What's new

An Honest look at Swamp Thing's possible buffs

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I'll elaborate:

- His jump is pure shit and needs to be addressed.
- A 6 frame d1 would help him in pressure situations. His mobility is trash. He needs something to help him from being smothered. The d1xxGT tick window can be altered as well so that it's not interruptible.
- Green Thumb is fine as is. The versatility of that throw warrants it being slower. You want a faster grab, just do a normal throw.
- 113 being special cancelable seems overkill. I'm just thinking about his corner with that string...
- Vine Grab. The Vine Grab would function as normal only now the moment you pop the move you can MB immediately and gain armor. It does the same damage as the regular one. If you want the additional damage, you MB on hit, regardless if you meterburned it before for armor or not. So:

Vine Grab (no armor, normal damage)
MB Vine Grab (one hit of armor, normal damage)
Vine Grab, MB (no armor, extra damage)
MB Vine Grab, MB (one hit of armor, extra damage)
Seems balanced to me.

- Changing Up Vine Grab notation would make it easier to use in neutral situations on reaction as an AA. Why it is how it is now is beyond illogical.
Changing the notation effects Log Kick, which isn't that big a deal.
- Log kick should be safe on block. It's punishable hard on whiff and block and trash on hit since he can't move til the log leaves the stage. It serves no function in this state. Making it safe on block gives it a purpose at least within his 50/50 pressure strings.
- His clone does shit damage. He's not going to outzone a zoner with it being mid. The MB getting him in free would still be a gamble because on trade I'd have it do what it does now. It being armored would be overkill, even if it stayed how it is now. He'd get in for free pretty easily.
- Healing on trait would be a waste since he can already heal off GT. I can already imagine the healing ability in the corner with the two combined. Doesn't seem like a great payoff. The trait giving him meter however would help him TREMENDOUSLY against zoners as he'll have an answer if he gets a bar as I proposed. This would cause the zoner to have to think about their approach a bit more instead of spamming out ST.

In the end, it's up to Paulo and co. My buffs I feel facilitate one another and the character archetype as a whole. Everything would have a purpose. We'll see what happens though.

#savethegreen
Armor on vine would be hella OP imo, especially if you could chose when to MB it, agreed his clone does shit dmg, i think high is fine for it possibly it should come out alittle faster, but on MB it should do more dmg, trait healing is a good idea imo, who even mb's GT? waste of meter for pathetic healing.

D. R.

Noob
Armor on vine would be hella OP imo, especially if you could chose when to MB it, agreed his clone does shit dmg, i think high is fine for it possibly it should come out alittle faster, but on MB it should do more dmg, trait healing is a good idea imo, who even mb's GT? waste of meter for pathetic healing.
Armor on vine would be great. It's trading damage to gain an advantage in damage and positioning. I'd have it to where you'd have to commit to the MB on start up otherwise yeah, it'd kinda be dumb. Clone being made faster would turn ST into a zoner because it's +15 on hit and has decent recovery on whiff. Kinda defeats the purpose of his archetype if he can zone effectively. Trait healing him seems like such a serious waste. It won't help against zoners unless it's a significant gain but whatever. We'll know what we have soon enough.

D. R.

Noob
Tomorrow we get some patch notes with inevitable Swamp Thing buffs and coincidentally I unlocked ST 5 piece gear set that gives him healing. So I did some messing around to see what having healing on trait would look like in competitive mode. I did some bs max healing scemarios. Ignore the damage done to Ivy, just focus on Swamp Thing's healing. His health is the same as competitive mode and the trait healing is not effected by the ability stat even though it says it is (I tested):

Imo, giving trait the ability to heal in competitive mode would be pure trash if they just port over the gear equivalent. At best, you get 32 ticks at 3.125 a piece for a grand total of 100 hit points, excluding if the opponent is chipping you out. Oh joy. I'd rather get a tick of meter for 32 ticks like I proposed.

Oh well. Tomorrow we'll know everything!

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Tomorrow we get some patch notes with inevitable Swamp Thing buffs and coincidentally I unlocked ST 5 piece gear set that gives him healing. So I did some messing around to see what having healing on trait would look like in competitive mode. I did some bs max healing scemarios. Ignore the damage done to Ivy, just focus on Swamp Thing's healing. His health is the same as competitive mode and the trait healing is not effected by the ability stat even though it says it is (I tested):

Imo, giving trait the ability to heal in competitive mode would be pure trash if they just port over the gear equivalent. At best, you get 32 ticks at 3.125 a piece for a grand total of 100 hit points, excluding if the opponent is chipping you out. Oh joy. I'd rather get a tick of meter for 32 ticks like I proposed.

Oh well. Tomorrow we'll know everything!
That's pathetic lol. If they do add healing to swampy's trait, better do double the healing

D. R.

Noob
That's pathetic lol. If they do add healing to swampy's trait, better do double the healing
The more I think about it one hit of armor while standing in trait wouldn't be such a bad idea. He'd be able to combat zoning and in the corner he'd be scary as all hell in a competent players hands.

... Is it too late for this buff? :DOGE

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Will that be enough though? They didn't mention any changes to his jump, walkspeed, useless overhead, hard meterless midscreen combos, gaps and slow buttons.

D. R.

Noob
Will that be enough though? They didn't mention any changes to his jump, walkspeed, useless overhead, hard meterless midscreen combos, gaps and slow buttons.
We'll find out soon enough. Changes on buttons, specials and strings will be in the patch notes. I for one am ecstatic about these changes alone. Faster trait recovery means more optimal damage combos with trait being set up and single hit projectile trades will always be in his favor. Its better than nothing.

Altsa

To sum up the patch stream:

-Trait recovers much faster
-While standing in trait, you have armor on Vine Grabs but only if it connects
-He can now spread trait with MB roll and f2,1 (and potentially MBdb3? and others)
-Trait can still "grow" after Swamp Thing blocks a move
-More effective health

No mention or showing about his b3,f3,s2,f233 or b223 we gotta wait and see if there is any other buffs.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Trait to mb roll is in!!! Yeay to pre release theory strats lol

Nice they decreased recovery on trait and the vine change is a interesting one, as mentioned I wonder has any of his gaps changed, d1-gt not being beaten by normal be nice :)

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
The buffs all sound positive, I'm just really hoping for a couple of frame buffs on his normals.

I'm really curious how his trait buffs will work. Ending in df2,2 within the garden could leave some nice setups into pressure.