What's new

Question - D'Vorah Any tips for a D'Vorah newcomer?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Hello everyone. I've been wanting to take up a secondary character and have had my eye on D'Vorah for quite some time. I like how she's completely different from my current main (Kitana) and her overall moveset in general.

I've looked into the various threads here and I gotta say, I'm a bit overwhelmed, lol. So, if I may, I'd like to ask a few generalized questions.

- First, which variation would be the best to start with?

- Are all variation viable?

- Just how important are WCs (Wasp cancels) in order to use her? Reason I ask is I'm willing to put in the time if it is absolutely necessary, but I won't bother with them if there is some less damaging, but effective, workaround.

- What is her main objective in the neutral? Does she go on the offensive, or wait for punishes?

- How does she handle zoners?

- Are there any other useful tips that a newcomer should know?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Fallen_sektor

I will show no mercy
Start with swarm Queen, cancels need to be on point, frame perfect, she is a rushdown char. But you could still use her in a very effective defensive way, walk back and catch them with 11 cancels. She has a safe 50/50 but personally i have a hard time confirming of the low, she is a counter-zoner so youll do good against them, the puddle is fast and something like +22
Check honeybee s dvorah, he might be the best dvorah out there

Most people who pick up D'Vorah will want to play Swarm Queen because it is her best variation. Cancels are so much more than just damaging...they are the basis of her entire pressure system. Without them, Swarm Queen is hardly better than Venomous.

If you don't feel like putting in the time, Venomous is a decent variation with a very low barrier to entry. It is one of the easiest variations in the game to learn. Plus, the green stuff dripping off of her hands looks cool.

Last edited:

Rozalin1780

Most people who pick up D'Vorah will want to play Swarm Queen because it is her best variation. Cancels are so much more than just damaging...they are the basis of her entire pressure system. Without them, Swarm Queen is hardly better than Venomous.

If you don't feel like putting in the time, Venomous is a decent variation with a very low barrier to entry. It is one of the easiest variations in the game to learn. Plus, the green stuff dripping off of her hands looks cool.
So basically, learn the cancels or don't bother with Swarm Queen. Upon my initial labbing of her, I found the cancels to be doable, but inconsistent. I've read the thread on how to do them properly (and their varying delays) which helps, but it's going to take a LOT of training to get them down I think.

I'll keep at it. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Easiest Variation: Venemous, could probably pick her up in a few days no problem. Just a lot of footsi game, and mind games. Fuckery online for sure, the combos are super simple. Obviously she's hella punishable and doesn't get much damage on any of her mixups, only punishers.

Hardest Variation: Swarm Queen, without a doubt the best. F112 WGC is +10... +10... a move that is +10 frames is so broke. However this character has such a massive learning curve. Would need finger aerobics done just to pull off her more damaging bnbs and pressure.

Useless variation: Brood Mother. Also so this char is not good. Fun for fucking around but definitely not viable for most any situations. Online or off.

Hooch27

Swarm Queen

Swarm Queen is far more superior but Venemous does have a few neat tricks, been playing her since day 1 and must say the cancels can be very inconsistant still but with alot of lab time im sure you could get it most of the time.

Brood Mother is not really viable, it is fun to bring to the lab now and again to search for some viable tech but Swarm Queen is the one to go with in my opinion.

- Just how important are WCs (Wasp cancels) in order to use her? Reason I ask is I'm willing to put in the time if it is absolutely necessary, but I won't bother with them if there is some less damaging, but effective, workaround.

Yes, the cancels are really big to her game, even though difficult it is very satisfying to learn what you can do with them when you get them down, the 112 cancel is probably going to be your strong point but she also has cancels off her B1 which is really difficult (especially online) that go into 212 swarm puddle for good damage. She also has cancels off her f22 and standing 4 too but 112 is the main starter after the f11 shoulder charge ExWG.

- What is her main objective in the neutral? Does she go on the offensive, or wait for punishes?

She is more of a rush down character definitely with the shoulder charge being a great tool (can also cancel directly off shoulder charge too). But her counter attacking play is great especially when you know the MUs and can punish moves on block with shoulder charge.

Sometimes it can be annoying when someone is good at zoning, but up 3 is great to evade low projectiles, she also has a crawling move with f42 (i think its 2 anyway but the move is called Krawler im sure) with is risky but looks cool when you pull it off against zoners to gain ground.

She is a very satisfying character to learn, even though she is a little OP especially with swarm queen in the corner she is very Plus but to be quite honest i just really like the character personally, i know many people call her boring and not cool i think shes great, but anyway hope I helped, enjoy :)

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Hello everyone. I've been wanting to take up a secondary character and have had my eye on D'Vorah for quite some time. I like how she's completely different from my current main (Kitana) and her overall moveset in general.

I've looked into the various threads here and I gotta say, I'm a bit overwhelmed, lol. So, if I may, I'd like to ask a few generalized questions.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm very late, but wanted to see if you're still playing her, and still enjoy her!

Rozalin1780

I'm very late, but wanted to see if you're still playing her, and still enjoy her!
I am still playing her as a secondary. I'm still inconsistant with WC's in Swarm Queen so I've been sticking with Venomous.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I am still playing her as a secondary. I'm still inconsistant with WC's in Swarm Queen so I've been sticking with Venomous.
Ahh. Thinking of picking her up. How many hours have you put into the cancels? Are they THAT hard?

SaJa

FH_FenriR
f22, rc, 2, rc, f11, rc and f112 rc are easy. 112 rc is harder and b1 rc is awfull. You gotta manage carefully the stamina.
Her upercut and standing 1 are good AA. She also has small hitbox.
2 and 11 are +2.
21 is -2.
f11 is neutral.
She can win vs jaqui's zoning just trading with db1.
Her only armor is ex ovipore.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
f22, rc, 2, rc, f11, rc and f112 rc are easy. 112 rc is harder and b1 rc is awfull. You gotta manage carefully the stamina.
Her upercut and standing 1 are good AA. She also has small hitbox.
2 and 11 are +2.
21 is -2.
She can win vs jaqui's zoning just trading with db1.
Her only armor is ex ovipore.
Do you know a TYM forum where it shows the data of how to do WC's?

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Frame data are in the game x)
I learned cancel doing 2 after them. Like f11, rc, 2 repeating the process until I felt good with the execution. I still strumble with low cancel 212 but I can do it easily finishing with 11 (u2 or 3)
113 is +2 but the last hit can be armored or backdashed.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Frame data are in the game x)
I learned cancel doing 2 after them. Like f11, rc, 2 repeating the process until I felt good with the execution. I still strumble with low cancel 212 but I can do it easily finishing with 11 (u2 or 3)
113 is +2 but the last hit can be armored or backdashed.
Ahh ok. =)

Rozalin1780

There's a guide that's stickied that gives advice on how to do them. It helped me somewhat, but I'm unable to do them on a consistent basis, especially online. Iabbed them for about an hour or two for a week before giving it up. Might go back and try for a third time. Anyone who does these consistently has my respect. :)

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I thought f112 wgc was +12?

But yea everyone pretty much answered everything. Once you get the cancels down, it'll just be muscle memory doing it for you. After that, start working on f112 wgc 2/212/112 or 3. All of that jails

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
F112 is +12. if u play dvorah you play swarm queen. you play swarm queen, you need to grind cancel timing. without it, you heavily handicap yourself.i am currently in the process of putting together a brand new swarm queen guide but that won't be out for a while