What's new

Tech - Cutthroat Anti x-ray/armor upball tech

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
This applies to all variations, except that Cutthroat and Commando will benefit from this a lot more than Cybernetic due to their mix-up potential. Remember when in MK9 you would occasionally make an x-ray whiff by upballing? Now that Kano has lots of 0 on block moves and upball is 6 frames and has 2 hits to stuff certain armored moves there is a way to recreate this situation on a hard read.

How to test: do any of Kano's strings that are 0 on block and immediately do upball afterwards, set the dummy to block and do their armored ex version reversal, let's cover every character and variation in the game and list them here. This might also work between 0 to -5 on block but let's use the 0 on block moves. Kano will be at +1 due to block button release requiring 1 frame and upball properly executed after throwing out a move that's 0 on block will be a frame trap. Your opponent may be more inclined to armor in these situations if they are scared about the command grab or 50/50 mix-up. The purpose of the YOLO upball is not to do damage, but to condition your opponent to block or backdash so they can be opened up for mix-ups.

What I have tested so far:

Erron Black (Outlaw): Upball beats everything. X-ray whiffs and Erron takes both hits of upball. Kano recovers in time to whiff punish the x-ray. ex Command grab and ex slide take the first hit and Kano doesn't get hit. Slide leaves the situation at neutral, ex command grab whiff leaves Erron at advantage, but not enough to punish Kano. Sand toss gets stuffed and Erron takes both hits. Upball also beats Tarkatan stab clean.

Jax (all variations): Only x-ray whiffs, other armored moves will hit Kano out of upball. Depending on the depth of the blocked move before the upball Kano may go through Jax with only the 1st hit of upball hitting Jax, leaving the situation at neutral or Kano may hit Jax with both hits of upball, leaving Kano at a disadvantage at close range, Jax's 1 jab may or may not punish Kano in the latter situation.

Ok I'll test more characters later, or if you guys wanna help just do Kano's standing 2, then upball on dummy with the dummy set to do reversals. I just wanted to get this out there.