What's new

Any Advice for New Stick learners?

GhosT

Noob
There's proper ways to holding a ball top so you don't get fatigued. Same with finger placement, it shouldn't be stiff and robotic like. When you move a joystick, it should be fluid and loose not jerky, like moving your hand underwater.

2 common ways to hold it are the 'natural way' and from the bottom, like how you would grip a Baseball.

4 gate would be better suited for MK.
I'm actually doing pretty good with fatigue and i don't feel like I'm beating the stick to death. I had a good deal of knowledge with mk9 from my pad days, so I'm not mashing due to not knowing proper timing, i think for me its going to be deleting my pad muscle memory, and building new muscle memory, which is going to take some time surely. I think your right about 4 way gates, as far as general movement the 4 way was much easier to adjust, but when it came to combing with the 1/4 turn specials (raidens shocker) for instance, i was getting a lot higher success rate with the 8 way, Maybe ill keep using 8 way and my movements and stick sensitivity will adjust to the gate.

Not to mention i play on learning to play AE at a higher level than what I'm at now, which is SCRUB level. So i think 8 way is gonna pay off most and id rather get used to one gate than two, I'm having enough issues without needing to learn to play two gates. Oh yeah i play ken masters, shury'z gotta be easier on an 8way.. (i haven't played sf since i got the stick) so don't beat me up if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the interest, and thanks for the tips. Keep em coming!

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I map my buttons as follows, seeing that I'm old and can't see the block button being anywhere but in the middle.

FP Throw BP
FK BLK BK

GhosT

Noob
I map my buttons as follows, seeing that I'm old and can't see the block button being anywhere but in the middle.

FP Throw BP
FK BLK BK
yes my buttons are the same, except i have switch stance in place of throw, For now ill use fp+fk to throw, once I'm used to the stick more, ill put throw back in where you have it, for now i don't want to be hitting throw by mistake, those damn sanwa buttons are beyond sensitive..

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Pop some Seimitsu buttons in there if you dislike the sensitivity. Once you go Seimitsu, ye never turn back. Nothing wrong with Sanwa though, complete quality, but more sensitive than an Emo after coming out of a showing of Twilight.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Pop some Seimitsu buttons in there if you dislike the sensitivity. Once you go Seimitsu, ye never turn back. Nothing wrong with Sanwa though, complete quality, but more sensitive than an Emo after coming out of a showing of Twilight.
lol IL FOR LIFE for me :coffee:

Victor how is it going L2D?

GhosT

Noob
Seimitsu buttons are screw in only right? And i can use them in any 30mm sized hole? I ask cuz I'm new to sticks and don't see any threads on the stick so I'm not sure how i would put them in. If its as simple as changing a gate ill go for it.