What's new

Anti-Air Forceball...Neutral jump

I watched every second of Mortal Kombat streams this weekend...and one thing I never saw from a reptile player was Neutral jump after an anti-air forceball connected. For Example...
Slow Forceball (anti-airs), NJ 1, 32 Fast Forceball, 321 slide for 30%. as opposed to leaving out the NJ 1/2 which only does 26%.

Now some might state that its only 4% extra damage...but I find that it is very easy to pull this off because the timing on this NJ punch is not strict at all. So why not take the extra 4% damage if the opportunity arises.

I'm just throwing this out there because I don't know if all Reptile players even know about this. Just trying to help educate where I can. So incase you did not...here is an extra 4% damage you can add to your game.

Also Mad props to all Reptile showings this weekend. Congrats to Wonder Chef, Arturo, and definitely Chris G in his win at CEO... Amazing Performances!!!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
They haven't? (I haven't watched all the matches)

I've been using that for a while, actually. I'm surprised no one else has. You can NJP after a grounded forceball, too, like after 122 xx fast forceball.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
ChrisG didnt use the elbow whiff combo either lol.. at least in the matches i saw.
The risk outweighs the reward of the 321 dash NJP FB 32 FB 321 slide imo. Missing that NJP hurts and man, I just cannot get it 100% of the time. I've found that repeatedly using 321 slide then mixing up a 122 FB 32 FB 321 slide works much better. 321 slide/green hand does great chip damage and it sets up some nice mind games.

Reptile is certainly less of a combo heavy character in the meta games, but that's okay. His punishes rock and his rush down is great.

Griefa

Noob
What's up iniquity? We just played like 2 minutes ago! The main issue imo with the NJ in his combos is the online factor. It seems high % offline, but the input delay just ruins the combo. Trying to calibrate the neutral jumps for each individual online opponent just seems to be too much hassle. I find the 122fb, NJ setup to be much higher % online. If you are ever down for some more online games hit me up man, we seem to ping really well and I dont have many good reptiles to practice against.

And to the above poster, Chris doesnt get too fancy with his combos. He goes for high % consistent damage ones. I've seen quite a few of his matches and he never does anything too crazy, which is smart. He likes the 122fb bnb setup a lot.

GNG Iniquity

Haha hey man, always good to run into another forum member randomly! Certainly down for some games in the future, trying to decide on a new alt, dropped Kano for Rep recently. MichaelAngelo has revitalized my interest in Kabal, but I can't get the robotic dash cancels into my F3 2 strings quite yet, that's rough to do!

But yeah, I totally agree with the NJP following the 122 FB; I'd say in general quite honestly...even in offline that dash to NJP is just a big gamble. Chris G has appeared to have dropped his 321 dash patented string too!

321 slide NJP is just far too...variable. I'd love to use it, it's great flash but it seems unanimous that it's far too much of a gamble.

Griefa

Noob
Yeah I agree man, Im a big fan of consistency.

I picked up Kano when I heard they were nerfing the upball on block, so he's gonna be my alt along with Raiden. Sorry if I spammed it a bit too much vs you, I was trying to hit it only when I thought for sure you weren't blocking.

GNG Iniquity

Yeah I agree man, Im a big fan of consistency.

I picked up Kano when I heard they were nerfing the upball on block, so he's gonna be my alt along with Raiden. Sorry if I spammed it a bit too much vs you, I was trying to hit it only when I thought for sure you weren't blocking.
No worries man, I used to play him, I deserve to be hit with a few lol! The only way I know how to punish it is by blocking and throwing, but that's not a guaranteed punish, hopefully my experiment in the lab later with distancing a bit and throwing a FB out works well.

His up ball pre-patch could be punished though, so hopefully they will revert back to that, I'd like to see more recovery on the up ball and less recovery on his air ball/horizontal ball. I loved using the balls but man, they're so punishable that it's just pointless to use 'em.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Thanks for the props.

I actually never thought of doing that... I probably get more anti airs with EX Forceballs than anybody too...

I'll start doing that, thanks.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Okay, I just realized there's no Combo thread for Reptile...

In the spirit of this thread, since I learned something I figure I'll contribute with two other combo opportunities that I rarely see people take advantage of.

The more common one is EX Dash to get yourself out of the corner:

Now the one I've NEVER seen is landing a straight overhead in the corner. I'm a huge fan of ending 3 2 1 blocked with Green Hand or doing cr.4 xx Green Hand, so I figured there must be a way to follow it up aside from Slide:

I think this last one at least is totally new technology.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah, I don't see ANYONE use this stuff. Though the naked acid hand stuff is new for sure.

That reminds me...124. I want to explore that string now.

GNG Iniquity

That reminds me...124. I want to explore that string now.
Been playing around with 124 a little bit, this string strikes me as pretty bad, quite honestly. Well, at least in terms of rush downs, the mixup game stinks and the damage compared to 321 is awful. At least you can set the 122 up with the mid into a forceball making it worth the risk. The string itself only does 7% damage, where 321 does 13% damage, is faster and has the same mix up options and the slide can be used to bump it to 19% damage. 21% damage with green hand in the corner; certainly much more using EX green hand and following it with a nice wall combo.

124 might be viable in the corner though, see if you can find something good there!

edit 124 green hand in the corner following a juggle isn't half bad. I think it does have some possibilities there. Try it out with F2 B1. F2 B1x3 123 slide does 28%...problem is 321 as opposed to 123 does 32% =/

Yea i use a variation of the first one all the time... the second video is NEW and "Off the Chain" awesome!!

Also while were throwing out new techniques: I like to end alot combo's in the corner with: F3,1+2... The the last hit (1+2) doesn't add to the combo damage...but yet adds a 7% to the end... and as far as I can tell they can't block it... at least no one I've played has blocked it and the AI (when set to Auto Block) does not block it either....

Here is the video of the combo that ends w/ F3, 1+2... sorry for the bad quality but its all I got... If you can see...the combo does 39% but the 1+2 at the end adds another 7% I guess we just need some confirmation as to whether that can be blocked or not

GNG Iniquity

Here is the video of the combo that ends w/ F3, 1+2
That's a nice corner combo, man! I use a variation of that generally as well. Would you mind typing the string out? I've got my laptop dimmed at the moment and I can't see it too well lol

That's a nice corner combo, man! I use a variation of that generally as well. Would you mind typing the string out? I've got my laptop dimmed at the moment and I can't see it too well lol
No problem...I understand that the quality is terrible.... just a quick Iphone vid...haha

321xxAcidHand, 321xxSlowFB, 32xxEXFastFB, F3,2+1

I'm not sure why I didn't do it in the video but you can actually throw in an extra hit before the EXFast Forceball: So you could do:
321xxAcidHand, 321xxSlowFB, 321xxEXFastFB, F3,2+1

The timing is a little funny when you throw in the 1 before the EXFast FB...if you're too quick you'll knock em out of the corner.

EGP Wonder_Chef

The f+3 1+2 can be blocked unfortunately. I was messing with this string a lot since it's so weird and so badass looking.

I was experimenting with F3,2+1 a while ago, but could never do it consistently enough for it to seem practical. Is it easier with the PDP stick? Pressing 2+1 on a PS3 or XBox controller is awkward as Hell.

The f+3 1+2 can be blocked unfortunately. I was messing with this string a lot since it's so weird and so badass looking.
Yea I figured as much... Damn broken training mode...doesn't always tell you the whole story. Do you know what happens when its blocked...because they will be on the ground and the 1+2 is an overhead (I believe). So even if they hold block on the ground, shouldn't 1+2 hit??

@Aluscardum...yea it is much easier on a stick

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
i have actually been using d1 after acid hand in the corner for shenanigans since launch. finish off with acid slide or x-ray either work

EGP Wonder_Chef

Yeah I've been doing cr.1 xx Slide to finish it up, but I figured there must be something more.

You can also do some stuff with EX Forceball in the combo. Can anyone else find any better followups?

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Griefa, Bas Rutten fan... niiiiiiiiice!

Honestly I butcher the elbow dash combo often online and usually I just do 1, 2, 2 string to be safe. If the game has little lag I'll try the elbow dash combo but messing it up only results in like 17% while the 1, 2, 2 is guaranteed 30%.