What's new

An "Existential Crisis" of sorts.

The past few days have been rough. Like, really rough. This new game's horrid online has put my love for it and my desire to back it on life support. And I have the game's logo tattooed on my fucking thigh.

So now here I am, about 18 or so hours away from what would be my first major tournament asking myself, "Do I really want to do this?". Not only 'cause money is tight right now and it would leave me near broke, but I don't feel that I'm adequately prepared.

Here in Australia the FGC (for MK at least) is kinda small. That's what I see, anyway. Sure, we have players from all around the country that will be there but, in the few offline gatherings I've been to in my city, there's only been about 4-5 guys that are consistently there to play it. These guys are top notch players and do push me to learn more and git gud, but I want more. I want more experience, more people to run sets with and more opportunities to level up because I feel like I really have in the short month I've been in the offline scene.

Now this is where the problem arises. The online.

Anyone that's actually payed attention to my statuses knows I bitch and complain about it a lot. I feel that it's justified though, seeing as how when I get beaten by someone nowhere near the level of the guys I play offline due to online tactics, input delay, inputs not even responding at times and not being able to punish them accordingly, it infuriates me. So much so that it literally makes me physically sick.

I think what infuriates me the most is the inconsistency of it. I'd just suck up the loss, adapt or move along if I didn't have to wait on average twenty minutes between games. And before you say "Just go to rooms/Just play people on your friends list", that's another problem within itself. No one really wants to play you when they have a 3% chance of winning. And the ones that actually do present a challenge usually don't stay connected to me for long or are that laggy that I can't properly respond to things as I'd want to, thus making things much harder than they should be.

So this all comes back to what I'm asking myself right now; "Do I really want to do this?".

The bad is outweighing the good right now.

Good - offline is great, helps me learn and is generally a good time, helps me confront anxieties I've had around it all.

Bad - online is a poisonous environment, isn't a good time for the most part, let's people get away with too much, stunts my growth and learning as an offline competitive player, kicks my anxiety and frustration up tenfold, stupid waiting times between games, offline events aren't as frequent in Australia (as far as I know).

So yeah, if you've read this far, thanks. Feedback would be appreciated. Have any of you ever been in this situation?

tl;dr - "Do I really wanna do this?". Fuck online. Not sure if I wanna play in a major due to online not giving me enough preparation.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Man this online experience is really weird. Some people say that it is absolutely unplayable, while me, although the PC port is horrendous, get absolutely amazing connections that allow me to punish blocked d1s...

Maybe it's because I don't play against randoms and mostly play against people on my friends list whom I know have great connections. Or if I play against randoms, I don't give a slightest damn about what happens in that match and just do it for the lolz.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
At least you have offline. Where I live, nobody is any good at fighting games. 4 years of practice in every competitive fighter on the market, and the only opponents I can play are on my shitty internet.

Man this online experience is really weird. Some people say that it is absolutely unplayable, while me, although the PC port is horrendous, get absolutely amazing connections that allow me to punish blocked d1s...

Maybe it's because I don't play against randoms and mostly play against people on my friends list whom I know have great connections. Or if I play against randoms, I don't give a slightest damn about what happens in that match and just do it for the lolz.
That's another thing, pretty much everyone on my friends list I have okay at best connections with. One guy is in the same city as me and we always lag out after the third game or so.

At least you have offline. Where I live, nobody is any good at fighting games. 4 years of practice in every competitive fighter on the market, and the only opponents I can play are on my shitty internet.
There's always some poor sod that's worse off than me. That's gotta really suck, man. If I were in that situation, I wouldn't have even bothered in the first place. Props for sticking it out.

That's another thing, pretty much everyone on my friends list I have okay at best connections with. One guy is in the same city as me and we always lag out after the third game or so.

There's always some poor sod that's worse off than me. That's gotta really suck, man. If I were in that situation, I wouldn't have even bothered in the first place. Props for sticking it out.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
this is my dilemma from the end of igau to mkx

i was an online fiend for the majority of injustice but by the end when i was actually learning i realized i couldn't use most of what i learned because of bad online plus not having good internet

now even into mkx im reticent to jump into online when i know i could be in the lab where i'd actually learn and figure some stuff out

also- i'm 1000 times saltier losing online than offline as well lol