What's new

Any Guitarists on TYM?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Ive been getting more into playing over the past few months and dont get to discuss it with many people, so I thought here might be a good place to start.

Feel free to talk about anything, your music, your idols, tunings, theory, etc.

Edit: I guess I'll start off with a question:

What is your favorite tuning and why?

Error

DF2+R2
I play bass if you change your mind.
Hory shet, me too

I'm tuned to standard right now, but for the past year my 4 string has been tuned BEAD.

I don't know much about theory, I'm self taught, been playing for 2 years, but I haven't looked too deeply into it.

If funds come through I'm seriously considering buying a 5 string.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I haven't experimented a lot with tunings outside of open A and easy stuff like that. I like how Dillinger plays in standard, so I always like to play in that or drop up to a full step for stuff like Between the Buried and Me.

Pretty sure @AK Pig Of The Hut is a great guitarist.

I play bass if you change your mind.
Yeah he's really good. There's a video of him playing my favorite solo somewhere (Winona's Big Brown Beaver). I also play bass! I think every Primus fan eventually wants to learn slap bass.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I haven't experimented a lot with tunings outside of open A and easy stuff like that. I like how Dillinger plays in standard, so I always like to play in that or drop up to a full step for stuff like Between the Buried and Me.

Yeah he's really good. There's a video of him playing my favorite solo somewhere (Winona's Big Brown Beaver). I also play bass! I think every Primus fan eventually wants to learn slap bass.
This is it from 2006 (Jesus 8 years ago, seems weird)

ryublaze

Noob
@AK Pig Of The Hut wow ur really good lol what does it take to be able to play that good?

As for me, I've been playing for 7 years but I stopped taking it seriously for the past 3-4 years. I used to play electric guitar but switched to acoustic. I'm thinking about getting back into guitar after college...right now I just know the basics like pentatonic scale lol.

Pig Of The Hut

Is that a John 5 Tele? Original run with the different headstock that allowed for behind the nut bends?
Mexican original but refurbished USA parts and better pickups

I covered all of his songs from first 3 solo albums :)

Shit is awesome

Pig Of The Hut

@AK Pig Of The Hut wow ur really good lol what does it take to be able to play that good?

As for me, I've been playing for 7 years but I stopped taking it seriously for the past 3-4 years. I used to play electric guitar but switched to acoustic. I'm thinking about getting back into guitar after college...right now I just know the basics like pentatonic scale lol.
That was 8 years ago

Taught guitar age 20-28 played since I was 14 and honestly music was 100% my life until march 2012

I use to practice an insane amount until then

Pig Of The Hut

Btw if anyone wants to talk theory , has questions id be glad to do your theory homework :)

I did once absolutely love it and it literally was my life

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Btw if anyone wants to talk theory , has questions id be glad to do your theory homework :)

I find the theory the most interesting part actually. Kind of like a huge puzzle you have to fit together.

Pig Of The Hut

Practice. The answer is always practice.

At least that is what I tell myself in order to motivate to practice lol
No you're right

Absolutely practice

I'd STRONGLY recommend every serious musician to read the book "outliers"

Not just musician, anyone who ever wanted to understand how to truly be "great" at something

Book is awesome

Am I remembering correct u are in medical school?

I been wanting to learn guitar, don't know where to start, Lol. My friend casually plays and I can't coordinate frets, strings and strumming, I'm guessing you just get better at knowing where things are the more you play?

Was thinking of taking guitar classes...

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I play piano, bass, and a very shitty guitar, though I enjoy playing. I also compose electronic music. I'm always down to talk shop. How long have you been playing, @Zoidberg747 ?

@AK Pig Of The Hut are your chops still up right now? Seeing your old vids makes me want to practice more haha. The past year, life has been really busy and I haven't been playing much... now I suddenly feel like I need to be putting in time again each day.

ryublaze

Noob
I know I should practice, I just don't know what to practice. I tried memerizing the different scales like ionian and mixolydean but could never get them down... I also took AP Music Theory in high school, I kinda forgot a lot of it. :oops:

Pig Of The Hut

I been wanting to learn guitar, don't know where to start, Lol. My friend casually plays and I can't coordinate frets, strings and strumming, I'm guessing you just get better at knowing where things are the more you play?

I can teach u every note on the guitar every string and fret in 3 mins

That's a great start

Then there's exercises I would ask u to do to be able to look at the guitar and see notes and patterns vs strings and frets

Then scales

Then understanding what forms a scale and what makes a chord

Then comes keys and modes

Its all is a progressive process but starting w knowing notes is great and makes things much easier

Skkra

PSN: Skkra

Lessons can definitely help if you have no prior music experience, but you can also teach yourself. I took piano lessons as a little kid and it gave me a musical grounding. Then I taught myself bass and guitar. If you've played something before, you'll probably have a much easier time teaching yourself.