What's new

An idea for the variation system.

We all know how unbalanced the variation system is. Moves that should be one slot are two and vice versa. But let's just say them introduce a "Character Passive" slot for customs. It would function as a 4th slot point but you would choose one move you'd want to apply to all your custom variations. But what would be different is that this move breaks conflicts. For example, I love Fannado for kitana. So I'd slot it into my Character passive slot. That means I could choose an input for fannado that isn't used and run both fan lift AND fannado together, giving me an awesome zoning tool in fannado and combo versatility of fan lift.

The only restriction would be if a move costs two in the character passive slot, you only have two points left to use.

Thoughts on this?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think it'd be easier to simply focus on balancing the variation system as is. Seems like your idea would open up a ton more permutations of possible OP variations across the cast. You'd end up with a ton of situations of moves being combined that were never meant to be combined, or in most cases were specially meant to never be combined.

Hot_DNA

Noob
We all know how unbalanced the variation system is. Moves that should be one slot are two and vice versa. But let's just say them introduce a "Character Passive" slot for customs. It would function as a 4th slot point but you would choose one move you'd want to apply to all your custom variations. But what would be different is that this move breaks conflicts. For example, I love Fannado for kitana. So I'd slot it into my Character passive slot. That means I could choose an input for fannado that isn't used and run both fan lift AND fannado together, giving me an awesome zoning tool in fannado and combo versatility of fan lift.

The only restriction would be if a move costs two in the character passive slot, you only have two points left to use.

Thoughts on this?
I'm the jade you played yesterday..... Thanks for the trash message even though our match came down to the last round lol

If your aim is balance what you're suggesting would only further complicate things. I think the current system is fine, we just need that new balance patch to actually adjust move costs etc to where they're more appropriate for Ultimate.

Dead moves in ranked variations, powerful moves that were previously meant for a specific variation now available anywhere apart from direct conflicts, etc.

The time and effort required to execute adding this special 4th slot would be better spent just balancing what we already have further.