What's new

Any Help Would Be Appreciated!

Pangolin-man

My trusty sidekick is not amused!
Hello to everyone at TYM! I have been playing MKX since it came out and need help. I suck. I loved playing the first three MKs years ago and moved onto mostly PC games from the mid 90s to now. I usually play WOW and similar games. As for console, I stuck to action, RPG, and stealth.

I got back into fighting games with Injustice. I am a huge comic fan and saw how awesome Injustice looked and got back into fighting games as a result. Injustice led me to MK9 which brought me back to liking MK. I stopped following MK since MK4. None of the games looked good to me.

That being said, I love Injustice and enjoyed MK9. I really like MKX but I suck at it. I was never great with Injustice but I could usually win about 70% in on-line matches. With MKX, I am only at about 25-33%.

I have a lot more trouble connecting combos with MKX than I did in Injustice. I don't really know what I am doing wrong. I hope someone can explain to me the differences in timing and execution between Injustice and MKX.

Secondly, I thought it might be a character choice thing. I am a highly defensive player who prefers to keep people away, catch them when they make a mistake, and then combo off of it. With Injustice, I main Green Lantern, and second between Sinestro and Nightwing, although I am better at Sinestro. I noticed that my play style suits both Green Lantern and Sinestro well but not as much with Nightwing.

So, my favorite character in MK history is Reptile. I have tried to main him but find that I am getting bodied. He seems to be mostly rushdown which does not suit me. I suck at rushdown. I have been having a little more success, particularly landing his B2 and then connecting it with F2, 1, 1+3. But, I still can't pull off longer combos without dropping them most of the time. I recently picked up Ermac and having been having more succes with him because he seems to be the Green Lantern of the game with catching people out the air and people not blocking on the ground.

In conclusion, which characters should I really look at to work on and main in MKX? As I said before, I am a highly defensive player who prefers to catch people making mistakes. The way I see it, the best characters for that are the following:

1. Ermac - All variations, but I like Mystic the most.
2. Sub-zero - Unbreakable
3. Quan Chi - All variations

The characters that I like the most are the following;
1. Reptile
2. Ermac
3. Raiden
4. Sub-zero - although everybody seems to play him; probably the most popular character in the game
5. D'Vorah
6. Shinnock
7. Quan Chi
8. Tanya
9. Kitana - Mournful only; Jade was my favorite female character but since she isn't in the game this is the only option.
10. Predator and Tremor - I will definitely try these two when they come out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I play for fun and am not going to be a great tournament player. But, I like the game, will try to help out members in the community when I can, and just want to level up and be more competitive. I welcome all advice. I look forward to the community's opinion.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Try kenshi, he is a mother fucking badass and his balanced variation is very defense based specializing in keeping people out, if you want I can even teach you him if you are on ps4