What's new

Analysis: Chris G (Reptile) vs Michael Bolton(Sheeva!!!)

Since this is probably the first time any Sheeva play has been recorded in a tournament, let alone made it into Top 8, I think this warrants some special attention. So here's the match:

Personally I think Bolton did a pretty decent job with Sheeva. He was really strong throughout the tournament until he ran into Chris G. First of all I think Reptile is a really difficult matchup for Sheeva, 2nd Chris G is arguably one of the best MK9 players around. In the first round Bolton holds his own and wins, Chris G looks a bit unfamiliar with the matchup. But Chris quickly adapts, and although every round is very close, Chris G takes both sets 2-0. The last round Bolton is beaten pretty convincingly.

Things that I think he did well: He was pretty effective with EX GnP, he used Telestomp pretty intelligently, good use of fireballs after a knockdown.
Things he could have done better: I noticed he didn't go for low grabs at all which is understandable considering how risky it is, he didn't go for big combos in general, and he played a lot of keep away (maybe this was due to tournament pressure).

What do you guys think?

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
It's really amazing how a Sheeva player almost beat one of the best MK9 players.

I fought AU digimon at EVO and he kicked my ass hard the first game (I main Reptile too). I think part of it has to do with not knowing the matchup. If the Reptile knows the matchup then it's really a tough fight for Sheeva, I ended up winning the two following games but I will say I was incredibly nervous that I was about to get beat down by a Sheeva.

The interesting thing about Micheal Bolton is how often he got that telestomp in. I'm curious as to whether that was him predicting where Chris G will go or if it was just Chris G falling into it. Either way that is crazy impressive how he was landing it so foten.

Big Frog

Noob
I'm assuming it was more of him predicting it. By that I mean he steered it. You have like a split second to decide where to put her on the ground so he was just watching where Chris moved.

It's so awesome to see a Sheeva in a tournament and go this far. Makes me frolic like a school girl.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Decent commentary given how little Sheeva play there is.

Chris G definately was not familiar with the Telestomp... at all. Haha. But he adapted towards the end by backing up rather than always dashing forward.

I wouldn't have played it differently either (other than doing ground stomps at different times than he did). I know his low meter meant he ate high combos, but you pretty much need burn meter for armor in this match-up.

Decent commentary given how little Sheeva play there is.

Chris G definately was not familiar with the Telestomp... at all. Haha. But he adapted towards the end by backing up rather than always dashing forward.

I wouldn't have played it differently either (other than doing ground stomps at different times than he did). I know his low meter meant he ate high combos, but you pretty much need burn meter for armor in this match-up.
I think Chris just decided to eat the random telestomps and focus on rushing Sheeva down since she's so damn slow. He also had no respect for Sheeva's wakeup (because it sux).

I honestly can't think of any strategy to win this fight other than baiting dash and punishing with throw. I find nuetral jumps are sometimes useful since you can avoid and punish dash elbow with njp, it can also fake your opp out and make them think you are going for a telestomp. But if your opp knows the matchup and he doesn't make many mistakes you are pretty much done.

Massicus

Noob
I remember seeing Digimon on the stream.
I was like what a Sheeva player calling himself AU digimon hahahaha I wonder how he looks like.
And then suddenly this big black guy stands up after being defeated.