What's new

Question - Kung Jin Ancestral vs Bo Jutsu Post Patch

Nybear

Noob
With the damage gap between the two now being smaller, does Ancestral's utility make up for that gap better? Have we entered the Green Arrow era, or does Bo Jutsu still have enough of a difference to keep it on top?

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Well optimal ancestral stuff is doing roughly a couple % less than bojutsu now. I'm not sure if it's worth switching yet, but I don't think people should count out any variation yet.

The armored launcher and ease of use of bojutsu is obviously really important though.

anyone play jae_maester on PS4
ancestral was already on the same lvl and maybe even the overall stronger version before the patch came out imo
I did run a FT10 vs him and this guy has opened my eyes
plus I dont think chris g's only reason running ancestral over bojutsu before the patch was because he liked green arrow in IGAU
many ppl just havent figured out the real potential ancestral has

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
plus I dont think chris g's only reason running ancestral over bojutsu before the patch was because he liked green arrow in IGAU
I'm pretty sure he played GA back then either to make a statement or, more likely, just for shits and giggles and same applies here.

I don't know about his potential, but watching his game against Digit I couldn't help but think how he had to land a mixup only to safely setup himself for better combo next time he opens Digit up, and when he could actually hit Digit for another go while having arrow out, he could do his full combo which would do Bojutsu damage... if you add the damage from previous string that allowed him to load arrow in the first place.

Outside of that, Ancestral-specific shit didn't do much for Chris in that matchup while requiring him to land twice as much successful attacks compared to what he could do in Bojutsu.

Unless people manage to level up Ancestral neutral game to the point of being undeniably stronger by considerable margin than the one of Bojutsu KJ (which sounds scary if you think about it), then playing A-Jin is a waste of almost half of your effort.

For the record, if I'm going to be proven wrong on my opinion about A-Jin, I'll be happy. But that would mean we'll be dealing with pretty damn oppressive character on the scene.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
ancestral was already on the same lvl and maybe even the overall stronger version before the patch came out imo
No offence man but that is completely wrong. Ancestral is a decent variation but nowhere close to being as good as pre-patch Bojutsu. Even now after the patch Bojutsu is still way better. The variations don't even compare.

Last edited:
No offence man but that is completely wrong. Ancestral is a decent variation but nowhere close to being as good as pre-patch Bojutsu. Even now after the patch Bojutsu is still way better. The variations don't even compare.
99% of the ppl on the takeda forums said shirai ryu was the best variation
only 1% thought ronin was good
and at the end that 1% was probably right
cage redfield has shown what ronin is capable off
it only takes rly talented players to actually find out how good a variation rly is

Ronin is 4 times more difficult to play than shirai ryu
ancestral is more difficult to play than bojutsu
at the end of the day we ask ourselves does more difficult to play / more effort you have to put into a variation in order to win mean the same as
that this variation is worse?

its the same about bojutsu and ancestral KJ how many ppl did actually spend so much time into the lab with ancestral to tell that bojutsu is so much better?
has anyone tried shaolin yet?

like I said this is just my opinion and I might be completely wrong
but players like jae_maester and cage_redfield has shown me the opposite

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Idk why everyone has this mentality that because 90% of players think one variation or Character sucks that they can't be good. Some people may be better than all of us at any time but they don't compete. This is a stupid argument.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
it only takes rly talented players to actually find out how good a variation rly is

at the end of the day we ask ourselves does more difficult to play / more effort you have to put into a variation in order to win mean the same as

its the same about bojutsu and ancestral KJ how many ppl did actually spend so much time into the lab with ancestral to tell that bojutsu is so much better?

Can you provide some details on what is actually good about ancestral? What strong tactics/options does to have that Bojutsu doesn't? What matchups and scenarios does it fare better in? What you've said so far has been rather vague and amounts to "trust me guys, this dude bodied me with ancestral, it's amazing"

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Idk why everyone has this mentality that because 90% of players think one variation or Character sucks that they can't be good. Some people may be better than all of us at any time but they don't compete. This is a stupid argument.
It has nothing to do with what other people think. It has to do with facts. Bojutsu is a superior variation for various reasons. The only good things about Ancestral are the universal normals and strings, i.e. that neutral jump punch and his 50/50. Bojutsu has superior armour, much more damage, better specials, and most importantly the ability to land big conversions consistently.

Objectively Bojutsu is completely superior except for zoning. Ancestral is in no way bad, it's actually pretty strong (and my personal favourite), but it's nothing in comparison to Bojutsu.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
It may be superior but you're missing the point. ANY variation can win a match. It depends on your reaction time, hands down. I don't even use KJ he's wack compared to KL but I still know that I could kick the shit out of him in bojutsu with anyone almost given the practice.

How many people do you think know their matchups against ronin?

Nybear

Noob
It may be superior but you're missing the point. ANY variation can win a match. It depends on your reaction time, hands down. I don't even use KJ he's wack compared to KL but I still know that I could kick the shit out of him in bojutsu with anyone almost given the practice.
Well yeah, but that's not the debate. The debate is, if played at 100% proficiency, which variation's tools are objectively better suited to counteract the tools of the rest of the cast. Coming to the conclusion that one is better doesn't detract from the others or in any way state they're useless or can't win.