What's new

Any way to get good at throw teching?

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Is there a specific situation where you feel you always get thrown?

Like in the corner, or after a jump in punch?

Also, do you ever feel a throw coming and try to act, but get thrown?

If you read a throw, don't bother teching IMO, just duck and full combo punish with your character.

If a person likes to run up and throw, figure out which move/ normal you have in your arsenal to make them weary when you see them run, or intercept with a string at close proximity if you're sure it'll be a throw attempt to follow. If you are playing solid footsies, use the knowledge that they can run up and jump in, but can't cancel their run into a neutral jump to gauge the space at which it would take for them TO even grab you.

Or if you really want to tech the throw, keep in mind what position you/they are in. Which corner are you closest to? Left or right? Assume they plan to (and rightfully so) throw you into the corner. If it's left, mash 1, right mash 4 etc.

Throws are utility, not the adversary.

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of upset it has taken this long for someone to take the "MISTER TORGUE" name. Anyway, welcome to TYM.

But yeah, you can't really react to throws. Have to know it's coming.

When being juggled, mash throw tech like it's your job, and be aware your opponent will want to throw you into the corner.

Ducking is often much better than teching. If you can duck to tech the throw (that is, duck, don't block). Do that instead.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Easiest way I know how to train myself is just to record the AI doing a series of whatever mix ups I want, then combo the AI so I don't know where the recording is in the series. In your case, record throw + forward and throw then immediately hit reset.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I think NRS should have gone the extra mile and made it so that you have to guess the direction of the throw, must be not blocking, and tap the throw button an amount equvalent to how many hits the throw does.

This would make Kung Lao's throw untechable. But so are throws right now though, so it makes no difference.
:DOGE

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I tech more throws then actually land. Just be ready to recognize it and press a button. It comes easy to me, but if it didn't - I would set the cpu to do a tick throw - and practice blocking and teching the throw.

LEGEND

YES!
Don't. Unless you're getting combo'd, make the read and duck the throw. Then full combo punish.
Came in here to say this.

Only certain restand situations force you to guess which side you need to tech. Ducking and punishing throws is what you should do if you have the read on a throw attempt