have to deal with that. So no matter what, you're gonna have to adjust to offline if you (like most) play online a lot. That <1 frame difference between a monitor and a tv doesn't even matter in that situation.

Yes, there are tournament standard monitors and they run between 1-2 ms delay. If you watch inputs on a low lag monitor and a big screen 4k tv the delay is apparent.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Well I'll say this. I can do about 95% of the stuff required to do on my Samsung HD TV. Its around 24-36ms in delay on Game Mode. And at first I thought there was no difference. But I actually cant do any Robin combo that requires a B3 after sword dance. I can do it on a 2ms monitor. But at my home TV. Its not happening. And if that's the case it might explain some of my button input issues as well. Someone else can confirm or deny it. But its big enough a gap for me to not be able to do certain combos.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I have a 4k LG TV and in game mode Inj2 is very playable, but there's still a delay compared to my monitor.
You should use the TV for single player games, fps games are fine too, but i recommend a monitor if you wanna be competitive.